Dead satnavs - Snooper

hughman

I've got a Garmin Nuvi which has seemingly expired and Garmin have been their usual helpful selves (note sarcasm overdose here) in failing to sort it out.

On the van we have a Snooper S6400 (the one with all the campsite databases on it). We got it partly because of being able to connect the reversing camera to it, and it's been good for just over a year.

However, yesterday I was using it in the car (due to dead Garmin >:-) ) and it gave up the ghost 20 miles from my destination, claiming a flat battery. It was connected to a USB power supply which works ok.

Since then, I've been unable to get it to work. Have tried resetting etc, but all that happens now is the intro screen cycles off and on, but will go no further. I've been in touch with Snooper - no reply yet.

Any advice on how to sort it would be very welcome.............

Having only just joined and reading through all the posts but wondered if you sorted your problem with the Snooper. We purchased one a year ago and it was appalling, contacted the dealership and they would only send it for repair (this was within 7 days), eventually got it back and it worse than before it was sent. After several days of jumping up and down we had to get a refund through the credit card company. We had the same problem as you and also extremely loud interference so even if the screen had worked we wouldn't have been able to hear it. Have now bought ourselves one from Falcon Security, superb item and worked very well in France recently.

Guest JudgeMental
Not a clue re snopper....but Garmin support historically very good..you have to get past the lower tier of numpties first though! Just be insistent and maybe call a few times until you get someone resonable.

I have a snooper product and the database is constantly out of date, the device is erratic, its pretty poor. I have notified them many times, on some occasions they have updated it within a couple of weeks, but in general it is utter rubbish. I stopped paying my subscription this year and will never go back.

I also used NavFree on the iPhone and iPad for quite a long time, it was a very good product. For some reason this has now started playing up and it sends me on the most ridiculous routes, does some very strange things such as sends me on a 10 mile detour instead of saying 'please make a U Turn', of which it used to do? The list goes on for the strange quirks that have been introduced in the last few months.

I would have sworn by the product until recently??? I have seen many others saying the same things so i suspect a dodgy upgrade has happened?

I have also used TomTom and Garmin products and these were always very good. Each have their benefits / downsides, but in general pretty good.

Memory map is another i have used over the years and this was excellent but just became very expensive for all of the individual maps etc..

Hope you get it sorted..

Snooper now back in the land of the living :-D

Someone on Wild Camping forum suggested that they will only charge on 12v, and a USB charger is not enough. I took it back to the camper which has a direct 12v connection and plugged it back in, and all's well. The only drawback is that I can't use it in the car :-(

However, there's a chap on Wild Camping who fixes TomToms and has offered to have a go at the Garmin, so I've sent it off to him and am crossing my fingers.

If he can fix it, that will be great, but I remain extremely hacked off with the crapness of the Garmin update system which just seems to mean it goes wrong every time, and the even greater crapness of the so-called customer service dept.

Hey ho .......;

I have the S5000 and shortly after wanted to update the maps etc but run into problems.Phoned product support and he was very good, waited whilst I went through the process and still it would not work so he took over my pc and boy talk about lightning fingers, I watched my curser wizz al over the show and job done in no time.I now do it easy and again I phoned them about the CCC club not telling them about the 5c sites which they said still waiting for. So in my case no problems in contacting Snooper.

Hi, glad to see that your snooper has woken up, again, as you have discovered a usb charger is not suitable, and you have to use tbe 12 volt connector or mains power unit that came with it.

My concern is that the pois provided on the website for France passion are not up to date as we have found out on our journey down. If you are using them, crossckeck the current book, and hope that snooper can direct you..we have have been misdirected several times. SEVERAC LE CHATEAU is hiding somewhere snooper cant direct us to.we gave up.

Currently at Agde till 24th .

tonyg3nwl.

Archived