French Favourites?

Tracker

We are on our way next week for a short (two week) break in North West France - from St Malo round the coast via Brest to Nantes - more or less - and inland as and when the mood takes us - and I wonder if anyone has any favourite places, perhaps undiscovered as part of the tourist trail, they would like to share with us - just between ourselves of course?

We particularly like rugged coast, beaches, cliffs, rivers, estuaries, old villages and quaint small towns and don't mind the occasional museum, church, cathedral and chateau and with so many Aires to choose from we will not be using any campsites at all!

Thanks.

Hi Tracker, try Pointe de Millier, near to Douarnenez, if you walk down the restricted road, you can get access to a small beach and visit an old working mill in the woods, you can overnight in the carpark, but no facilities. A bit further west, is Pors peron, a small cove and beach just past the campsite, with good cliff walks either way, I will have a think about others and post again.

sheer lunar-see - 2014-06-04 8:57 PM

Hi Tracker, try Pointe de Millier, near to Douarnenez, if you walk down the restricted road, you can get access to a small beach and visit an old working mill in the woods, you can overnight in the carpark, but no facilities. A bit further west, is Pors peron, a small cove and beach just past the campsite, with good cliff walks either way, I will have a think about others and post again.

Can voucher for that, also Cameret, Morlaix, lots of places around the coast, we used to sail all around that area, really nice little coves. Don't know about parking but being France should be some where to park, often around marina's. We sailing back from Cherboroug Tues, probably stay on the marina before hand.

PJay

PS bring rain coats, just back in France and first rain in 2 months, and quiet chilly, after Spain.

Well at the end of your journey there's Piriac-sur-mer and Guerande which I recall as nice areas, but it was 30 years ago when last there 8-)

I also recall La Baule as being vastly over rated as being one of the so called best beaches in europe.

Tracker - 2014-06-04 7:16 PM

We are on our way next week for a short (two week) break in North West France - from St Malo round the coast via Brest to Nantes - more or less - and inland as and when the mood takes us - and I wonder if anyone has any favourite places, perhaps undiscovered as part of the tourist trail, they would like to share with us - just between ourselves of course?

We particularly like rugged coast, beaches, cliffs, rivers, estuaries, old villages and small towns and don't mind the occasional Midge. With wild camping permitted we will not be using any campsites at all!

Thanks.

With a wish list like that, just come up here. But don't tell anyone. ;-)

candapack - 2014-06-04 10:05 PM

don't mind the occasional Midge.

With a wish list like that, just come up here. But don't tell anyone. ;-)

Thanks Chris - the occasional midge is one thing but Scottish midges just do not do occasional when they can get away with hordes!

Thanks guys for the tips - all except Candapack that is!

You will find wonderfull views anywhere along that coast. Some of the aires are begining to charge but move inland and many are still free.

The parishes south of Morlaix became very competitive over what they call their closes around the churches. By the 15th century the Bishop banned them on the grounds of expense.

There are circular tours signed up. see the pics of Pleyben. The interior is rather special.

North of Breast there is one site we have used a couple of times but the name escapes me but its next to a natural harbour overlooked by a headland with several neolithic long barrows. One is being eroded by the sea.

559338940_Pleyben2.jpg.4b07546e03f5f3d4843949a8126ac6d5.jpg

Dinard, next door to St Malo is interesting, Dinan is certainly an attractive town, and to the south of your intended trip Auray is a very attractive town, with a small tidal harbour and some lovely restaurants. Do not get caught up just in the top of the town, make sure you head towards the riverside.

How about Benodet? Perhaps a little touristy in high season, but it sits on an attractive estuary with nice beaches.

I hope you enjoy your trip. It's an area we love, particularly for golfing holidays!

Mad Mitch.

Archived