Kirklees Council camping restrictions could drive away Tour de France visitors

sambukashot

Good, this means I will be able to ride my scooter from my pre booked campsite up to Holme Moss and watch the race over the summit without loads of camper vans blocking the view. Although like SS would doubt they have any legal standing but if car park blocked off with a great lump of rock it makes little difference.

Typical British attitude great international event coming their way , how can we help everyone enjoy it, nar lets just P**s them off instead and drive all the visitors away and fleece all the car owners for parking.

Just spent D Day week in Normandy nearly every town we visited had fields or areas opened up for Motorhomes and other fields for cars guess what all free. The camping car field in one town had over 300 Motorhomes in it all free with plenty of space. Another town they had turned a brand new parking area over to camping cars only and cancelled the charges for the week and opened up a field next to for the over spill.

lennyhb - 2014-06-26 7:29 PMTypical British attitude great international event coming their way , how can we help everyone enjoy it, nar lets just P**s them off instead and drive all the visitors away and fleece all the car owners for parking.Just spent D Day week in Normandy nearly every town we visited had fields or areas opened up for Motorhomes and other fields for cars guess what all free. The camping car field in one town had over 300 Motorhomes in it all free with plenty of space. Another town they had turned a brand new parking area over to camping cars only and cancelled the charges for the week and opened up a field next to for the over spill.

Ah that's all well and good but without all these restrictions and planners to come up with all these mind boggling 'elf and safety' ideas what would all our 'local despotic mandarins' do for a job?  Heaven forbid they ever do anything to actually 'encourage' people to the area to spend spend spend.........it must be so much more fun for them to come up with ever more stupid ideas and ways to waste the taxpayers money.

Having looked at the articles those boulders are without doubt a real danger to the cyclists............whoever signed off on this stupidly dangerous over reaction should be sacked forthwith.

I don't give two hoots about the tour even though it will take in the area I live and I'm certainly no fan of our locals at kirklees council but to suggest they are killing tourism and the like by not allowing parking or camping on fairly rural roads is bonkers

We are in France at the moment, we drove through a sleepy little village in SW France, village shop and a small hotel restaurant opposite a large car park and a covered market area. At the far end of the(free) car park there was a toilet with a motorhome service point and four free hook-up points for the motorhomes. There was one French motorhome there with sat dish up. I guess some of the motorhomes will use the bar and shop so it will bring in business.

We are staying on a campsite, nothing flash but 5 mins from the river with a beach where the dog can swim, nice heated pool, 10amp,water & waste on pitch and free Wi-Fi for 10 euro a night, 7th night free on ACSI

Another small campsite we stayed in didn't have a pool but they gave you a token for the local swimming pool which was next door so you could get in free. We shop in the local shops and spend money going to the local economy

Our last weekend away in the UK was £36 pn and then they wanted £3.50 each extra to use the pool. We are lucky that we are in France for six months but the UK economy will get nothing from our hard earned cash (apart from the BL**DY council tax) So for the price of 2 nights in the UK we get 11 nights on this French site.

It seems that in the UK motorhomers are treated worse that those travellers of an ethnic minority (I hope that is politically correct enough as not to offend anyone) as I guess if they turned up to watch the tour de France no one would move them on as it would take 6 weeks for the local council to do anything about them.

These stones are a definite safety hazard. With all the spectators lining the route, with their attention on the publicity caravan and the riders, it would be easy for someone to step forwards or backwards and trip on these stones. If I was liability claims lawyer I would be there ready to hand out my business card.

lennyhb - 2014-06-26 7:29 PM

Typical British attitude great international event coming their way , how can we help everyone enjoy it, nar lets just P**s them off instead and drive all the visitors away and fleece all the car owners for parking.

Just spent D Day week in Normandy nearly every town we visited had fields or areas opened up for Motorhomes and other fields for cars guess what all free. The camping car field in one town had over 300 Motorhomes in it all free with plenty of space. Another town they had turned a brand new parking area over to camping cars only and cancelled the charges for the week and opened up a field next to for the over spill.

Drive all the visitors away Lennie, do not think so every campsite for miles booked solid. They are expecting around 60,000 spectators on and around Holme Moss alone and this road is being closed from 4 July so no motor traffic at all. It will keep away all the free loaders, or wild campers, as they like to call themselves so the people there will all spend money not expect everything for free as a lot on here do. This sounds like good business to me, no wonder France is going bust if they do not take advantage of events like this.

Guest Had Enough

Yorkshire is actually going to a lot of trouble to welcome the tour.

