Brilliant weekend at Bath and West except .....

Lizzy

.... for the crap catering fascilities! Dried cheese roll, tasteless tea/coffee ....... talk about captive market :-( BUT: we now know that we don't want a motorhome at present. The manufacturers are charging A LOT! 2nd hand [sorry used] 'vans are too expensive. We reckon that when the bottom drops out of this fast growing market in 3-5 years will be the right time to buy. I did see 3 models I liked - one was too long but exactly the layout I'm looking for: the other 2 were OK but far too pricey: even so when I went back for a 2nd look, both had 'sold' notices on. Hubby and I can hotel for the rest of my life more cheaply especially when we take into account running costs/camp site high prices/hauling water etc..... Our guest house this weekend was peaceful, had a good view and smashing breakfast. What used to be a family oriented, cheap easy holiday seems to have turned into an up-market 'keep up with the Jones' scenario. I have friends with children who find UK camp sites too expensive so they 'do' Butlins where everything is laid on. Good weekend spent. Good Information Gathering opportunity. Everyone was friendly and helpful: LOTS of lovely dogs on site so I had the best of both Worlds :-) Anyone else there?

Hi Lizzy- I do so agree with you about the high cost of vans today, but unfortunatly the buying public do seem to demand all the latest gadgets and luxuarys with bigger and bigger base vehicles. The amount of V.A.T on the finished vehicle does not help either. the days of John Hunt with a simple van, foot pump cold water to tap and single glazed windows ect still had a element of adventure to explore. Today many motorhomers sit in luxuriant isolation worrying about why the central heating system is not working properly and the satilite dish wont pick up Eastenders in southern Spain. Rant over ! Chas

Hiya Lizzy. I treated the wife to sunday lunch in the upstairs suite at the onsite restaurant, and for less than £20 we both enjoyed a really good dinner plus after walking around all morning in the heat, one of the best pints of bitter i,ve had for a long time, and all with the luxury of air con to boot. Can,t comment on the fast food though, as the wife packs enough food to last a fortnight. One of those femail traits I suppose. As for the high prices, remember that this is a chosen lifestyle and should not be compared to other ways of holidays although I agree with you on the prices being shown. £50,000 for a van conversion. !. I also agree with Chas that things do seem to be becoming over complicated and often we pay for things we could well do without. Howard.

Lizzy, Seems to me you've made up your mind and your diatribe is just about justifying it! If we each did a cost-benefit analysis on our hobbies, we'd all end up at home watching television and doing nothing. Like all hobbies, there is a fixed cost involved and the cost per occasion depends wholly on how many occasions. I share an aircraft - huge fixed cost, but my cost per hour is quite low because I use it a lot. Same with the motorhome. As for the bottom falling out of the market, don't be too sure. It hasn't done so, even in previous economic slumps. Motorhome ownership involves a minute percentage of the population, so it would take a really big problem to affect the markets that much. However, each to their own.

Although I realise the initial cost of a van is alot, the depreciation costs of a secondhand van are quite low. We lost £1000 over 2 and a half years with our last van, which even if this was £2000 it would not be bad for countless weeks and weekends away. Using CLs can reduce the cost of site fees. And it is a holiday where dogs can go too!!

And you don't have to get up early for breakfast at a certain time. Or be there at a certain time for any other meals. No sleeping in other people's beds. Usually a great view to wake up to. Don't always have to book in advance. If you don't like the place you stop at just move on. I could go on but get the point Lizzy? It's not just about the initial costs. Regards, david

"As for the bottom falling out of the market, don't be too sure. ....... " It cannot sustain such a high percentage of expensive new vans. Look at the 2nd hand market and how many are standing on dealership forecourts! Eventually folks will say 'enough is enough' ......... because there are not that many who can afford high-end prices. We did have a cuppa in the place mentioned but didn't want a cooked meal in the heat. Looked nice though, even had broad beans in the vegies choice ;-) so we were stumped a bit - will take our own sarnies next time! Still recovering ........ thanks to anyone we spoke to for advice onsite, everyone was so friendly and so many lovely dogs to stroke :-D

Archived