Ducato / Boxer check under yours for rusty cross members

dream machine

I was aware that the front crossmember on my Boxer Camper was getting rusty but had a shock when I had it in my local garage for a couple of jobs & they showed me just how bad it was.

This is the crossmember that supports the radiator & has the tow hitch attached - it was litterly falling apart :'( .

They priced a Peugeot part £120 with Vat but I found it on Ebay for £67 inc P&P.

As it's a bolt on part it was easily fitted.

Since then we checked the rear crossmember & found that also is rusting badly - as this has the tow hitch & bumper & rear step attached this now going to have be replaced. Unfortunately this is a welded section so will need to be cut out & new section welded in cost about £200 :'(

Talking to Body repair places apparently these are known hidden rust problems on all Ducato / Boxer's.

As these have the tow hitch attached I suggest you check yours very carefully as if you have to be towed if it's like mine it could be ripped apart under the stress - ouch !

Much of the main structure of these Sevel built vehicles was protected by a galvanising process but for some reason not the bolted on front cross member. Even worse the members black paint seems have been applied without any primer and falls of in a short time allowing the rust worms to munch away. Athough the towing eye is welded to the X member the approx 14 MM bolts that fasten the member to the main structure pass through the eye making it unlikely the eye would pull off.

At the back it may well be that drilling the holes to fit steps and tow bar may well have breached the zinc protection giving the rust bugs an entry point. On ordinary vans it could be that the rough and tumble of everyday loading had the same effect.

But as you say it pays to look at the underside as vehicles age.

There is something strange happening. Two posts. I never intended the Quote

Archived