Huttoft in the news again!

sambukashot

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How dare they visit a seaside place in a motorhome and park for free? There should be more barriers and laws to target these freeloaders.

Worst of all they bring holiday makers into the seaside towns, cluttering up the shops and some of them even buy houses.

They even think they have human rights under European Law!

At least the gipsies have the decency to rip down the gates and park and the local recreation ground.

Thank God for France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Austria, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, and all the other Jonnie foreigners who welcome us. I know where I will be spending my money in September and it won't be in the UK.

H

Guest pelmetman

Councillor Davie is our local Councillor................next time I see him I'll ask him if they'll be deploying the same draconian law when the Gypsies arrive in Skeggy for their annual freebie :-|..............

I doubt it.................as it'll be against their human rights *-).......

hallii - 2014-06-13 4:53 PM

How dare they visit a seaside place in a motorhome and park for free?

Thank God for France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Austria, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, and all the other Jonnie foreigners who welcome us. I know where I will be spending my money in September and it won't be in the UK.

H

But they haven't just been parking for free, have they..they've been ignoring the signs and "over-nighting" and when this Huffoft car park has been discussed before (on here and on other forums)it appears that there have been some "encampments" that have set up and stayed for weeks at a time..

As for "Thank God for...", well I dare say if you tried "overnighting" in those countries in place that had signs that clearly forbid it, then I'd hazard a guess that you'd run the risk of getting a fine there also... ;-)

Surprise, surprise, some of us don't actually want to overnight in a car park, some of us use campsites. All some of us want to do is be able to park during the day in a pleasant spot overlooking the sea, be able to put the kettle on and enjoy the view. Height barriers stop us doing just that. I personally don't care that there are signs forbidding overnight stays, I just want to be able to park, just like any car.

hallii - 2014-06-13 4:53 PM

How dare they visit a seaside place in a motorhome and park for free? There should be more barriers and laws to target these freeloaders.

Worst of all they bring holiday makers into the seaside towns, cluttering up the shops and some of them even buy houses.

They even think they have human rights under European Law!

At least the gipsies have the decency to rip down the gates and park and the local recreation ground.

H

Too true, only been Motorhoming for 6 years before that spent more years than I care to remember as tuggers. Never realised before we brought the van how anti Motorhomes the UK is. Problem with this country is the camping fraternity are mainly tuggers and do not understand the needs of Motorhomes, we didn't when we were tuggers.

No way do I condone vans parking up along seafronts in towns for days on end but to able to stay the night in a remote spot not causing any nuisance to anyone is not too much to ask. From the photo in the link the car park looks fairly remote with no residential property nearby.

Some people go on about us being a small country no land to spare, cost of land etc. Belgium is a lot smaller than the UK yet they manage it, in recent years they have brought in laws making local communities provide overnight parking for Motorhomes.

excuse me but i dont like your tone. you are saying all motorhomers are the same.

we go to huttoft just for the day and camp overnight on a local site and pay.

we arent trouble makers, we dont want trouble. we take our rubbish home with us. we park where we can whether its free or not. we cant even get into parking area in that area of lincolnshire even with payment. we have to park illegally because of the rules from lincolnshire council.

may i remind you that my husband and myself are both tax payers and pay £225 tax on our motorhome.

this is our country as well as yours - you are more fortunate than myself because you live in such a beautiful place. it doesnt belong to you.

i have the right to go where i please - i dont have to answer to such people as yourself.

i agree with everything you say. not all motorhomers are the same.

i dont agree with what these minority have done but why should the council get away withwhat they have done.

the council is spoiling it for everyone because of a small minority.

alot of cars nowadays are tall, there is the icecream man, local tradesman etc all wanting to visit this area.

the council should come up with a system that enable motorhomes to park alongside cars on a daily basis.

ive recently been to norfolk and northumbria and they dont have this problem.

Guest peter

Well said Debbie. The stretch of coast where the parking is located is massive and as long as no rubbish is left, I see no reason not to park overnight. Especially if you want to do a bit of night sea fishing.

I had to laugh when I heard some plonker on the news saying "that there have been raves going on. I can just imagine a load of geriatric m/homers getting high on sanatogen and letting it rip. Talk about going over the top. I bet most of the complaints come from local overpriced campsite owners. There are loads of places along Ilnc's coast that hardly see any visitors, chgapel St leonards for one, so no nuisance caused. Before anyone else pokes their oar in in condemnation, just make sure that you know of what you speak and have actually been to the area.

