Water Meter/Gauge

John NG5

Hi to all the Techies. Can anyone tell me if there is any form of gauge to fit to the fresh water supply hose to meter the volume during filling ! I have read that when travelling longish distance that it is advisable to keep weight down by not overfilling. Still wet behind the ears, so any help is great. Greetings from N. Ire. John 8-)

Yes, you can buy such devices, but they are expensive. I used to use one to measure accurately the amount of water I was putting into the wing tanks of my glider (yes, there are times when you want to make a glider a lot heavier!). However, a much cheaper and simpler solution is to make up a graduated dipstick for your water tank. If your tank is a simple box, then the graduations will be evenly spaced. If it has an odd shape, you will need to fill the tank once, by hand, from a 25 litre container via a funnel, marking the dipstick as you go. Finally, if weight is your problem, there's no point in doing any of this until you know what the actual and maximum total weight and axle weights of your motorhome are. If it's just a matter of keeping as light as possible to enhance fuel consumption, then the human eyeball will check how much water is on board. For more info on weights, search the forum using 'weights', 'loaded weight' and similar phrases - there's lots ion the archive.

Hi John NG5- Many years ago when I ventured to make my first motorhome the water tank I fitted was inside a cupboard, with no way of knowing how much water was in it unless it overflowed. The tank held 5 gal and on its side base was an outlet plug which I fitted a length of clear plastic water hose which came out through the side cupboard wall up to the height of the tank with a cap on top, when the water showed half way up that meant about 2.5gal was in and so on, simple, but a damm sight more accurate than my present electric panel guage needle which as a mind of its own. My last van had no guage and so when leaving for a trip I used to fill about 5gal in by counting in seconds the time it took to fill a 5gal water container I had spare, our water pressure at home is always constant, and 5gal is enough to last you till get to where you are going. regards Chas

Archived