Autotrail 2.3 automatic

dakota

Im thinking about buying a new autotrail tracker with 2.3 fiat ducato 130 bhp engine and automatic gearbox , ive never had an auto gearbox on any of my vans , what are they like to drive etc ?? anyone got one ?

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/150hp-Fiat-Comfortmatic/33156/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/First-impresions-of-driving-a-fiat-automatic/34966/

Have a read at these posts.

The Comfort-matic is not strictly an automatic gearbox. In summary, I find it ok on my 2.3 3.5 ton motorhome but it gets confused when going up and down dale in the Pennines. I have to switch to manual. Otherwise its slow off the mark but generally relaxing to drive.

Go on the Fiat Camper site and find the download for the manual.

Mine is with the 150 engine only driven it for a 1000 miles so far very impressed OK it does do a few wobbles from time to time but overall it's great wouldn't want a manual one now. The only real dislike I have is the tiny brake peddle (same size as a manual) makes left foot braking awkward especially with LHD as it's set towards the right but I'm getting used to it.

Only thing I would be concerned about is you choice of the 130 engine for a few quid more I would play safe and get the 150.

Automatic gearboxes (so called) have a variety of labels. The aim being to simplify driving for the operator by removing their need for a physical adjustment.

I used to drive around London which caused knee, shoulder and elbow problems plus taxing the brain. The auto gearbox removed all that, it simplified driving 100%.

I would never revert to waggling a stick about and trying to guess when a gear change was needed.

Find someone with an auto and go as a passenger through a busy town. You should be convinced by the ease of travel.

PS

Lenny describes left foot braking. Be assured this is only used by those who are very versatile drivers and is not the normal method of driving. The only time I would use both feet would be when juggling into a small space where changing pedals is a delay.

I have recently bought a Vantage Neo with the 150 Comfortmatic and have only done a few hundred miles so far, although I have owned automatic Volvo V70s for about 10 years so I am already a fan of autos. The Volvo Geartronic 6 speed auto is great and most of the time you leave it in auto and let it do it's thing - great on long motorway journeys, particularly if you get stuck in a traffic jam, and in town. Sometimes it is better to move into sequential manual mode and take more control of when to change gear, such as driving on hilly and winding country roads, when you can keep the car in a lower gear for engine braking instead of the auto continually changing up just at the point when you would prefer a lower gear, such as a downhill section or when a bit more power into and out of a bend would help keep the car more stable. I know this post is about the Fiat Comfortmatic but I mention this because I already understand that autos have some limitations and was keen to find out how the Comfortmatic would compare as it is a robotised manual gearbox and not a torque convertor auto as the Volvo is.

Overall, I would say that the Comfortmatic acts mainly as the Volvo Geartronic does and therefore as I expected. It changes gear for you and takes some of the hassle out of driving. Neither the Volvo or the Vantage are in any way a performance vehicle so an auto gearbox makes sense to me. Everything I said about the Volvo Geartronic applies to the Fiat auto, including my preference for using the manual mode when the road gets more winding and hilly. A large van that weighs 3 1/2 tonnes is never going to be quick and it will inevitably run out of puff on an incline much sooner than a powerful car. I have already found that the Comfortmatic will sometimes change into a lower gear later than I would and consequently slow down too much before the gear change. This is easily solved by giving the gear stick a nudge into a lower gear before it slows down too much or going into manual mode if the uphill will be followed by a downhill say. Some may say that the gearbox is not quick witted enough but I just accept it for what it is and work with it rather than fight it and complain.

I have tried the Up facility but so far it is difficult to discern much difference really but perhaps the conditions were not ideal. A couple of times I did think that it was changing down quicker going downhill with Up switched on, which is what it is supposed to do.

Other people have mentioned that they feel that the Comfortmatic is slow to change from first to second leaving you in a kind of no mans land of gears just when you need to get a move on, at a large roundabout for instance. I have noted this as well but again I think you just need to drive round it. I have found that it is better not too accelerate too hard as the gearbox simply stays in first too long. I think it is better to back off slightly so that the gearbox thinks you are driving more gently then it changes into second quicker then you can go for it. My Volvo is the same to some extent, although in this case it is too much torque overwhelming the grip of the tyres that is the problem - lots of power but not enough forward motion. Much better to back off slightly, let it change into second then go for maximum power then there is less chance of losing traction. I would say that, generally, the gear changes are quite measured but then again this is a heavy vehicle and I do not want to go fast in any case. I find the speed and quality of gear change to be generally very smooth and relaxing and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I would accept that it may get caught out sometimes but the positives far outweigh any minor operational niggles. In fact I don't really see them as niggles at all, just quirks.