I have, as I live here.

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2014-06-13 9:11 PM

Well said Debbie. The stretch of coast where the parking is located is massive and as long as no rubbish is left, I see no reason not to park overnight. Especially if you want to do a bit of night sea fishing.

I had to laugh when I heard some plonker on the news saying "that there have been raves going on. I can just imagine a load of geriatric m/homers getting high on sanatogen and letting it rip. Talk about going over the top. I bet most of the complaints come from local overpriced campsite owners. There are loads of places along Ilnc's coast that hardly see any visitors, chgapel St leonards for one, so no nuisance caused. Before anyone else pokes their oar in in condemnation, just make sure that you know of what you speak and have actually been to the area.

I have, as I live here.

I thought you had left? :D..............................But I'm closer to Huttoft than you nar nar nan nan nah (lol)............and the Councillor on the telly saying he'll seek to confiscate the campers of those non payers of fines.......is my Councillor 8-) ................and even worse I voted for him..........even worse he's a ,,,,,,,,spit Tory :$......................Well there was no UKIP option *-)....................

It''s all well and good folk saying that they "only want to park" and/or "..what's the problem, as long as folk don't leave litter?" etc...

The problem is SOME haven't been just "parking"..and SOME have been setting up camp and leaving litter...surely, it is them you should be blaming?..not the locals or "the council"...

Although, I know when this first seemed to come to light(on another forum), there was mention of litter and soiled toilets being one reason for stopping overnighting ..but surely day/evening visitors in cars can/will be just as responsible for that?...

I also recall someone on here (Longbarn?) saying that many weren't "motor-homers" but were a collect of *converted horseboxes ,fridge vans etc(so maybe the odd impromptu "rave" isn't that unlikely Peter? ;-)

Dave...as you're "loca(ish)" to the area, what are your thoughts on the litter and supposed "disruption"?(or are you not that close..?)

*Here we go-half way down page two:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Huttoft-Car-Park-Lincs-overlooking-the-sea-/32622/31/

Guest Had Enough
peter - 2014-06-13 9:11 PM

I bet most of the complaints come from local overpriced campsite owners

Oh dear, here we go again. Do you have any evidence for this? I can assure you that most campsite owners are too busy running their campsites to worry about a few wild campers, who they know will never use their sites anyway.

Most complaints of this nature come from residents or walkers, bird watchers and the like.

Your comment about overpriced campsites shows your stance on this perfectly! How do you know they are overpriced,? have you dome comparisons with other sites in the UK? Or perhaps it's just your inbuilt anti-business bias rearing its head again?

I've just left a lovely site on the Dordogne. It was €16 under the ACSI scheme. Terrific value I'm sure you all agree but it's only so low because the site is desperate to fill spaces in the low season.

The price for a family of four with one dog in the high season is fifty euros!

You will find this in many of the better French sites, the prices in summer go sky high as they've a very short season and they have to make real profits then, and in the UK the season is even shorter.

I fully understand why many British towns don't have aires. There are good reasons that have been explained again and again.

I do feel though that there could be more latitude on overnight parking, especially in places like this. However we just know what would happen. People would set up camp for a fortnight and if overnighting was legal the gypsy travelers would move in.

Our biggest problem is the small minority of tight-fisted motorhomers who would abuse the privilege and spoil it for everyone else.

Councils would have to employ enforcement officers to ensure that it's not being abused and then we're into more costs, which the ratepayers wouldn't like.

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-06-14 8:28 AM

Dave...as you're "loca(ish)" to the area, what are your thoughts on the litter and supposed "disruption"?(or are you not that close..?)

*Here we go-half way down page two:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Huttoft-Car-Park-Lincs-overlooking-the-sea-/32622/31/

Its 6 and a half miles away Pepe ;-)...............but its one of the few place's along the coast here where you can park and see the sea, as most of the parking is behind sand dunes...............not that we go anymore as the council has installed height barriers at all of the sites now *-)................and since I sold the car thinking we had a buyer we can no longer access any of the beach side parking :-|

Its not a problem though as we decided years ago the UK is just tooooo motorhome unfriendly, so spend our time and money across the ditch ;-)................Of the 5 months planned for this years motorhoming we'll spend just 2 weeks will be in the UK............and that'll be in Scotland............which will hopefully be a foreign country soon >:-)

This is what we are up against,

A few years back in Ipswich they opened a new Park & Ride car park. On the day of the official opening I went along to have a look etc. I met up with the various Council Officials who presided over the “opening” and put the question to them of offering a “Camper Stop” facility, which would entail providing a “Fresh Water Tap” and “Manhole for chemical waste”

The council told me it was a great idea as it would bring extra visitors to Ipswich and asked me to put it all in writing for the council to agree etc.

