Age/weight restrictions for motorhomes

Guest Sally Pepper

Guest Sally Pepper
Dear all - could anyone help with this query? I would be grateful to know what the criteria is for passing a medical check for driving a M/Home when one reaches 70 years of age, I have also been told that I cannot drive a vehicle over 3500. Is this correct? Whilst I am not yet 70 I am considering purchasing another vehicle and do not want to make a mistake by purchasing one that I am not eligible to drive in years to come. Any info. on this subject would be gratefully appreciated. Colin Taylor

[QUOTE]Eagleyes - 2006-09-11 9:10 AM Dear all - could anyone help with this query? I would be grateful to know what the criteria is for passing a medical check for driving a M/Home when one reaches 70 years of age, I have also been told that I cannot drive a vehicle over 3500. Is this correct? Whilst I am not yet 70 I am considering purchasing another vehicle and do not want to make a mistake by purchasing one that I am not eligible to drive in years to come. Any info. on this subject would be gratefully appreciated. Colin Taylor[/QUOTE] Hello Colin, Details on renewing your licence when you reach 70 are at http://tinyurl.com/qa6sy form D46 P gives all the details but is not available on line Basically if you can't pass the medical you are restricted to driving vehicles up to 3500kg. I speak from personal experience, I was unable to pass the medical three years ago. Regards Don

Colin, The position is as follows (note that, IN ALL CASES, it is the Maximum Authorised Mass or MAM of the vehicle that counts and NOT its ACTUAL weight; MAM is the MAXIMUM a vehicle or trailer is allowed to weigh and is defined on the vehicle plate by the manufacturer): 1. On reaching 70 you must renew your driving licence - and then repeat the process every 3 years thereafter. 2. There are two DVLA medical standards - Group 1 and Group 2. The former is all that is required for a B, B Auto, B+E and B Auto+E licence which allows you to drive: - any vehicle up to 3500 KGS MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) - any trailer that is within the towing limits of that vehicle (this is the +E part). <> 3. To retain your rights to C1 and C1+E, which allow you to drive a vehicle over 3500 Kgs MAm up to 7500 Kgs MAM, you must gain the Group 2 Medical. This requires DVLA Form 4 to be completed by your GP, and he will make a charge (I have heard of charges up to £100 or more, but the recommended charge is around £35 to £50) for doing so. 4. To comply with the Group 2 standards which also apply to HGV/LGV drivers, you must be in good health with good eyesight and have no conditions which are reportable to the DVLA. These are broadly conditions involving heart, lungs, brain and eyes, or those which can lead to fits or blackouts. These standards apply not just to those over 70 but to any driver at any age for a licence above the B category. IN SUMMARY, if you buy a new vehicle over 3500 Kgs you are committing yourself to a medical every three years with no guarantees. For example, I had a small lung tumour successfully removed earlier this year which immediately bars me from the Group 2 medical for at least two years - thank goodness we downsized from a 4200 Kgs MAM motohome to one of 3500 Kgs MAM last year! You can get much more detailed information from: (A) The post Office has DVLA leaflets about Driving Licences (B) The DVLA website (www.dvla.gov.uk) which has complete details of the medical requirements.

Guest Sally Pepper
Many thanks for your time and for getting back to me so quickly. My sincere thanks to those kind people who responded to my query. Regards Colin

I would be interested to know the who recommends the charge of £35 to £50. I have just had my medical for PSV & HGV. I was charged £98.50. Last year it was £95.00, my doctor tells me it is the British Medical Council recommedation. My last doctor before he retired charged £20.00 or £25.00 It is just another ripoff for twenty minnuits work.

Doctors tend to refer to a magazine/newpaper that lists charges for a huge variety of chargeable activities. I just got my Doctor to sign the equivalent of a DVLA Form 4 for my flying licence and he charged £15 - though no medical was involved, I spent well over £15 worth of his time explaining nwhat was involved. To cover overheads (receptionists, nurses, premises) and his own salary, a GP needs income of at least £113 per hour. This is a lot less than your solicitor or a management consultant will charge!

Archived