Awnings

christy900

pepe63 - 2014-06-11 6:57 PM

Hi Martyn..

Can I ask what you opted for in the end?...

Indeed, a 4.5m Fiamma zip.

We're humming and arring whether to buy Windblockers or full fat Fiamma ends but at least we made the decision with the awning, no small thanks to you geezers.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2014-06-11 8:25 PM

pepe63 - 2014-06-11 6:57 PM

Hi Martyn..

Can I ask what you opted for in the end?...

Indeed, a 4.5m Fiamma zip.

We're humming and arring whether to buy Windblockers or full fat Fiamma ends but at least we made the decision with the awning, no small thanks to you geezers.

Martyn

The new ones with the roll down rain blockers do seem to be the way to go ;-) ..............What sold them to me was that 3 sides of the awning went into a Asda carrier bag......(Sorry I mean't to say Waitrose 8-))...............I doubt that'll happen with those that have the rain water membrane...........but even so I they'd weigh a fraction of our drive away :D............

pelmetman - 2014-06-11 8:59

The new ones with the roll down rain blockers do seem to be the way to go

Morning Dave, do you have a link to this particular item please?

We're still navigating the deep water of awning extras and appreciating we all want different uses I value your experience.

Fiammas website contains I think, nearly 700 different items 8-)

Martyn (just being fanned by the punkawalla)

LordThornber - 2014-06-12 9:00 AM

We're still navigating the deep water of awning extras and appreciating we all want different uses I value your experience.

We have the Fiammi Zip awing and have the Safari room. It can be useful , and does not take long to put up. You do need to be tall (or have a ladder) to reach the top of Zip, so I have put pull strings on the zip to help pull it up. We did not take it on our trip to Spain, as not needed in the sun, but will most likely take it when we return later in the year,TO France when it is more usefull (shorter days, and colder evenings). I would say if you camp in UK, then you would get more use than we do, as we go for the sun.

PJaY

Thanks for that Pauline, we camp all year, uk and France, a very mixed bag.

I'm certain 'one size wont fit all' but am conscious of avoiding too costly an error in purchase. Good tip with the string, thanks again.

I think 1 end Windblocker will suit us for our 'sunny' trip for a bit of privacy and the safari room for autumn, famous last words as ever :D

Martyn

After lots of research we recently purchased Lillypad Leisure Wind/Rain blockers at the Peterborough Show. We'd tried the Khyam 'Driveaway' Motordome on our previous MH but found it too heavy/too bulky and didn't take the 10 minutes to erect by one person (we well and truly fell for the sales patter!). We've only used the wind blockers once so far, but have found they suit us (not saying they will suit all) as they're incredibly light, you can store them in a large carrier bag and they take all of 5 mins to put up once you know what you're doing. Before purchasing them I cheekily went round the fields looking for those who had these wind blockers, I found quite a few in use, and asked them their thoughts. All of those spoken to said they were really good and recommended them. We then went ahead and parted with our well earned dosh - that's motor homing for you!!

christy900 - 2014-06-10 9:00 PM

New to coachbuilt after a caravan. Always found an awning indispensable and interested to know views on awnings for motorhomes. My wife regards sun canopy type as a waste of space and would prefer freestanding but not sure how well they work. Dorema looks strong and well made but is there a downside to this type? Are there better alternatives?

I looked at both but decided to go with a Fiamma wind out. Simple to use....5 mins to erect or pack away, and 'does the job'. Lot's of add on stuff you can buy for them (can turn the damn thing into a tent if you really want that), but i'm more than happy with just the awning.

As a few posters have mentioned, think carefully about the type of touring you want to do. A simple wind out has great advantages. Also worth mentioning that it takes up no space in the van either.

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2014-06-12 9:00 AM

http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/

;-)

We have a wind out which we sometimes use on its own or sometimes use a single wind blocker. Slides into frame with help of ones wife feeding it in. Five pegs and five bungy ropes in place of the supplied guy ropes. Job done in no time. Worth considering that although I would never leave it out in high wind conditions the wind blocker does make the awning more stable and helps to hold it down.

Just a general note take note of the instructions and wind the awning out only a short way. Then put the legs down and walk them out to avoid putting an undue strain on the joints and the side of the motorhome. Only today someone parked next to us and did just the. They had a second hand motor home and had not been warned about this. They were most grateful we took the trouble to tell them. Mind you they came round later with a whole host of other questions for. Not that we minded they were are a very nice couple and we spent a long time chatting to them.

We used to be tuggers and used a awning. To put it simply I was glad to see the back of the ruddy thing, especialy when I had to take it down wet!

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2014-06-12 10:47 PM

Just a general note take note of the instructions and wind the awning out only a short way. Then put the legs down and walk them out to avoid putting an undue strain on the joints and the side of the motorhome.

I've always done it this way to, even though we never had any instructions :D...........It seems common sense as a awning is only fixed by two or three brackets which place a lot of strain on small area of the motorhome sidewall............I do wonder when I see campers with their awnings out with no legs down 8-)................Although I seem to recall Fiamma advertising showing awnings used without legs :-|........

What are these "wind blockers" all about?

I've seen these which are for the sun; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351049261007?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Of course anything you 'add on' means slowing the whole process of packing the awning away so i stick with just the awning, winding it in each evening before going to bed. I can see the idea of the sun screen.....but they don't really do anything a decent pair of Polaroids won't do!

Returning to the OP's question...I suppose as well as the "style" of usage, whether or not an awning(as opposed to a wind-out "sunshade") will be beneficial, will also depend a lot on the size and layout of the van, along with how many folk travel with them...

On our last CB(7mtr, fixed bed, front dinette/lounge, fixed table),as there's only the two of us, we didn't "need" to put up an enclosed awning.. however, with the previous CB van(sub 6mtr, rear lounge/bed), once the bed was made, it dominated the interior of van and left nowhere else to sit/dine, so we found our lightweight "caravan porch" was invaluable for adding extra living space...

I suppose another element to consider, is the age/value of the van. Having a £500-600+ wind-out canopy retro fitted to newish,35-50+k van, that you intend to keep for a few years, may make sense. However if this is a cheaper first van, which past patterns would suggest, may get swapped in within a 12-18months(...usually due to finding that the layout is "unsuitable"?), then I'd probably hang fire on paying out on one ....and make do with a stand-alone "shelter"...

LordThornber - 2014-06-13 10:54 AM

http://www.windblockers.net

Bulletguy, this lot seem to be the ones getting the attention. As far as I can ascertain anyway 8-)

Martyn

Blimey.....that's another 'room'!

Fine and ok for long stay 'set ups' but not much use if you like to be 'on the move'. I think this is a point the OP needs to think very seriously about.

Not necessarily … takes no time to put up or take down. Yes, gives you lots of space under your awning and is far less faff than messing about with other alternatives! That is, of course, my opinion only and no doubt other will disagree ;-)

Archived