Correspondence was exchanged between me and the council and things were looking good until the Caravan Club stuck their nose in and scuppered the idea by claiming that there were “ample caravan sites in the area”

I carried on with the argument that we didn’t want a Camp Site to park up for the odd day or two nor pay extortionate fees to do so, but in the end I had to give in as I was banging my head against a brick wall. So I would blame the greedy Caravan Club and Camp Site owners

Must say always makes us chuckle when posters like good old had enough suggest none site people like ourselves are tightwads yet emphasise how much they save by using some voucher scheme or other so they do not have to pay the site owners the fee they would like!

But back to the substance here. First let us state again we do not support wild camping and are happy for councils to take measures to stop it provided they also establish proper Aires. There is, contrary to what hard enough says, no reason why these can not be done in UK but they would need to be charged and maybe run by private companies. That way we might get places to stay like we were the last couple of days in eastern France at Montreux-Chateaux. This is in fact run by a consortium of local authorities, has large individual hedged pitches, hook-ups, toilets and is next to the Rhien Rhone canal. Moored just past over the bridge is an excellent restaurant where we enjoyed a delightful meal in a nice ambience, after earlier on the day browsing around a really interesting art exhibition, by a local artist and coming away with a rather nice piece. So we may only have spent a few euros on the aire (It costs 5€/night plus 3€ for water, payable by credit card to obtain code for barrier) but also supported local enterprises. Sure site users do same, but it easier to do this when on an aire near to commercers than on a site well out from anywhere.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-14 4:21 PM

Must say always makes us chuckle when posters like good old had enough suggest none site people like ourselves are tightwads yet emphasise how much they save by using some voucher scheme or other so they do not have to pay the site owners the fee they would like!

You do make some strange arguments! I wanted to stay on a site and as an ASCI member the site owner is happy in low season to attract people who are in the ACSI scheme. It keeps his cash flow coming in and enables him to survive the quiet time.

If he is happy to participate in the scheme then so am I. Are you suggesting that I should say: "I say old chap, €16 is a very good price but it's a bit low, let me give you thirty euro instead".

Very odd! I'm happy to know that the site will make very good profits in high season.

Guest Had Enough

But back to the substance here. First let us state again we do not support wild camping and are happy for councils to take measures to stop it provided they also establish proper Aires. There is, contrary to what hard enough says, no reason why these can not be done in UK but they would need to be charged and maybe run by private companies.

Well, from this and other comments you've clearly never had to sit down and do a cost benefit analysis for a new business!

You seem to think that it's easy to just provide an aire and charge between £10 and £15 a night. You really haven't grasped the one main point of this which is; these people who park free on seaside streets will not pay between ten and fifteen pounds a night! Most of them wouldn't pay won't pay a fiver a night!

If parking were provided at these sort of prices they'd just find another street a bit further away where they could park for nothing.

But you really have no idea of the business side of this in Britain. OK then, so some private company decides to provide an aire in a British sea side town. First they have to acquire a couple of acres of land. Then they have to put in mains water, mains sewerage and an electricity supply.

What do think the investment is so far? Come on, give us a clue!

You glibly state that it could run itself and they'd just need a credit card system Well yes, so that's a telephone line for credit card authorisation, and an automatic barrier system which will need maintenance, and a man on call when the barrier jams or the credit card machine packs in, and some of us know all about that!

And for eight months of the year it will be empty and in the high season it will probably be half empty as well because most of the types we're talking about just will not pay!

You seem totally unaware of the numbers involved. The people who use aires are a tiny minority. I've just been to a site in Limeuil on the Dordogne. There's a lovely aire there. Most nights it was empty but within a mile or two there are two sites and on mine alone there were at least forty motorhomes.

This is the case in every French hotspot. For any aire there'll be several sites with dozens of motorhomers. Whether you like it or not most of us prefer sites if we're staying a few days.

I use aires a lot, but only for overnighting when travelling, but I see no point in paying €10 Euro a night plus another €2 for water when for a little more I can have a spacious pitch and hot showers and EHU.

You really ought to stop and think. Britain is not France, it does not attract thousands of motorhomers and that's nothing to do with aires, it's the weather!

No businessman in his right mind would invest in an aire charging a tenner a night. It's a quick way to lose a fortune!