There's also going to be a massive campsite at Holme Moss.

rupert123 - 2014-06-26 5:31 PM

Good, this means I will be able to ride my scooter from my pre booked campsite.

Only if it is one of those scooters you push along with one leg. All motorised transport along the route will be stopped from 07:00 or earlier at some locations.

AliB - 2014-06-30 9:39 AM

rupert123 - 2014-06-26 5:31 PM

Good, this means I will be able to ride my scooter from my pre booked campsite.

Only if it is one of those scooters you push along with one leg. All motorised transport along the route will be stopped from 07:00 or earlier at some locations.

No I have a route sorted out, bit of walking involved but no problem with that.

All the Councils along the route have imposed rather draconian traffic measures to ensure the route is kept clear. I understand that there will be no parking allowed in laybys which are considered to be part of the carriageway, and on verges similarly.

Indeed yesterday on the Cote de Buttertubs road out of Hawes, there are signs prohibiting stopping/parking on the road from July1 (yesterday) until July 6th, the race passes on the 5th) with the threat of towing away any parked vehicles. We parked and unloaded anyway.

Much of the road network anywhere near the route is going to be shut for most of the day from early, so don't try travelling around, many of the roads will be blocked and no doubt others grid locked!

The road closure on much of the Buttertubs Pass from Hawes to Muker is from 6pm on the Friday evening until late afternoon on Saturday. The proposed road closure intially cut off a large hotel, a campsite, lots of holiday lets, several farms and some local houses. the road closure now allows access to these but not as far as our Scout Camping Barn, the members coming by minibus after work and school will have to walk the last half mile or so.

I took up the additional tents, big BBQ, personal luggage, sleeping mats and sleeping bags, non perishable food etc yesterday.

There must have been cyclists going past every 5 mins yesterday trying to do the pass, some looked ready to pass out even as they got to us just above the campsite.

On our way back we came over the scenic route ( 2m width restriction) over Fleet Moss, stunning views in the bright afternoon sun and lower down in Wharfedale on the Le Tour route all the villages were decked out in yellow bikes, bunting, and red dots. there's temporary campsites everywhere, even a few scaffold "granstands" for people to get the best view of the race.

Let's hope the forecast improves and we get some sun to advertise Yorkshire to Europe. The scenery will blow their socks off.

So if you're going to watch it live, hopefully we'll be on 210 - 230 pm on the hill just after they've featured Hardraw Force ( where Kevin Costner once swam as Robin Hood, and there's Brass Band concerts in the summer). Look out for the Barn with a few tents and the Scout Banner " 1st Spen Valley on Le Tour " hopefully it'll be spread out in the field, and....... give us a wave

alan

Well looking at the tele this afternoon it would seem that the council didn't manage to spoil the day.

and it was just as well that there was none of them motorhomes and other traffic up the hills as the chaps on their bikes would not have been able to get through

HWO

snowie - 2014-07-06 11:12 PM

Well done Yorkshire! a bit too crowded for me, but what a reception!

alan b

Well done Yorkshire indeed !

The London Establishment have been so impressed that they've been looking at their maps to find out where it is.

;-)

Why no "Tour of Britain"? ( I know there used to be "the Milk race") British tourism would benefit.

regards

alan b

Alan, it has been run most years but I guess since the Milk Marketing Board withdrew their sponsorship the race has struggled.

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/

We watched the Tour de Yorkshire just after the climb to Grinton Moor. The road still goes uphill for a long way after the official top so the riders are still spread out but it was not crowded here. Most people we sitting having a picnic. Some people go to a lot of effort - carrying a wicker picnic hamper all the way to the top of the moors. Still they looked like they enjoyed their Pimms.

My daughter took her family up in the motorhome. Stayed at Harewood House, didn't bother with a £30 hook up!

Brilliant atmosphere, but went on well into the small hours so no one got any sleep.

Excellent organisation everywhere, so the council got it right, anything parked by the side of the road would have caused problems.

Her only complaint was that burgers went up from £3.50 to £4.50 when the main arena sellers complained they were being under-cut.

Far from messing up perhaps the French could come and take some lessons from Yorkshire, I have little doubt from Cambridgeshire to. What an event better and more fun than any stage I have ever been on in France. Perhaps this will help shut up all the anti UK people on here, doubt it though.

AliB - 2014-07-07 10:04 AM

Why no "Tour of Britain"? ( I know there used to be "the Milk race") British tourism would benefit.

regards

alan b

Alan, it has been run most years but I guess since the Milk Marketing Board withdrew their sponsorship the race has struggled.

I heard that just after I'd posted, but they obviously don't get much tv coverage if any; we/they are missing a trick or two,

alan b

Archived