Leisure Battery Loosing charge

julesgemini

I ran my battery totally flat one weekend and couldnt use hookup to charge it as I was wild camping. I fitted a solar panel and after the first day the leisure battery charged to 12v. The solar output from the controller was 14.1v. After 3 days I'm getting 13.6v from the battery and the controller is indicating that the battery is fully charged. Furthermore it seems to report fully charged after 1 hour of sun in the morning. Problem is if I run my 15" tv for a couple of hours at night and 1 or 2 lights plus water pump. I get a low battery light. I tuned everything off as I was told it's not a good idea to run the battery flat. Before I got the panel I was using the hook up built in charger and the battery would last ages. I can't use that as I'm wild camping at the moment for a week or so. My question is , will the 80w panel charge the battery fully or do I need to use hook up. Will the hookup charge fix the problem? or will the solar fix it after time?

Running your battery totally flat 'might' just have knackered it good and proper.  The only way to find out is have it tested which your local 'outlet' should be able to do for you.

Totally flattening a battery causes damage to the plates meaning it's ability to accept and hold a charge is degraded.  Amongst others, Halfrauds have a free battery condition check.  Good luck

For your usage a 80w panel should easily cope, ours does. So it appears that your battery is down on capacity although you don't say what size it is. Will the panel will solve your problem? I doubt it, give it a few days, but I think a new battery will be needed.

RogerC - 2014-06-23 3:02 PMRunning your battery totally flat 'might' just have knackered it good and proper.  The only way to find out is have it tested which your local 'outlet' should be able to do for you.

Totally flattening a battery causes damage to the plates meaning it's ability to accept and hold a charge is degraded.  Amongst others, Halfrauds have a free battery condition check.  Good luck

Thank you, not what I wanted to hear but I'll have to hope its ok

colin - 2014-06-23 4:16 PM

For your usage a 80w panel should easily cope, ours does. So it appears that your battery is down on capacity although you don't say what size it is. Will the panel will solve your problem? I doubt it, give it a few days, but I think a new battery will be needed.

Thank you will give it a week of solar charging and see if it's ok then

julesgemini - 2014-06-24 2:42 PM

colin - 2014-06-23 4:16 PM

Thank you will give it a week of solar charging and see if it's ok then

it's an 85ah battery

Archived