HOUSE Insurance for those away long periods

Bulletguy

My Home Insurance is up for renewal so shopping around to see if i can better my renewal quote but above all, a Company who will insure property left vacant for long periods. As some will already know some companies won't insure. I've run a couple of multi-quote searches and found a couple of companies prepared to do a specified number of consecutive days, but wondered if anyone has a company they recommend?

I'm currently insured with Nationwide and not sure of their terms yet (re. long term vacancy), but knowing how they are it will be very restrictive.....plus their renewal figure is quite crazy.

Guest pelmetman
We got 90 days with the CC club even though we weren't members at the time, but have since rejoined again, and believe the empty house period can be extended to 120 days ;-)...........

We are also with the Nationwide and find them very helpful. Our last trip was for 90 days+ , as long as you comply with their terms and conditions.

Nationwide have in the last year or so changed the underwriter so some conditions have changed, especially around the frequency of checks on empty property....the periods are now longer! The level of temps and the length of the winter heating season have also changed, the temps are lower! & the heating period longer.

You pay your money and look happy. Good hunting, let us know how you get on.

starvin marvin - 2014-06-05 9:08 AM

We are also with the Nationwide and find them very helpful. Our last trip was for 90 days+ , as long as you comply with their terms and conditions.

Nationwide have in the last year or so changed the underwriter so some conditions have changed, especially around the frequency of checks on empty property....the periods are now longer! The level of temps and the length of the winter heating season have also changed, the temps are lower! & the heating period longer.

You pay your money and look happy. Good hunting, let us know how you get on.

Checked and double checked with Nationwide today after a lengthy phone call and the absolute max they will agree to is 60 consecutive days in one year......and it's only by prior arrangement. They also told me that if they agree to it one year, it doesn't mean they will in the future. So that was pretty much useless for me.

The Company i've gone with is Home Protect (underwriter being AXA) who give up to 180 consecutive days in a year. That's more than enough for me. Cost me slightly higher excess charges than Nationwide but the Policy is £70 less.

Main point being at least i have insurance cover for much longer periods than what Nationwide would agree.

Iain Strachan - 2014-06-07 11:51 AM

Ccc do 180 days, if you return for 1 day you can go for another 180.

I didn't look into CCC but did check if my own MH insurance company did House ins as well but they don't.

180 days is pretty good and if i want to i can increase it further. Considering i'd been with Nationwide a good few years, i felt that counted for nothing. All insurance is pretty much the same now. It's all about persuading someone to buy a Policy with them.......but none of 'em like paying out.

Archived