We're off in the morning for a while

Mel B

Just signing on for a short while tonight!

We've been busy all day getting the van ready for our holiday for just over 5 weeks starting tomorrow! We'll be setting off in the morning travelling down to the Chunnel for a tea-time crossing then it's anybody's guess where we'll actually end up ... so far I know it'll start in France but where we'll end up I don't know as hubby keeps changing his mind ... I think it might be northern Germany but until we get there I'm not betting on it!

I've got some free (100mb per month) data sims from globalgig/mobidata so hopefully will be able to log on occasionally to keep an eye on what you're all getting up to!

With the upcoming 'anniversary' I'm not sure how 'welcome' we'll be if we do make it to Germany though ... Might have to take a VERY slow drive there so we don't arrive until after 10th June!

Try to be 'good' whilst I'm away and not hurt any 'teddies' by throwing them out of your prams! (lol)

Hi Mel might see you at chunnell we go through today at 16.20 not sure if over nighting at city europe or the aire in Arques now 3.50 € pn . We are heading down to Chamonix to spend some time with our son and partner, , then onto Annecey and beyond. We overnighted at city europe last Monday night 26th on our way back home with around 10 other motorhomes parked up no problems there. If you do head towards Germany the aire at Charleville Mezieries is worth a stopover lovelly town. Have a good trip. 

Guest pelmetman
Have a nice time Mel ;-)................we can't get away until July :'(..............and even then it'll only be a fortnight on a CC site providing midge bait :-S........................but have booked France for September to recover B-)..............

Hi Kelly, we are currently in the car park at Eurotunnel on the UK side, near to the last electronic notice board just before the roundabout, awaiting a crossing ... we're booked on the 18:20 but whether we'll be on it is anyone's guess seeing as there's a broken down train in the tunnel!!!! *-)

We'll be heading for Cite Europe for the night so if you do end up there we'll pop and say hello.

We will set off somewhere in the morning ... gawd knows where though! :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2014-06-03 4:16 PM

We'll be heading for Cite Europe for the night so if you do end up there we'll pop and say hello.

Do the migrants know? :-S.................they're in for a shock :D...............

• 4 weeks later...

Oops, just realised that I posted my update on a new thread instead of on here, so I've just cut and pasted it below:

Mel B - 2014-06-21 6:26 PM

Hello all! Just got the free internet on line so having a play. Currently in Germany, last night we were at Bad Berka or Big Bertha as we refer to it! Now in Mellrichstadt somewhere below Weimar! We spent a good few days in Holland and has some stonking weather, temperatures over 30 at time ... yes really! We've had very little rain during the day, just the odd bit of drizzle, usually over within a few mins, with heavier doses overnight at times but otherwise it's been lovely and sunny most of the time.

We really enjoyed Holland despite it being quite flat and found some nice little villages to look at and lakes and sea to potter by/in/on. We went up towards the top of Germany and along the coast heading East but got fed up of most of the beaches being 'no dogs' and those that did allow them being expensive to go on at a least 3 euros each for us!!!

We've seen some markets in Holland and German, a floumarkt which we enjoyed and a more antique type one too. At at Dutch one I was looking at a bag and the lady said I could have it (I think it was a freebie with something) - it is perfect for our two 5L slimline water carriers to go into.

Now we're in Germany we are trying to resist the urge to buy the lovely ice-creams ... so far we've had 3 lots ... I'm attempting NOT to turn into a German beer keg shape but Chris is doing a VERY good impression of one already!

We've seen a few creatures on our travels including the deer, a stoat/weasel, shrew, loads of eagles/buzzards, alpacas/llamas (I don't know which is which!), a fox ... and the most unusual an ostrich which was in someone's garden!

We've had the bikes out once for a nice ride round in one of the villages we stayed at in Holland and they performed very well in a headwind and also up a steep slope. Chris got excited when he overtook some Dutch cyclists!!!

The dogs are loving it and Tazzy keeps doing a donkey impression as she doesn't want to come in when we go out with her ... she just likes to sit outside on her lead and would happily stay outside all night if we'd let her I'm sure.

I hope you are all behaving yourselves, I'll log on again when I get the chance.

Mel

Just a bit of an update today:

We decided to go to the Mosel and follow it for a while as we love rivers and the towns along them, and eventually ended up at a stellplatz at Losnich not far from Traben-Tarbach. It cost €6 a night to park on a lovely grassed field next to the river (they are all chargeable along the river) and only another €2 for electric all day/evening but we didn't need it. We enjoyed it there so stayed 2 nights in total just chilling out and pottering with the dogs, I had a nice canoe trip up and down for a few hours whilst Chris did his 'pottering' around the van etc and apparently chasing Lily all over the place as she was going nuts trying to find out where 'Mummy' had gone (when I went out in the canoe), running all over the place! We also got the bikes out and had a nice ride to Traben-Tarbach on them, about 12 miles in total, and they were great, whilst the route was flat there was a strong headwind both ways so the extra help that the power-assistance gave was very much appreciated.

The only downside was the seats which we'd transferred from our other normal folding bikes as they weren't that old ... but despite them being well padded with new gel covers too our bums were well and truly battered by the time we got back ... so first purchase when we get home will be some new 'touring' seats so that we can cover the longer rides in comfort. Before we got these bikes we only did short trips so the problem with the seats never became apparent - if we'd only had normal bikes we'd not even have done the ride at all, so having electric ones are encouraging us to use them more as we suspected they would.

We've now come out of Germany and spent last night in Luxembourg on the border near Remisch (?) and tonight are in France at Virton near the border with Belgium. We've had some lovely sunny and very hot weather but today has been a damp squib even though it's not cold fortunately. It's now finally stopped raining and dogs are out having a romp around in the rampart grounds and getting rid of their energy from being 'trapped' all day.

Only one sad thing ... no more cheap German ice-cream!!!!

Archived