Which TomTom

robin

I am concluding that a TomTom sat nav with European mapping is best suited to my motorhoming needs, mainly because of the wide availability of POIs for such things as French Aires. Based on that assumption, the Go 700 or Go 710 look like the best bet. The former has been superceded by the latter, but is still available for around £60 less - does anyone have a view on whether it would be worth paying the extra? :-S

Hi Robin We have Tom Tom 700. I don't know how the new 710 differs. The 700 is fine for us. Only things lacking are 'large vehicle routing' and unable to enter latitude and longtitude which seems to be quoted on most camp site directions. Roy.

Robin and Roy, You can get a form of large vehicle routing, at least as far as speeds are concerned by restricting the maximum driving speed. I find thtis enables TomTom to match its ETA to what actually happens very accurately. Of course, it doesn't handle low bridges or weight restricted roads but the latter are not normally a problem unless you're over 3.5 tonnes or 7.5 tonnes. I believe the 710 has a slightly bigger screen but that on the 700 is fine. It may be worth the extra, however, if the 710 has more recent mapping since a mapping update will cost you at least the extra and it makes sense to have the most recent mapping possible. Check for the mapping version before you buy.

makes a change for me to have some news lol if you download the update manager from tom tom, it will update your version of 700, the changes as far as i can see is; better screen (colours seem sharper) and latitude and longtituede is now available. it works slightly different and took a while for me to figure it out (but thats probably me)i'm sure there are other changes, more satellites for one. when you down load this manager and plug tom in via usb, you can plan routes on a virtual tom tom on screen, which makes typing in the info easier also you can run the route for longer than you coult on tom itself. one thing to rember though, DONT unplug tom tom from your computer until you have turned off the virtual one on screen or it courupts what you have. you can also back up your tom tom with a single click. hope you can make sense of this. pete

Hi again Breakaleg Thanks for that, found it straight away. I haven't used the Tom Tom since I downloaded so I suppose it would soon have hit me. Anyway it is nice to know it is there and I am grateful to you for drawing attention to it. I shall look forward to being able to use it very soon. Cheers, Roy.

Archived