Calais Again

whisturx

I looked at this and other recent Calais threads in the hope of finding out the current situation at the Calais aire, in view of rumours of its closure and / or influx of asylum seekers - we are hoping to stay there next week. However, I am getting a bit depressed by the seemingly increasing number of caustic comments made by some posters, which is putting me off this forum. Can we stick to the subject in hand please?

So - is the beachfront aire still open, or do I head straight for the yacht basin/ cite Europe next Monday evening?

derek500 - 2014-06-02 5:13 PMif you're going south why not just go to the Auchan at Saint-Martin-Boulogne? Out of the way, quiet, cheaper diesel*, free wi-fi from McDs...* currently 1.279€
and also a service point at the filling station we overnight there on a regular basis a good stopover place.We stopped at city europe last week no problems there , if heading east the aire at Arques is ideal about 20 miles from Calais same distance as the Auchan at St Martin Bologne.

Situation Wednesday 4 June pm:

At Auchan store/fuel station/Majestic at Coquelles no sign of any illegals on the car parks or nearby, five motorhomes in Auchan car park.

At Cite Europe two illegals creeping about near the motorhome park but looking at the coaches. Probably 15 or so motorhomes parked with people coming and going which makes it risky for them. On leaving we saw three more on the roof of the nearby undercover car park(maybe our two plus one) watching the traffic. So up to no good! We spoke to our neighbouring van also an Autotrail and they were staying with their van so we asked if they would look out for ours. We parked with habitation doors facing each other and did our shopping and had lunch. We didn't feel threatened. If visiting worth looking at Terre de Boissons on the ground floor where Tesco used to be. One of the best selections of wine we have seen and not expensive.

On route to the ferry port we didn't see any more people until we arrived and there were 10 or so illegals walking in the dunes very near the beach and just east of the port fence.

We didn't see any police activity at all.

Two other points: the aire at Avenue Raymond Poincare was open about 25 vans there but the old camp site nearby has been levelled and has piles of rubble and sand all over it, the buildings have gone.

All the best.

Archived