Visiting the New Forest (Places to stay)

kevandali

Hi All You lot never cease to amaze me with your fountain of knowledge. (Always good to start on a positive note :-D ) Just for a change, we have left things to the last moment, again *-) We are heading to Aylesbury [u][red]to drop off the kids[/u][b] (YES!)[/b][/red] and then head on south into the New Forest for a couple of kid free days. As we have never been down that way I would like to know if there are any campsites for motorhomes that you lot could recommend or is it actually possible to wild camp in the forest (which we would prefer) We are not setting off till Friday 15th Sept so that gives you lot plenty of time to pass on your much needed knowledge. Any help much appreciated as always. Kevandali

I don't think it is possible to camp wild in the New Forest. Perhaps the Hollands Wood site near Brockenhurst (off the road from Lyndhurst to Brockenhurst) is the nearest you will get to wild camping. Unmarked pitches in the trees and small clearings. Toilet block on site. There is an extensive network of bike trails in the forest so bring your bikes or hire in Brockenhurst. Many other Forestry Commission sites in the area.

Hello You cannot wild camp in the New Forest but there are sites where you need your own facilities which is as near as you will legally get. There is one near Lyndhurst on the road across the forest that goes to Hythe & Beaulieu open until 25th Sept. There is Denny wood with facilities on the other side of the same road. There is a much larger site at Ashurst on the main road not far from Totton. There are others here Check their closing dates which do vary. Very Nice chippy within easy reach of all the above three. http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/caravanandcamping/sites/index.asp Motorhomer

hi kevandali if you are members of the C & CC there's a CS at minstead/emery down that is almost like wild camping. the entrance drive should be taken VERY SLOWLY as it's a bit bumpy. if you wild camp in the new forest you get a pleasant warning sticker first night, an unpleasant warning sticker second night & woken up by the police on the 3rd night. wild camping is against the forestry commission bye-laws. mike

If you are going to Oxford do not try to enter via the A40 from London. Major road works with long delays in this direction at the moment due to rebuilding of roundabout where this road joins the Oxford Ring Road. Four mile tail back at midday today

• 2 months later...
Setthorns in the New Forest is a Forestfy Commision site soon to be run by the C C Club ,its an all year site with electric if you want it,its close to New Milton and also Lyndhurst.Why not join the C C Club there are lots of C Ls [ certified locations ] taking 5 vans in their network and some super ones in the New Forest ,Biased ? course I am I live on the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire and I am am in my 21st year as a C C Club member. See you there ???? *-) *-)

You are not supposed to Wild camp in the New Forest but old hands who have lived there for some time will know where you can (my wife!) We use the Roundhill camp site now having migrated there from Hollands Wood. The reason is that Hollands wood runs parallel to the main road and Roundhill does not. Its very quiet. Basic facilities but no hookups. Its also quite high which is good for our Ham Radio. Where? Come out of Hollands wood and turn left then immediately left again, over the cattle grid, under the bridge and follow this road until you find the entrance to Round Hill on your right. Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived