Forum differences

candapack

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because we are a cool lot who like to help each other out. (lol)

I've posted a few times in the caravan section offering advice to help people out, never received any response at all so don't even bother looking at the other forums now.

Guest Had Enough

This forum is moribund if not dying. It's infuriatingly slow on occasions and that puts off a lot of people who go elsewhere.

The Caravan Club forum only started a couple of years ago and it has more posts in a day than this one has in a month.

If Warners want this forum to survive and give the advertisers value for their money, which they can't be getting at present, here's what they should do:

Scrap the bits that are seldom visited. Acknowledge the simple truth that this is primarily a motorhome forum. People may visit once with a query about caravans, tents or walking, but they never come back as they soon realise that there are much livelier forums dedicated to their particular hobby.

So - out with all the caravan and tent sections.

Increase the motorhome related sections with separate ones for:

Base Vehicles.

Motorhome Marques with sub-sections for the various popular makes.

Technical and mechanical (Misc.)

TV and satellite.

UK Touring.

Foreign Touring with sub-sections for the popular countries.

Site recommendations and comments.

Aires recommendations and comments.

Wild Camping recommendations and comments.

And any others that members can suggest.

BUT ABOVE ALL

Replace the servers with ones that don't take five minutes to post a thread or log on.

Had Enough - 2014-06-17 12:14 PM

This forum is moribund if not dying. It's infuriatingly slow on occasions and that puts off a lot of people who go elsewhere.

The Caravan Club forum only started a couple of years ago and it has more posts in a day than this one has in a month.

If Warners want this forum to survive and give the advertisers value for their money, which they can't be getting at present, here's what they should do:

Scrap the bits that are seldom visited. Acknowledge the simple truth that this is primarily a motorhome forum. People may visit once with a query about caravans, tents or walking, but they never come back as they soon realise that there are much livelier forums dedicated to their particular hobby.

So - out with all the caravan and tent sections.

Increase the motorhome related sections with separate ones for:

Base Vehicles.

Motorhome Marques with sub-sections for the various popular makes.

Technical and mechanical (Misc.)

TV and satellite.

UK Touring.

Foreign Touring with sub-sections for the popular countries.

Site recommendations and comments.

Aires recommendations and comments.

Wild Camping recommendations and comments.

And any others that members can suggest.

BUT ABOVE ALL

Replace the servers with ones that don't take five minutes to post a thread or log on.

Crikey! I've got to agree with you, spot on.

Guest Had Enough
ips - 2014-06-17 1:15 PM

Yes it is very quiet on the caravan section I have no idea why.

It's really very simple. They come here and realise that they're a tiny minority on what is clearly mainly a motorhoming forum.

So they soon learn that there are many other very well attended and lively forums catering specifically for caravanners.

Just do a search on' Caravan Forums' and you'll see what I mean. The really successful forums are Motorhome Facts and Motorhome Fun and it's obvious from their titles whom they cater for. One reason for their success is that they're not trying to attract campers and caravanners and can concentrate on their core audience.

This forum hasn't changed in years. There's been no attempts to revamp it or to find out from the members what we want. I get the impression that Warners aren't really bothered about it. They're certainly not bothering to put any effort into promoting or improving it.

Every businessman needs to be constantly updating and improving his business or he'll get left behind, just like this forum.

Just about the craziest idea ever thought up to divide a perfectly normal interesting forum into a mass of different offshoots.

In one shot anyone can see a variety of questions on a variety of subjects and choose which suits them and learn by it in the process.

If there were a host of specialized threads it would be chaotic going round and round and I for one who like a variety to choose from would bail out pretty damn quick.

A pretty damned daft idea

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2014-06-17 5:03 PM

Just about the craziest idea ever thought up to divide a perfectly normal interesting forum into a mass of different offshoots.

In one shot anyone can see a variety of questions on a variety of subjects and choose which suits them and learn by it in the process.

If there were a host of specialized threads it would be chaotic going round and round and I for one who like a variety to choose from would bail out pretty damn quick.

Mmmmm! It's very odd that the three biggest motorhome forums, all of which have many times more members than this tiddler, use exactly the same system I suggest. Odd that!

And two of them charge an annual membership fee and still manage to knock this one into a cocked hat.

Perhaps you can explain this? ;-)

Thanks for the replies.

To HE (Frank?). From your responses, I assume you only stay on here to give others the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

If so, many thanks. It must be something of a trial for you, given how awful you think this Forum is.

Well done that man!

:D

Guest Had Enough
candapack - 2014-06-17 7:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

To HE (Frank?). From your responses, I assume you only stay on here to give others the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

If so, many thanks. It must be something of a trial for you, given how awful you think this Forum is.

Well done that man!

My pleasure, always happy to help! ;-) I don't every remember saying that this forum is awful. What I did say is that it's moribund and seems to be dying. I'm just trying to suggest a way of boosting the number of members.