And ask a council what they'd rather have on an expensive piece of land in say Whitby, a car park for fifty cars that will attract a three or four quid parking charge three times a day for each parking place and bring in families with children who'll visit attractions and restaurants, or 25 motorhomes paying a tenner for twenty four hours, full of people who'll cook their own meals and spend very little, and that's what most of them do!

You can bang on about British aires until the cows come home but they won't happen, they are not cost effective, would operate at low capacity for a short season, unless they were very cheap, and then they'd lose even more.

Once more, it's all about land prices which is why there are no aires in Paris or St. Tropez or many other expensive French towns and cities. Aires are in places where there's an abundance of cheap land and where that land can't produce any other form of income.

Guest Had Enough
Barney123 - 2014-06-14 3:32 PM

This is what we are up against,

A few years back in Ipswich they opened a new Park & Ride car park. On the day of the official opening I went along to have a look etc. I met up with the various Council Officials who presided over the “opening” and put the question to them of offering a “Camper Stop” facility, which would entail providing a “Fresh Water Tap” and “Manhole for chemical waste”

The council told me it was a great idea as it would bring extra visitors to Ipswich and asked me to put it all in writing for the council to agree etc.

Correspondence was exchanged between me and the council and things were looking good until the Caravan Club stuck their nose in and scuppered the idea by claiming that there were “ample caravan sites in the area”

I carried on with the argument that we didn’t want a Camp Site to park up for the odd day or two nor pay extortionate fees to do so, but in the end I had to give in as I was banging my head against a brick wall. So I would blame the greedy Caravan Club and Camp Site owners

First of all let's see some evidence of this. And do you really expect us to believe that the council was prepared to invest in an aire but the Caravan Club had its say and the council immediately rolled over and changed its mind? Yea, of course they did! *-)

If you really want to criticise anyone, criticise the council who clearly used this as an excuse. Having done their sums on the cost of providing and maintaining an aire they were probably looking for any excuse to knock it on the head!

Have you ever considered this extremely simple counter-argument against this silly myth of greedy campsite owners somehow managing to influence councils to bend to their will?

It's this - for every campsite owner who may lose out if an aire was built ( and I don't think that would happen anyway) there are five businessmen who would benefit from an aire, such as shop owners, cafe owners, publicans, gift shops etc. etc.

But of course they have no influence, it's only campsite owners who can twist councils around their little finger! Very odd that isn't it!

Had Enough - 2014-06-14 4:31 PM

You do make some strange arguments! I wanted to stay on a site and as an ASCI member the site owner is happy in low season to attract people who are in the ACSI scheme. It keeps his cash flow coming in and enables him to survive the quiet time.

If he is happy to participate in the scheme then so am I. Are you suggesting that I should say: "I say old chap, €16 is a very good price but it's a bit low, let me give you thirty euro instead"

Very odd! I'm happy to know that the site will make very good profits in high season.

No, you miss the tongue in cheek point we were making here that whilst you are happy to suggest that people using Aires are tightwads you are very happy to tell us how much you save by using a discount scheme. You do not appear to see the contradiction in your position.

Had Enough - 2014-06-14 5:00 PM

But back to the substance here. First let us state again we do not support wild camping and are happy for councils to take measures to stop it provided they also establish proper Aires. There is, contrary to what hard enough says, no reason why these can not be done in UK but they would need to be charged and maybe run by private companies.

Well, from this and other comments you've clearly never had to sit down and do a cost benefit analysis for a new business!

You seem to think that it's easy to just provide an aire and charge between £10 and £15 a night. You really haven't grasped the one main point of this which is; these people who park free on seaside streets will not pay between ten and fifteen pounds a night! Most of them wouldn't pay won't pay a fiver a night!

If parking were provided at these sort of prices they'd just find another street a bit further away where they could park for nothing.

But you really have no idea of the business side of this in Britain. OK then, so some private company decides to provide an aire in a British sea side town. First they have to acquire a couple of acres of land. Then they have to put in mains water, mains sewerage and an electricity supply.

What do think the investment is so far? Come on, give us a clue!

You glibly state that it could run itself and they'd just need a credit card system Well yes, so that's a telephone line for credit card authorisation, and an automatic barrier system which will need maintenance, and a man on call when the barrier jams or the credit card machine packs in, and some of us know all about that!

And for eight months of the year it will be empty and in the high season it will probably be half empty as well because most of the types we're talking about just will not pay!