I have also heard of people having issues with slow speed manoeuvres but I do not find this to be an issue at all so far and backing into my drive and driving up ramps has posed no problems at all.

One slight difficulty is stopping in traffic on any kind of incline that requires the brake to be applied and this is the one area where the Comfortmatic differs from my Volvo. The Volvo will hold the car on an incline without the brake but the Comfortmatic will not and the handbrake must be applied as it is not recommended to hold the vehicle on an incline using revs to slip the clutch - obvious really. As you are no doubt aware the handbrake on a Fiat Ducato is a real pain being so low down so I get over this by simply using my left foot to apply the brake to bring the van to a halt then use the footbrake as I would the handbrake, balancing left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator to move off. This is easy to do but stopping smoothly using left foot braking does require care as the left side is not used to doing this and is not so smooth, but practice makes perfect.

I have experienced some problems when starting up and moving off because the gearbox appears to get confused and will not go into first and I have to go into neutral then across into first auto. I am pretty sure that this is something that I am doing wrong and is related to me not always switching off whilst in first and putting it into neutral instead, which I think is wrong - must read the manual again but it is not so clear.

Overall, I think that going for the Comfortmatic was a good move as it saves me the hassle of changing gear and makes the whole experience much more relaxing. It all works fine as far as I am concerned and any issues are minor and easy to accept and work with - no hassle whatsoever, but then again, I am already sold on having autos so I am easy to convince.

If you think you would like an auto gearbox, for ease of use, I would say go for it but I would seriously consider the 150 engine if you can as I think the extra little bit of power might suit the Comfortmatic better but this is opinion only.

Thank you kindly everyone for your replies , i will look at this van have a lengthy test run in it and put the gearbox through its paces and if i do purchase it i can see that ive quite a learning curve facing me anyway , and i do love a challenge .

A point to consider, don't have too many pre-conceived thoughts on what the gearbox 'should do'.

Adjust to to how the designers built it, I've found many with a similar system are different, you will find a different style of driving is required. The larger engine would be better.

As I suggested to Brian and his Comformatic some months ago when he said it does't do this and that.

"Just drive the darned thing"

Will

As to whether the 130 or 150 is better, you can go on the Fiat Camper website to help you choose.

www.fiatcamper.com/product/your_ideal_engine

I keep getting the same answer for me, the 130. I'm happy with this engine.

I'm never convinced test drives of new vehicles are a good guide. All they show is that over a short distance you either like or dislike the vehicle. They are not an accurate guide to future ownership. My first 200 miles with the Comfort-matic were dreadful. Thousands of miles latter and I'm getting to like it. Different for second hand vans where you are road testing for obvious signs of abuse.

A couple of comments have been made on stopping & starting on hills, I have never noticed any problems and found the hill holder works well (a lot better than the one on my car).

As for slow speed manoeuvring it was a bit iffy until the van had done about 500 miles now it's fine, I still prefer the creep of a conventional auto.

lennyhb - 2014-06-15 10:36 AM

Mine is with the 150 engine only driven it for a 1000 miles so far very impressed OK it does do a few wobbles from time to time but overall it's great wouldn't want a manual one now. The only real dislike I have is the tiny brake peddle (same size as a manual) makes left foot braking awkward especially with LHD as it's set towards the right but I'm getting used to it.

Only thing I would be concerned about is you choice of the 130 engine for a few quid more I would play safe and get the 150.

Lenny,

Left foot braking?

What on earth for?

Lenny, hill hold works well for me.

The handbrake is a stretch at times and occasionally when releasing it, I don't press the handle to the floor quick enough to stop the bleeping bleeps. The good point about a handbrake is that I find that no sooner have I put on the brake, the traffic lights change to green.

I find the auto mode ideal for getting in and out of my drive which is a slight incline in and a tight turn in or out.

euroserv - 2014-06-16 1:31 PM

Lenny,

Left foot braking?

What on earth for?

Old habit from driving autos with big brake peddles, also it is very useful to dab the peddle with the left foot to dis the cruise.

Must admit given it up on the van but I still think the brake peddle far to small. First drive in the van on the way back from Dover gave myself a nasty scare had cruise on feet well out of the way went to brake completely missed the peddle it seems a long way offset in a LHD van.

You often find that those who decry the auto box on a fiat have either never owned one or even driven one. Take it from me who has driven all over Europe in mine that the comfortmatic box works really well and is infinitely superior to a manual. A manual box is so yesterday.

Archived