throttle problems still.help.

tringy

Hi.after my last post about ducato 2.3 o7 po638 code fault, as serggested I have cleaned all plugs in the fuse box and all plugs I can get to.i have also replaced the pedal acttuator as this was not expensive and easy, but orignal problem still exists.when first started the engine will not rev more than 1000 rpm and is lumpy .if I switch off imeadaitley and start it runs fine.is tthe next step to replace the throttle body and is this expensive and easy to do .i would appeciate any help on this problem. Regards. tringy.

Hello,

This is not presenting itself as a typical throttle body fault because normally if there is a fault; switching it off and back again will rarely cause it to reset itself but since you have already checked and replaced the other most likely parts you should now proceed as if you have a sticking throttle body.

You should remove the black turbo pipe from the left hand side of the throttle body(TB) situated at the front of the engine and obviously with the engine switched OFF. Wearing a glove you should feel inside the TB and locate a metal flap. You should be able to move this flap quite easily but there should be a uniform amount of resistance throughout the movement from open to closed. If there is a significant resistance at any point in the movement and repeated manipulation of the flap does not improve this; the chances are that it needs to be replaced. These earlier models need the movement of the solenoid attached to it to move the flap and the connection to the flap can become stuck or even break. Later devices have a spring inside that always returns them to the closed position when not 'powered-up'. They are a vast improvement.

There will be a coating of oil inside the TB. This is normal, and highly preferable to the huge quantities of gunge that will accumulate in the EGR systems of certain other engines.

N

The pipe that you need to remove is easily accessible from above. If it is not particularly 'sticky' just the repetitive movement back and forth may well free it off enough. The presence of oil in the pipe should provide lubrication enough. If the problem persists and you have not got time to repair the vehicle before your trip you can remove the right hand pipe from the EGR solenoid valve for the time being. This should prevent the symptoms that you are experiencing for the time being but is not a proper fix. It would just delay the inevitable. The EGR solenoid valve can be found under the windscreen scuttle above the throttle body. It is hidden behind a metal bracket and is cylindrical in shape with two pipes and an electrical cable connected to it. Just roll the right hand pipe while pushing it backwards.

Colin is right but his problem with the mice and mice debris was more apparent while driving. It would still be worthwhile checking the air filter and pipes to and from it; particularly from the bottom.

Archived