Midges in Ireland?

Billggski

Guest JudgeMental
Naw........they were cast out along with the snakes (and the English) by St Patrick years ago :-D

The situation is much the same as Scotland, so few on the east coast but bad on the west coast where similar condiions exist i.e. water-logged ground, peat bogs, bracken etc. etc.

This year is one of the worst midge-fests I've experienced in Scotland in almost 50 years of holidaying and/or living there. The mild, wet winter has brought them out early and in large numbers.

I've no reason to think that Ireland's west coast would have faired any better so go well prepared if you're heading that way!

Guest pelmetman
Steve928 - 2014-06-04 12:43 PM

This year is one of the worst midge-fests I've experienced in Scotland in almost 50 years of holidaying and/or living there. The mild, wet winter has brought them out early and in large numbers.

Oh dear :'(................anybody know if there's a blood bank near Oban? :-S............as I fear I may need a few pints this July 8-).................

Been here a fortnight, haven't seen a midge- mind you the wind has not dropped below 10mph any day! If it's any help Diesel 1.44€, Guiness 4.40 per pint outside Dublin, campsites 20-28€ per night. Having a lovely time.

Bob

Archived