Battery charging?

Tracker

I've looked on Google but was obviously not looking in the right place to explain why!

Having recharged a very flat battery with the Ctek charger I find the no load voltage after an hour of rest to be 13.21 and after 48 hours rested to be 13.15.

As I understand it a fully charged 12 volt battery should show between 12.7 and 12.8 volts - depending on which website you look at or who you talk to?

So why is mine showing such a high voltage and what does it mean - if anything - for the actual condition of the battery because the last time I had a battery with such a high voltage it turned out to be severely lacking in capacity - which I also never did find the reason for.

Hope this makes sense and that one of they there electrical experts can enlighten me please.

Interestingly, if i charge my new leisure batteries to the brim and then disconnect them from everything. Mine will hold above 13v for quite some time as well. My starter batteries don't, they will drop fairly quickly to the 12.8v region? I just put it down to having a good couple of leisure batteries? :-)

(I now await someone to point me out as being wrong :-))

I have had all of my batteries checked and they are all perfectly healthy. Capacity is good, CCA is good, etc..etc..

Guest Peter James

Voltage depends on the temperature, and the accuracy of the voltmeter - I have never found 2 that read exactly the same.

If possible use a hydrometer rather than a voltage check. That depends on the temperature too, but it is said to be more accurate.

Thanks Peter,

The voltmeter I know to be fairly accurate as it has recently been checked against a more professional unit and it compared surprisingly well and unfortunately you can't check the SG of a sealed battery without major surgery.

As far as I understand it, the relatively minor variations of temperature that we experience in a typical English 'summer' will not make that much difference?

Archived