fitting your own solar panel ?

fesspark

Hi you motorhomeowners, I thought I would get some quotes to have a 150 watt solar panel fitted to my new Buerstner m,home, what a shock when I was quoted sevenhunderd pounds and the labour worked out at seventy plus pounds an hour, anyone near .Or maybe advise me how it works to fit it myself ? Cheers, fessparkme in teignmouth/Dawlish devon know of anyone cheaper

fesspark - 2014-05-31 5:02 PM

Hi you motorhomeowners, I thought I would get some quotes to have a 150 watt solar panel fitted to my new Buerstner m,home, what a shock when I was quoted sevenhunderd pounds and the labour worked out at seventy plus pounds an hour, anyone near .Or maybe advise me how it works to fit it myself ? Cheers, fessparkme in teignmouth/Dawlish devon know of anyone cheaper

IMO for most of us, fitting your own solar panel is comparable with doing your own dentistry.....foolhardy. Get a number of quotes, its a competivel world

If you have good DIY skills and take your time it is very easy to do.

You need to take time and plan out where you want the panel to be on the roof, how you will get the wiring through and to the leisure batteries.

Suitable brackets and Sikaflex and off you go.

This subject is often brought up in forums so try a bit of research.

fesspark - 2014-06-02 5:07 PM

Hello Derek, I have had a price from carfi and I have ordered a 130 watt, thanks for the advice, I wondered what the satellite prices are like? fesspark

I'm going for a posh one, 85cm, with GPS and auto skew, so better in the fringe areas. Two grand plus, though!!

• 3 weeks later...

Brian from Car-Fi just left. Arrived at 6.45am and has spent all day fitting satellite dish, solar panel and reversing camera.

Can't recommend him highly enough. Thoroughly professional job basically stripping the inside walls of the panel van and installing everything seamlessly.

The 85cm Mecatronic dish with GPS and auto skew located Astra 28.2 quickly. Looking forward to using it further afield.

Pleased you got a good result.

Price does not appear to mean much these days I'm an ardent DIY'er just fitted my own 2 x 100 watt panels, I was going to fit a panel to my mates Carthago but he decided he would rather trust it to his dealer on his brand new van they charged £500 to fit 100w panel. The result was the biggest bodge I've ever seen and my mate agreed. The panel was mounted using 4 plasic corners with self tappers Sikaflex to the roof with ½ thick Skiafex the panel not sitting even, didn't bother to use the 6mm solar cable that is already fitted by Carthgo used 1.5 mm mains cable, didn't connect via the CBE control panel, used a 5 quid regulator.

The point I'm making if you had taken the 700 quote you had doesn't mean you would have necessary got a good job. Best to go on personal recommendations.

Hello all you folks who replied to my questions, Brian came to me later than arranged through he said traffic but I must say he impressed me with his pro work,no wires left showing clen sealed roof and everything working fine, thanks again to all of you who helped me, Fess P Holcombe Dawlish,

• 2 weeks later...

Getting solar panels fitted is a high risk purchase because you don't know how the job should be done and so you won't know if its been bodged.

We bought from the trade area at a big event and had panels fitted on site. There were three dealers offering the service. We bought competitively but not the cheapest. I went back and forth a couple of time over the weekend asking questions about the installation and gradually learned that some of what I was being told was bulls**t.

We bought from an established family firm which was the one which planned to use the proper (more expensive) regulator for a Hymer and link it into the Schaudt Electroblock system properly. They also explained how they sealed the cable holes in the roof which sounded reliable.

We've had the system three years so far and it's behaved perfectly.

Supplier was: http://www.solarsolutionsltd.co.uk/

I fitted a 200 watt myself bit of a phaff but not exactly brain stretching quite simple You can look it up on you tube for info if your handy at DIY have a gom most vans have plug in to take after market equipment

Archived