The really successful forums all adopt the system I've suggested and despite charging have ten times or more the number of members.

Go figure as the Yanks say! ;-)

Mmmmm! It's very odd that the three biggest motorhome forums, all of which have many times more members than this tiddler, use exactly the same system I suggest. Odd that!

And two of them charge an annual membership fee and still manage to knock this one into a cocked hat.

Brain wracked,which is the third?

Guest Had Enough
gocro - 2014-06-17 7:43 PM

Eh? *-)

Guest peter

It's alright Frank. He's probably forgotten to take his medication today.

I totally agree with you regarding these moribund forums.

It looks like chatterbox has already died RIP.

To be honest the speed of these forums has been crap for a couple of years now, and they deserve to lose members.

Had Enough - 2014-06-17 7:33 PM

candapack - 2014-06-17 7:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Well done that man!

My pleasure, always happy to help! ;-) I don't every remember saying that this forum is awful. What I did say is that it's moribund and seems to be dying. I'm just trying to suggest a way of boosting the number of members.

The really successful forums all adopt the system I've suggested and despite charging have ten times or more the number of members.

Go figure as the Yanks say! ;-)

If a doctor told me I was moribund and seemingly dying, I would think, "that's awful".

But fair enough, you didn't actually use the word.

I can see how you manage to tie the rest of us up in knots, you silver tongued wordsmith.

Now, no more from me on this thread. :D

I think many caravanners look to to the Caravan Club for their forum fix.

The Caravan Club 'Club Together' forum has grown to 469,758 posts in 30 months. This is over 500 posts a day. Of these total posts, 9,720 specifically relate to motorhoming help and advice [c10 a day]. There are over 240,000 posts in the Social Club.

I don't know how many Caravan fora [or forums] exist, but there seems to be a growing number of motorhome ones with only Facts, Fun and OAL getting much business. Perhaps motorhomers are beginning to be spread too thinly.

Had Enough - 2014-06-17 7:50 PM

Eh? *-)

Three biggest, two charge, therefore one does not ,which one ?

Guest Had Enough
gocro - 2014-06-17 10:19 PM

Had Enough - 2014-06-17 7:50 PM

Eh? *-)

Three biggest, two charge, therefore one does not ,which one ?

The Caravan Club.

Guest Had Enough
candapack - 2014-06-17 8:57 PM

If a doctor told me I was moribund and seemingly dying, I would think, "that's awful".

But fair enough, you didn't actually use the word.

I can see how you manage to tie the rest of us up in knots, you silver tongued wordsmith.

Now, no more from me on this thread. :D

Well of course you'd think it's awful if you were told that you're dying, but that doesn't mean that YOU are awful.

Nothing silver tongued about it, just an understanding of the English language.

It's awful that Warners is allowing this forum to decline, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's an awful forum. It just needs some TLC and new technology. One example is the 100kb limit on images - absolutely last century!

antony1969 - 2014-06-18 7:01 AM

The slow death of this forum could be partly down to the Had Enough / Clive arguments and the Had Enough / Peter James argument and the Had Enough / Brian Kirby argument ......... And so on and so on

Totally agree

Also the fact that banned people come back under another name. How can this happen??

Guest Had Enough

The slow death of this forum could be partly down to the Had Enough / Clive arguments and the Had Enough / Peter James argument and the Had Enough / Brian Kirby argument ......... And so on and so on

Well I knew that you'd come along to spew a bit of bile. I'm just surprised it took you so long.

How do you explain the fact that I stopped visiting Chatterbox six months ago yet its decline has continued? Some might attribute it to you and the other bigots who dominated it for so long that it was like an arm of the BNP.

One thing that didn't help is when you and CliveH kept creeping into Motorhome Matters to pollute one thread after another. Ask Judgemental what he thinks about your silly interventions into any electric bike thread. What did he label you, was it 'stupid northern oik'?

And now of course you've done it again. This was a sensible discussion on the future and the features of this forum and once more you couldn't resist your usual hateful stirring.

Prior to your usual nasty intervention it was proceeding quite politely.

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2014-06-18 8:23 AM

Totally agree

Also the fact that banned people come back under another name. How can this happen??

Or at least moderate their posting style upon their return ;-).............

Clearly some people are unable to work out why they were banned on such a regular basis :D.................

I think Frank's suggestions have some legs. In fact what's not to like really, the CC forums are certainly booming along (on a similar vein), and maybe with a few tweaks this one can rise again.

There are still plenty of quality members on here with bags of experience to share, a few berks admittedly but that's life.

I've seen the odd spat on the CC forum, they're not immune.

As for the servers, well there's way too many on here complaining for me to be in the wrong but I don't have any speed problem. I use a Samsung Tab3 on Orange broadband and an Hauwai dongle on our travels.

Martyn

Archived