dometic fridge on 12 volts

boxerbob62

iseem to have a problem with the fridge when it is on the leisure battery when travelling,after a short time (about 2/3 hours the volts drop showing a red light on the pms, it works fine on 240 volts and the gas --i have the leisure battery charging through the main van battery via a split charging relay also there is a solar panel connected to the leisure battery . i am hoping to get this sorted before i go away this sat. i have switched over to use the main battery when this happens and that seems to work ok.Hope someone can help,many thanks ;-) (ps. the leisure battery is charging as normal) ;-)

It would help if we knew what model fridge, van, and control panel.

Normally the fridge should be running off the engine battery when driving not the leisure battery being either controlled by another split charge /fridge relay or the charger unit as in the case of Elektroblocks.

I have known the fridge to run from the leisure battery when a combined relay is used for split charging & running the fridge, if the fuse supplying the power to the relay contacts is blown with the relay turned on (engine running) the contacts complete the circuit allowing the fridge to draw it's power from the leisure battery.

I'm trying to understand your problem but am a little confused by your comments.

Please can you explain whether you are trying to run the fridge off your leisure battery while driving OR parked up?

If it is when parked up then 3 way fridges where not designed to be run solely off a 12 volt battery, only ever with the engine running.

If you are talking about it not working when driving and connected to the leisure battery then it sounds as though the feed to your leisure battery is insufficient to charge the battery and run the fridge at the same time.

Please could we have a little more info re MH and fridge as well please as previously requested.

Keith.

More help required!

My dometic aes fridge freezer has just developed a similar problem in that it has stopped working on 12v

when the engine is running, after a buzzing/arcing sound from behind the fridge control panel.

At the same time my vehicle battery indicator gauge has also stopped working other than when the van is connected to 240v mains.

It has been suggested that I may have developed a 'dry joint'. I have checked all fuses and relays as far as possible and they appear to be ok. It is likely that my alternator is not supplyling sufficient voltage to operate the fridge control panel.

The van is a 2009 Hymer/Eriba with an EBL 99 electroblock. The indicator panel is an IT 95.

Any suggestions to help rectify this fault would be greatly appreciated.

Rod, there are no split charge relay in a Hymer all the battery charging and fridge electrics are controlled via the Elektroblock.

It sounds like you have a fault on the fridge electrics that is dragging down the Elektroblock, I would start by disconnecting all the 12 volt feeds to the fridge (insulate the bare wires you have disconnected) then reset the Elektroblock and hopefully the panel will come back up.

To reset the Elektroblock turn off the battery isolator switch (on front of Elektroblock) turn back on, then turn the panel on & off quickly, now turn the panel back on and pray, hopefully the panel will come up OK then you just need to sort the fridge.

Archived