Calais Aires

Wasnt Me

pepe63 - 2014-07-03 11:18 AM

Wasn't me(OP)...

..if you're still about, if it's your first time through the tunnel, I came across this on another forum some time ago..and I thought it may be helpful to you...

(..it's in "real time" and therefore a bit long winded, so try not to doze off.... :-D ).

Excellent bit of film that pepe - thanks for the link.

I've not been UK to France by tunnel - only used it coming back - so it was interesting to see what this side is like.

The only bit I couldn't see were any of the " electronic boards " calling the vehicles forward by their allocated letter. I can only assume they are in prominent positions Presumably the video camera couldn't pick them up because of the usual flicker that occurs when filming such signs.

;-)

Zydeco Joe - 2014-07-04 2:19 PM

Had our Gas checked both going out and coming back never had it checked going by ferry.

I do not think it is a requirement of the ferry so it would not be checked and I have never seen any checking. Been checked for illegals though although that appears to have tailed off

malc d - 2014-07-04 3:03 PM

The only bit I couldn't see were any of the " electronic boards " calling the vehicles forward by their allocated letter. I can only assume they are in prominent positions Presumably the video camera couldn't pick them up because of the usual flicker that occurs when filming such signs.

;-)

Glad it's of some use....

(I half expected it to get laughed at, by some of the seasoned, Marco Polo types on here... (lol)

I've not used the tunnel..but I assume that the large blue(flickering!)sign that you can see when they're parked up outside the terminal, is one of the "electronic boards" he was referring to.....

(at about 10mins in..)

sshortcircuit - 2014-07-04 3:34 PM

Zydeco Joe - 2014-07-04 2:19 PM

Had our Gas checked both going out and coming back never had it checked going by ferry.

I do not think it is a requirement of the ferry so it would not be checked and I have never seen any checking. Been checked for illegals though although that appears to have tailed off

Was also checked getting on the Tunnel at Calais in January this year for illegals. Good to see that they were doing a good job. B-)

pepe63 - 2014-07-04 4:31 PM

malc d - 2014-07-04 3:03 PM

;-)

I've not used the tunnel................................... .)

Well it is only a recent innovation - I'm sure you'll get round to it.

;-)

Wasn't Me - 2014-06-25 4:08 PM

Hi we are going over to Calais on the 26th July on the tunnel at 21.30.

We plan to stay in Calais for a night and planned on using an Aire.

I am now concerned about finding space on one and thinking we should have booked an earlier tunnel?

We are not fussy about what its like we just want somewhere to sleep for the night, we will be up early to get on our way.

We did buy 'All the Aires' and can use this.

Is this going to be a problem? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tunnel 35 mins + one hour for France, so you'll be arriving a little after 23:00 French time. I agree, arrive early at UK terminal and hope. They may offer an earlier ferry at additional cost, or at no cost. If not, it will be dark when you arrive.

As you exit the shuttle terminal stay right (dual carriageway), and then take the first right exit. It's only about 250 metres beyont the last of the terminal bridges across the exit road. Don't know what it is signed. It leads to a roundabout, at which you turn left (second exit, signed Cite Europe), and follow the signs. Next roundabout has an Ibis hotel on right - go straight on. Next roundabout again, turn left (second exit) and there you are. 10 mins, maybe less.

I don't frequent it, I've been using Google Earth. :-D

Archived