You seem totally unaware of the numbers involved. The people who use aires are a tiny minority. I've just been to a site in Limeuil on the Dordogne. There's a lovely aire there. Most nights it was empty but within a mile or two there are two sites and on mine alone there were at least forty motorhomes.

This is the case in every French hotspot. For any aire there'll be several sites with dozens of motorhomers. Whether you like it or not most of us prefer sites if we're staying a few days.

I use aires a lot, but only for overnighting when travelling, but I see no point in paying €10 Euro a night plus another €2 for water when for a little more I can have a spacious pitch and hot showers and EHU.

You really ought to stop and think. Britain is not France, it does not attract thousands of motorhomers and that's nothing to do with aires, it's the weather!

No businessman in his right mind would invest in an aire charging a tenner a night. It's a quick way to lose a fortune!

And ask a council what they'd rather have on an expensive piece of land in say Whitby, a car park for fifty cars that will attract a three or four quid parking charge three times a day for each parking place and bring in families with children who'll visit attractions and restaurants, or 25 motorhomes paying a tenner for twenty four hours, full of people who'll cook their own meals and spend very little, and that's what most of them do!

You can bang on about British aires until the cows come home but they won't happen, they are not cost effective, would operate at low capacity for a short season, unless they were very cheap, and then they'd lose even more.

Once more, it's all about land prices which is why there are no aires in Paris or St. Tropez or many other expensive French towns and cities. Aires are in places where there's an abundance of cheap land and where that land can't produce any other form of income.

Yes take your point that to make it economic to establish then the local authority would have to contribute to set up costs, doing this on the basis it would help local business, which we, despite your reservations,think it would. Think you overestimate running costs but yes you are correct 're numbers of vans in UK compared to France and therefore on this basis a cost benefit analysis would suggest that Aires in Britain may well be a none starter. So on this point you are right and we appear to be wrong ( not often people say this on here!).

One point we can not agree with you on however is that more vans use camp sites in France than use Aires. This is simply not born out by the evidence of our own eyes, or reports in the French camping car press and web sites. For example over the last holiday week end i-camping car web site reports that over 300 camping cars were on one lake side aire alone, despite supposed to only to take 60!(OK we would avoid that one) Whilst aire we were on in Colmar with charge of 11€ night had 30 vans whilst some fellow Brit vanners we bumped in to told us that on site where they were there was only one other motorhome yet charge was little more. But you are site people and enjoy them we enjoy Aires but main thing is we both seem to enjoy la belle France. May be one day we will meet up and enjoy a glass, or two,of the local vin rouge.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-14 7:15 PM

No, you miss the tongue in cheek point we were making here that whilst you are happy to suggest that people using Aires are tightwads you are very happy to tell us how much you save by using a discount scheme. You do not appear to see the contradiction in your position.

But you are wrong! Please show me one post of mine where I've said that all people who use aires are tightwads. I use aires all the time when travelling and if there's no other choice.

You're clearly not a tightwad because you're happy to use aires that seem quite expensive for what they are.

Tightwads are those who will only use free aires, will struggle through the most congested of cities rather that spend four euros to bypass them on a toll motorway and will never, under any circumstances, use a site even if it means staying on a supermarket car park.

But I still fail to see a contradiction. Site owners offer special prices to attract customers in the low season. If they're happy to sell a pitch for €16 why does taking them up on that offer make you a tightwad as well? It makes no sense. I wasn't crowing because I'd saved money on his high-summer price, we weren't there in high summer!

I don't choose a site on price. I choose it on location. If it's in the ACSI scheme that's a bonus but if it's not they're not that much more expensive in May and June, which is when we go to Europe

If a retailer reduces a price in the sale, are you a tightwad for buying that product at sale price? Of course you're not. There's a huge difference between people who ares sensible and like value for money and those who are so mean that they'll never spend a penny on a chargeable aire or a site.

But to get back to your favourite topic, can you tell me why there are no aires in Paris, or Monaco or St. Tropez or any of the other of the classy places in France. I've given you plenty of clues! ;-)

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-14 7:47 PM

One point we can not agree with you on however is that more vans use camp sites in France than use Aires. This is simply not born out by the evidence of our own eyes, or reports in the French camping car press and web sites.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. In most places for every aire there are three or four sites. In St. Jean de Luz there's one aire. There are several sites within a couple of miles all of which had a large number of motorhomes on them.

And if you don't uses sites how can you have the evidence of your own eyes? In the last three weeks I've been on sites on Iles Noirmoutier and de Re, all of which had dozens of motorhomes from the UK, Germany and Holland as well as the French of course.

