Fiat Ducato Ace Milano engine issues

thecat7457

I have owned since 2007 a new Ace Milano and have experienced two expensive issues apparently due to the low activity of the vehicle. Bit of a shock as they are by definition a leisure vehicle and not used every day. Two years ago I had to replace the catalytic convertor because it had coroded. Recently we returned from Cornwall only for the engine management light to come on and shut down the engine, not even limp mode. The result was a slow return on a low loader. I have had the vehicle looked at and it is apparently corossion of a connection in the mother board that instructs the 4th injector. This is being attributed to moisture in the ECU due to inactivity....apparently I would have been better off doing 100,000 miles not the 17,000 that I have done. I am facing a bill around £1800 and feeling a bit disappointed that a £34,000 purchase is facing such issues when a motorhome will always be a low mileage item and will stand for lengthy periods (I do start it weekly and drive it for a few miles).

Are my expectations too high or are these problems that a low mileage motorhome, albeit 7 years old, should not be having?

Yes you probably expecting too much does not mater what motor home you have even if it 200 grand liner the bit that does the work is still a commercial van that is designed to do 25000 mile plus a year and be thrown away after 3 or 4 years.

As you are aware it is not uncommon to get more problems with vehicles left standing around than if they are in daily use. Your mileage is very low would I be right in assuming you lay it up for the winter if you do it is probably the worse thing you can do. At that time of year everything is covered in moist & damp air the best thing you can do is use, if I haven't used my van for two or three weeks in the winter I take it out for a run of at least 20 miles.

My last Motorhome was 5½ years old when I sold it had done 28,000 miles, so still very low mileage compared to a commercial van. in that time the only fault was a broken face vent that happened in the first week, it ran as they say like clockwork.

thecat7457 - 2014-06-19 9:02 PM

I am facing a bill around £1800 and feeling a bit disappointed that a £34,000 purchase is facing such issues when a motorhome will always be a low mileage item and will stand for lengthy periods (I do start it weekly and drive it for a few miles).

Are my expectations too high or are these problems that a low mileage motorhome, albeit 7 years old, should not be having?

If the conversion built on a base vehicle to meet your expectations it would probably have put 30 grand or more on the price if you had the option would you have paid the extra? :-D

thecat7457 - 2014-06-19 9:02 PM

I have owned since 2007 a new Ace Milano and have experienced two expensive issues apparently due to the low activity of the vehicle. Bit of a shock as they are by definition a leisure vehicle and not used every day. Two years ago I had to replace the catalytic convertor because it had coroded. Recently we returned from Cornwall only for the engine management light to come on and shut down the engine, not even limp mode. The result was a slow return on a low loader. I have had the vehicle looked at and it is apparently corossion of a connection in the mother board that instructs the 4th injector. This is being attributed to moisture in the ECU due to inactivity....apparently I would have been better off doing 100,000 miles not the 17,000 that I have done. I am facing a bill around £1800 and feeling a bit disappointed that a £34,000 purchase is facing such issues when a motorhome will always be a low mileage item and will stand for lengthy periods (I do start it weekly and drive it for a few miles).

I would be very surprised if the problem is actually in the ECU. It is in a fairly well sealed canister under a reasonably good cover and is not particularly likely to have a build up of any kind of moisture in or around it. What is much more likely is that there is a problem with a wire somewhere in the harness and most likely in the bundles either side of the ECU and under the nearside headlamp. There have been many misdiagnosed faults that have cost owners large amounts of money when the fault was actually in the wiring. Before stumping up that kind of cash make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to unwrap the loom and check each and every wire. They will find a broken wire or a corroded terminal at a connector. I cannot over stress the importance of this!

If in the extremely unlikely event that it is actually the ECU; there are a number of firms in the UK that can repair your ECU for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one from the manufacturer.

Nick

Archived