DIY spare wheel cradle

Guest machra

Guest machra
I have a Burstner Ixeo which came with the standard tin of goo as the waste water tank has been fitted under the rear of the van where the spare wheel should go. Van is a standard Fiat Camper chassis (wider rear wheel base). Looking underneath I notice that there is room to fit a spare wheel in front of the handbrake mounting/rear chassis. My question is - has anyone mounted a spare here and if so what fittings did they use? I know that old transit chassis cabs had their spare under slung at the side of the van. I have had a look on the internet but found nothing however, I was looking at modifying an under slung gas tank frame and straps. Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

My Transit has the side slung spare. It would not be difficult for a decent fabricator to make something up, but remember the wheels are heavy. The Transit has a winch system that allows you to raise and lower the wheel. Maybe a jack and hinged cradle would work.

Hang on, where's my mig welder (lol)

H

Mine's in a roof box at the moment until I sort the fiat under floor fixing out.

It's accessible by the ladder at the back, and I've bunged the jack and loads of other rarely used stuff up there as well. If hasn't affected the handling, it still steers like the Queen Mary.

I wouldn't think of changing it myself, just stand and point to where it is when the breakdown arrives.

If I didn't have a spare they could refuse to do it, or have to find a correct specification replacement.

French breakdown men are not allowed to put different spec wheels on the same axle. So I could be waiting a long time if it's not repairable.

See pic of the standard X250 spare mounting,

There is a winch over the centre of the wheel and a flexible drive cable can be seen going away towards the bottm right. This cable connects to a place at the side where the manual winding handle fits.

It might be possible to fabricate brackets to relocate the assembly to where there is space.

The RWD Ford Transit used a similar similar arrangment for many years and it looks like its still in use on the latest one. There are usually some on offer on e bay for under £50 but your local van breaker might be a cheaper bet.

225788344_X250sparemount.jpg.65a691df185fb61a3618c50b8c476430.jpg

Archived