Timing belt/chain &cam belt/chain

Pampam

Hello you petrol heads could you tell me if the timing belt /chain is the same as the cam belt/chain? As my grand daughters cars timing chain has gone and the garage has quoted her £400 ,i think its a chleo ,she took it in cos the engine was shaking and they changed spark plugs,distributer cap £150 and engine still shaky she phoned back and they said oh that will be another £400 for timing belt .......i thought that was cheap (if timing and cam belt same thing )or am i wrong ?????? Shes gutted .....the car has cost her nothing up to now ,i cant make her see that cars dont just cost petrol they also cost for maintaining yuk!!!! Pp:)

Yes timing chain/belt is the same as cam chain/belt. As the car is running the belt or chain hasn't snapped but it may have jumped a couple of teeth. If that's what's happened then there are going to be bent valves and I don't see how any garage can repair that level of damage for just £400, a belt replacement alone would typically be in the £200-£300 region, taking the head off, replacing valves, head skim/pressure test, new gaskets and coolant are going to cost a lot more than £200. If it has a distributor its a pretty old car and unless there are particular reasons not to I'd suggest she'd probably do better putting the cost of repairing this one towards a replacement younger car.

D.

Guest peter

She got ripped off the first time by this garage. £150.00 for plugs and distributor cap? they must be joking.

Why didn't they suss out the valve timing was out when she first took it in?. It's not exactly difficult to spot. I trust they are going to reimburse her for the labour for the first job. Sounds like they are taking the proverbial.

I would do as Dave suggests and get rid. It's only going to cost increasing amounts in the future if it's that old it's got a distributor.

Archived