milenco levellers

wardy

Can anybody tell me where i can get a pair of good size chocks to use with my quattro levellers as they

do not hold my MH has stated. On top level the handbrake needs to be full on to stop roll back and after

a few nights on site this must be putting a strain on the handbrake cable.I have seen some in towsure

mag page 37 but are these big and strong enough to take the weight of a large MH. Got a triptronic box so cannot just put in gear and apply handbrake gently.

Instead of trying to find some that will work with the ramps why not just use wheel chocks under the wheels not on the ramps.

Don't understand the problem of not being able to leave it in gear I have the comfortmatic box and the correct procedure is make sure it is in gear before stopping the engine, if you don't a buzzer screams at you.

I agree with Lenny. I run the van onto the Milenco ramps, leave it in first gear, apply the handbrake then place two of the cheap black plastic chocks that come with some levellers behind the rear wheels then release the handbrake, job done.

Been doing this now for ages and hasn't failed me yet.

If I recall correctly, there were heated discussions on this and other m/home forums about the adverting by Milenco which stated that chocks were not required when using their ramps.

HOWEVER in the real world, most (dare I say it?) sensible owners used chocks.

Rgds

Guest pelmetman
wardy - 2014-06-16 5:06 PM

Can anybody tell me where i can get a pair of good size chocks to use with my quattro levellers as they

do not hold my MH as stated. On top level the handbrake needs to be full on to stop roll back and after

a few nights on site this must be putting a strain on the handbrake cable.

Eh?..................are you saying your hand brake won't hold you at the top of your levelers 8-)..........Might I suggest a visit to your garage and avoid stopping on hills in the mean time :-|..................

Why would you be putting any extra strain on the handbrake cable its no different to parking anywhere if you need to put extra pressure above normal to hold the van when on ramps or on a hill there is something wrong with the handbrake.

Milenco levellers and the claims made by Milenco with regard to "not needing chocks" were discussed on here some time ago. If I apply the handbrake I am unable to swivel the driver's seat so I first chock front and rear wheels before releasing the handbrake. On the Milenco ramps I use short solid plastic chocks and on the rear wheels I use plastic chocks that are shaped to fit under the wheels, before releasing the handbrake. I also use small wooden blocks in front of the rear wheels. As a retired Automotive Engineer with long experience on vehicles and trailers, up to 40 tons GVW, I have learnt not to trust mechanical fittings like handbrakes because you never know for sure just how efficient they will be in a particular situation. I swivel the seat back to the driving position before retiring to bed and apply the handbrake. It's called the "belt and braces" system! Better be Safe than Sorry!!! ;-) B-)

I know I am only new to this  motorhomeing thing, only done it for 5 years with around 90 nights per year away. I have never used a wedge, chock or anything. Just drive up the ramps put the hanbrake on and engage reverse gear. Bobs your uncle, get the kettle on.  

If leaving the handbrake on is going to damage the cable I had better pack up now and dash home from here in Slovenia, as I have left my car parked in the garage with its handbrake on.

From my Hymer manual:

"If the maximum permissible gross weight of the vehicle exceeds 4 tonnes. a wheel chock must be used when parking on gradients."

Even my 3.5 tonne van was supplied with wheel chocks and I use the when on ramps and when possible I try to park across a gradient.

Guest machra
While this doesn't answer your question directly as I have no experience with chocks, have a look at the Milenco MGI levellers. I saw them while I was at Brownhills the other week. I have an interest in these as I have a Burstner Ixeo and have to have the van on levellers while it is being stored or else I get the 'lake on the roof' syndrome. Like you I also have the quattro levellers and also find the handbrake has to be fully on even when on the top level step. As a result I have had the handbrake adjusted twice in a year. The MGI levellers appear to have a deeper dish on the top step than the Quattro and wonder if any members have used these and could confirm whether they hold the van on the top step without having to apply the handbrake fully. I didnt buy these as I have a collection of levellers in the garage and the OH was not in the mood for me to add to that collection :-D

We have wind down rear steadies on the back of our motorhome. I apply the hand brake as normal, leave it in first gear and wang the rear steadies down. Seems to do the trick. Mind you if I didn't have the rear steadies I'd use chicks behind the rear wheels for sure.

What realy worries me is what would happen if I drove over the top of the top level. Anyone ever tried that?

Archived