I'm at Castelnaud in the Dordogne. There are six sites for every aire and they all have motorhomes on them. Whether you like it not not the majority of motorhomers like their comforts!

And again, I really cannot comprehend how anyone could pay €10 for an aire and then another couple of Euro for water.

This site at Castelnaud is an absolute dream. In a valley just off the Dordogne with a beautiful little river behind me. We have a massive pitch, hot showers in a superb modern block, a lovely swimming pool and a little shop. It's not busy, mainly older caravanners and motorhomers who can go off-season.

My space is guaranteed. No one will come and park four feet from me and I can top up with water any time in any quantity I like. It's €16 and for that we have EHU so save a load of gas as well.

As I've said many times, there are aires that I love but mainly because of the location. There's a superb one by the river at St. Antonin Noble Val and it's usually quiet. But I don't use it because it's free. It because of where it is.

There's one over the river from here at La Roque Gageac. It's right on the river in a lovely village but I wouldn't use it if you paid me. It's a car park with a motorhome four feet on either side. No thank you!

Had Enough - 2014-06-14 8:08 PM

robertandjean - 2014-06-14 7:47 PM

One point we can not agree with you on however is that more vans use camp sites in France than use Aires. This is simply not born out by the evidence of our own eyes, or reports in the French camping car press and web sites.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. In most places for every aire there are three or four sites. In St. Jean de Luz there's one aire. There are several sites within a couple of miles all of which had a large number of motorhomes on them.

And if you don't uses sites how can you have the evidence of your own eyes? In the last three weeks I've been on sites on Iles Noirmoutier and de Re, all of which had dozens of motorhomes from the UK, Germany and Holland as well as the French of course.

I'm at Castelnaud in the Dordogne. There are six sites for every aire and they all have motorhomes on them. Whether you like it not not the majority of motorhomers like their comforts!

And again, I really cannot comprehend how anyone could pay €10 for an aire and then another couple of Euro for water.

This site at Castelnaud is an absolute dream. In a valley just off the Dordogne with a beautiful little river behind me. We have a massive pitch, hot showers in a superb modern block, a lovely swimming pool and a little shop. It's not busy, mainly older caravanners and motorhomers who can go off-season.

My space is guaranteed. No one will come and park four feet from me and I can top up with water any time in any quantity I like. It's €16 and for that we have EHU so save a load of gas as well.

As I've said many times, there are aires that I love but mainly because of the location. There's a superb one by the river at St. Antonin Noble Val and it's usually quiet. But I don't use it because it's free. It because of where it is.

There's one over the river from here at La Roque Gageac. It's right on the river in a lovely village but I wouldn't use it if you paid me. It's a car park with a motorhome four feet on either side. No thank you!

In the past we have stayed on aire at la Roque, and you are right it is a car park style aire and vans do park close, but that does not worry us although we know many do not like it. But we used it,and might again, because you can walk straight into the village enjoy a nice meal , with wine, then walk back to van. This is often not possible on sites; We have no interest in using site showers, having picked up infection in same in past, and many Aires we now use have hook ups and now WiFi as well, as where we are at present. Of course there are many vans on sites but still contend that throughout France as a whole number of aire nights per year will exceed site nights per year (we drive past many sites with maybe 2 motorhomes, one tent and a lot of static tourers on)

St John de Luz aire is in our opinion the worst in France and would not recommend it at all. We use the aire at Biarritz, very busy and tight,but easy access to town and Henday Plate, now much better set out and good transport links to Henday and San Sebastian. Yes there are many sites in area, and we have stayed on some but they are not as well positioned for what we enjoy, visiting towns, cities restaurants etc.

Could go on but we clearly have different views as to where is best to stay but enough common ground, and sense, to respect each others point of view and say vive la differance

I can confirm that litter was a problem, the council didn't COLLECT it and the bins were so old even when rubbish was put inside the door could never be closed. Wind and birds scattered it. Easter two years ago was an example. Now they have new bins.

Yes there was people staying for long periods. And they were unsightly. One even offered Drinks!

So why not put up Parking Meters? The council are crying out for funds.

By Laws like every where else could stop people staying more than 48 hours.

I wonder how many car people come to Huttoft from the Skegness area for a freebee rather than park locally and would have voted for Councillor Davey.?

We pay more Tax for our M/H than a small car so why can we not find someway for us all to enjoy this beautiful place.

Archived