Safe to travel with rear side windows open?

johnlc

We're off to Devon for a few days tomorrow. Given the lovely weather and the fact we'll have two rear seat passengers, it's probably going to be pretty warm in the back of the van.

Is there a risk of damage to the plastic sliding rear side windows if we travel with them open at motorway speeds? It would help keep it cooler in the back if we could.

I do know not to travel with the rooflights open!

Thanks

Hi Johnlc

I can’t speak from experience but I would certainly not travel with the side plastic windows open. At motorway speeds you are effectively in a wind of at least 60 to 70 mph.

If a window were to break, apart from the damage to your ‘van it could cause damage to other vehicles and may even cause an accident. I would not take the risk.

Cattwg :-D

Unless they(the sliders)have just been fitted so as to clear something like a door, then I would assume(and it is just an assumption)that the idea of using sliders, is so that they can be opened whilst travelling (..we would have our slider open slightly, when we had people travelling in the back).

Lets face it, there are just any many, lips, edges and gaps for the wind to get under, on things like "closed" roof-lights, as there will be on an open sliding window...and if it been fitted correctly, it should slide forwards, and be tucked behind the rigid, fixed section anyway.

One thing to be mindful of and that's where the exhaust exits, if it's close to or under the window, then keep an eye(nose!) on any whiffs entering the van...

johnlc - 2014-06-21 8:54 AM

We're off to Devon for a few days tomorrow. Given the lovely weather and the fact we'll have two rear seat passengers, it's probably going to be pretty warm in the back of the van.

Is there a risk of damage to the plastic sliding rear side windows if we travel with them open at motorway speeds? It would help keep it cooler in the back if we could.

Thanks

We have travelled with the Heki roof partly open (and locked) gives ventilation. Why not just open the Driverr/Passenger window?

PJay

Earlier this week I followed a Carioca MH along the M56 towards Manchester. It was a 14 plate hire van. All three rooflights were open and flapping about in the wind, obviously all broken. Also a nearside window was flapping about up to 90 degrees horizontal. Presumably the stays must have also broken. Make of it what you will but I'll bet the hire company will be pleased.

Thanks for your responses. Some vans do have a wind deflector on the sliding rear windows but ours doesn't. Given the windows slide from front to back this seems more likely to let air in and cause turbulence. If it had slid the other way I would probably try it, but as it is I'm not inclined to do so at motorway speeds. I certainly don't like having the cab windows open at motorway speeds because of the turbulence. East Neuk suggest it is best not to try it other than at speeds of 40mph or below.

I'd be interested to know whether the wind deflector makes a lot of difference.

Hi, we are currently on holiday in Germany, we've been away now for over 2 weeks with 3 to go! We have side sliding windows in our camper (2012 Autocruise Accent) and travel all over with them open on the sliding door side as the dogs can't get out that way, the one next to dinette table sometimes is open partially in transit too.

We don't do this on the motorway simply because one of our dogs is terrified of going on them, but do often travel at 50 mph or there abouts with them open and have never had a problem with them, we've done this since we bought the camper nearly 2 years ago and have put about 11,000 miles on it since then. The windows don't move at all whilst we're travelling.

I think its a case of suck it and see. Try it with the window open at say 30 mph and gradually work up speed.

I have known instances where severe buffeting and or resonance occurs and others where its barely noticable the window is open.

It can be dangerous to leave tailgate windows open as exhaust fumes can get drawn in and cause drowsyness.

At the moment the weather here in Devon is superb and large numbers of motorcaravans are moving around.

We regularly travel with the small sliding window on the offside half open at speeds up to 60mph, without any problems, in order to provide fresh air for the dog in hot and humid conditions. We haven't had any problems over the past seven years. ;-) B-)

pepe63 - 2014-06-21 12:54 PM

...and if it been fitted correctly, it should slide forwards, and be tucked behind the rigid, fixed section anyway.

Just to correct my earlier inaccuracy

..I've just come across a photo of our previous van and the slider on that, did indeed slide from front to back..and the sliding pane, was outermost, so not tucked behind the fixed pane. :$

(it's the slider that I've fitted into our current Hiace van, that is how I initially described).Sorry..

Guest pelmetman

We travel with ours open if its hot............Motorway speed for us = 56 - 60 mph............I could go faster ;-)......

Honest :D...........

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2014-06-22 8:49 AM

pelmetman - 2014-06-22 8:35 AM

...Motorway speed for us = 56 - 60 mph

Think they meant going forward Dave, not in reverse.... :D

L Hamilton

Its due to the dam PC brigade Martyn *-)........................

The AA relay wagons are not allowed to go any faster (lol)..............Saves on fuel though ;-)

We had a small sliding window above the kitchen in a self-built merc campervan,always left it open for the dogs never had a problem until we fitted a kitchen roll holder below cupboard,unknown to us the wind sucked the roll out so it unwound out the window,it was industrial strength so didnt break just flapped about out of the window,looked like about twenty feet of it when we responded to the car horns and frantically waving overtakers!No damage done just felt a bit daft

Bulletguy - 2014-06-23 2:19 AM

johnlc - 2014-06-21 8:54 AM

As long as it's not a large Heki and only the small 'venting' ones......why not?

I would also add, and not those opening looking forward or fitted opening across the motorhome

Archived