Sat Nav with GPS Co-ordinates

longbarn

Hi, Having just returned from France and having found that All the Aires, France was not up to date we bought a MIchelin Map in French Bretagne Aires camping car.Great but rather small but it did have GPS co-ordinates, so we have just bought a Tom tom go 600 and guess what you can't put in GPS.

Now what use is that??????

From you forum it sounds like not many do either.

Any on got any ideas?

Regards

Presuming that by 'GPS co-ordinates' you mean latitude and longitude, then Google thinks that this became available on the Go 600 after the most recent update and that you access it like this:

Re: GPS coordinates on the TomTOM 600

?13-12-2013 02:20 PM

When in search just tap on "current map" at the top right of the screen and it will open a menu giving various options. The last one is latitude longitude, just press to select this.

Perhaps worth checking that you have the latest firmware installed.

Mind you, I know nothing about Tomtoms.

Hi, Thanks, Just spoken to Tomtom and you have to change the co-ordinates before you can input Lat and Long.to do this you have to convert it with their something or other. BUT this needs the internet and we have found that in France I could not get onto Wi-Fi in the places we have stopped. ie.Aires du Camping Car

Regards

Have had availability of C0-ordinates for the last 2 or 3 years on my Tom-Toms, maybe longer, and came as original programme on them.

As far as wifi in France is concerned many campsites do have if, although may not be free, but I think you will find that it is generally free at McDonalds outlets!

We try to use the co-ords most times for finding sites etc as the Postcode system in France is not accurate enough, and covers very large areas.

Some Tom Tom sat-nav models lack the capability to input locations using GPS coordinates. (It's a common on-line complaint.) There are 'work arounds' but these are cumbersome.

Otherwise, if GPS coordinates can be input into a (reasonably modern) sat-nav, there will normally be a choice of several formats.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10373/~/how-do-i-use-latitude-and-longitude-coordinates%3F

In another Forum I remarked that the latest series of Sat-nags seem to have been dumbed down and now no longer have menu accessible coordinate entry.

Books such as 'All the aires' are, by their nature, out of date when they are published.

Personally I tend to download onto my Sat Nag a database of Aires from one of the French organisations. I-campingcar, Le monde du camping car, Federation Francais Camping and Caravanning (FFCC) or Camping car infos (all easily available via your search engine). Because these are regularly updated by fellow Campingcaristes they are always up to date and are usable on the latest series of dumb Sat nags even your TomTom!
If you are a motor caravaner then 'Archies' is probably the most complete listing of European camp sites available.
One big advantage is that all the above are Free resources.

LordThornber - 2014-06-08 8:47 AM

Roger, what a brilliant piece of information that is about Archies, I've been at this caper for longer than I care to remember and by far that's one of the best links ever.

Thank you very much, an example of this Forum at its best.

Martyn

But your Lordship should proceed with due caution. Your humble servant has also used Archies databases of all sorts of things, and has found that the co-ordinates are not always reliable.

No criticism of Archies (or Roger!), but when entering the co-ordinates of things like campsites, folk not infrequently do so from their pitch, which just may be nearer a road that does not lead to the site entrance, than the one that does. Sat-navs being mere machines, the results can be imagined!

Pays to check actual location of site (supermarket, etc.) entrance on Google Earth whenever possible and correct if necessary. Not the end of the world, but it saves driving up and down looking at the site or whatever, and finding no entrance where one was expected.

Archived