Solar charge controller EPHC10-EC

julesgemini

I recently fitted an 80w Solar panel connected to an EPHC10-EC charge controller. I've had battery problems but I think my leisure battery might be on the way out due to me running it flat before I fitted the panel. My question is this. Can anyone explain what the load terminals are for on the controller? Am I right in thinking they run directly from the solar panel and don't effect the battery at all? I connected an inverter and a laptop charger load terminals. The voltage on the load dropped from 13.7v to 12.9v the charger and laptop seemed to work fine. What is confusing me is after a couple of mins the middle light on the charge controller came on (instead of blinking in float mode) indicating that the battery needed charging! If the battery was full and the load is direct to the panel how can this be? Also after I disconnected the inverter from the load connection the voltage on the load had dropped to 13.1v and the middle light was still on indicating it was charging the battery? Also if I use something plugged into the load will this effect battery charging? Thanks guys

connect battery to the battery terminals ... connect solar panel to the solar terminals ... dont put anything on the load terminals .... these are for things like a bulb in a dark shed... thats all you need to do ... then you run all your bits off the battery as normal.... don't expect miracles from your solar panel , they are dependant on amount of light, time of year , angles and efficiency. the best way to get the most out of your battery is use LED lights and an 12v tv... an inverter uses loads of power just to change the voltage to 240... hope this helps

Archived