Motorhome insurance

nalastrebor

A very good afternoon to you all.

Apologies if this is an old question but have just joined the forum.

My motorhome renewal is just a week or so away and I would like cover that would provide me with a replacement motorhome (rather than a car) in the event of a breakdown or accident.

Is this possible?

Has anyone heard of such a cover, my current Caravanguard cover offers a car but only very short term.

I'm more than happy to pay for the type of cover that would allow me to continue with a motorhoming holiday in the event of being unable to continue in my own vehicle.

Am I asking too much here?

Thanks very much.

Alan (?) (?)

Interesting question Alan

I would have thought it highly unlikely, that you would get this sort of cover, as motorhomes vary so much. Cover will usually get you and van home, so I guess the holiday would not be possible.

We were with Caravan Guard and had a bad accident in Scotland, they did offer a car , but we came back in the breakdown truck, staying over night in the van, as the caravan bit was ok, just not drivable.

That was a 2 day journey for us.

Lets hear what others think

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
This situation has happened to us once in over 20 years of motor homing...the person who hit us was responsible, his insurance company paid for the hire of a camper so we could go on our planned holiday that summer (a month in Spain). Its a tricky question as cant imagine many insurers covering this eventuality. what are the odds of it happening anyway, worrying over nothing? :-D

Not aware of anyone who does that, we once broke down in France with a caravan, breakdown insurance wouldn't supply a car with a towbar had to leave the car & caravan to come back on a transporter a couple of weeks later. Lucky for us we were on our way home at the time.

JudgeMental - 2014-06-14 3:12 PM

This situation has happened to us once in over 20 years of motor homing...the person who hit us was responsible, his insurance company paid for the hire of a camper so we could go on our planned holiday that summer (a month in Spain). Its a tricky question as cant imagine many insurers covering this eventuality. what are the odds of it happening anyway, worrying over nothing? :-D

Did the accident happen while you were on your holiday Eddie? Or was your van damaged before you left UK? As you say once in 20 years, not really worth worrying about, as long as passengers are OK, S## the holiday, I think I would want to get home anyway

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2014-06-14 6:44 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-06-14 3:12 PM

Did the accident happen while you were on your holiday Eddie? Or was your van damaged before you left UK? As you say once in 20 years, not really worth worrying about, as long as passengers are OK, S## the holiday, I think I would want to get home anyway

PJay

Happened well before holiday...back in the day when we had demountable campers, some young idiot just drove out of a side road straight into the side of our 4x4 pick up...

nalastrebor - 2014-06-14 12:16 PM

A very good afternoon to you all.

Apologies if this is an old question but have just joined the forum.

My motorhome renewal is just a week or so away and I would like cover that would provide me with a replacement motorhome (rather than a car) in the event of a breakdown or accident.

Is this possible?

Has anyone heard of such a cover, my current Caravanguard cover offers a car but only very short term.

I'm more than happy to pay for the type of cover that would allow me to continue with a motorhoming holiday in the event of being unable to continue in my own vehicle.

Am I asking too much here?

Thanks very much.

Alan (?) (?)

In answer to your question

It does not look as if you would get a replacement van, especially if you where abroad. I don't think you would even get a car, if abroad due to insurance and returning it to country of origin.Most policies will get you home, they don't say how.

Why worry about it, it may never happen !!

PJay

PJay - 2014-06-15 9:52 AM

In answer to your question

It does not look as if you would get a replacement van, especially if you where abroad. I don't think you would even get a car, if abroad due to insurance and returning it to country of origin.Most policies will get you home, they don't say how.

Why worry about it, it may never happen !!

PJay

Most companies polices say they will give you a hire car usually something like "We will provide a hire vehicle similar to your own one if available" and of course there is only available the cheapest hire car they can get hold of.

At the time we broke down we had a 7 seat people carrier they gave us a Citron C3 which we had to change at Calais for a RHD Focus.

Thanks very much for all your replies ... looks 100% as though a motorhome is never going to be on offer ... I guess because of the cost to the Insurance company.

Will have to be content with whatever the largest hire car would be - and just 'get on with it' ...

Cheers all

Happy motorhoming.

Incidentally, in answer to a different post - we wave to other motorhomers whenever safe to do so - but never whilst on a motorway ... sorry. ;-) ;-)

Its not just a question of the cost to the insurance company. Although it is possible to hire motorcaravans. I would guess most are pre booked or out on hire during the peak periods not standing around and ready to go within a practical distance of where they might be needed.

I would have thouht it would be useful to be offered a rental van (i.e. a cargo-carrier) rather than a hire car if your MH is rendered unusable, because of the volume of stuff you will have on board. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when your MH is to be transported home for you from abroad they require you to empty it when you switch to the hire vehicle, otherwise the contents are at your risk. Your MH is also likely to take a couple of weeks or so to make the journey home.

Not that it's happened to me so far touch wood.

Archived