Ouistreham/Caen ferry-port parking

Derek Uzzell

A word of warning regarding parking at Ouistreham ferry-port...

Historically it has been practicable to park free of charge (for, if I remember correctly, up to 48 hours) in the car-park immediately adjoining the ferry terminal. In future there will be a 2-tonne vehicle-weight limit, rising-barriers at the car-park entrance and exit and payment via a ticketing system.

The newly-defined spaces within the car-park itself are very clearly not designed for large vehicles and, although it might be straightforward to enter the car-park with a reasonably large motorhome, leaving it through the tortuous exit may be challenging.

When we were at Ouistreham yesterday the barriers were being worked on and it was still possible to use the car-park without payment. The large weight-limit sign at the car-park's entrance failed to deter a French motorcaravanner from driving in, finding it impossible to park and then having to endure hilarity and finger-wagging from the men working on the exit-barrier when he found that leaving the car-park required multiple backwards/forwards 'goes' to manoevre the motorhome through the tightly curved exit.

Parking elsewhere near the ferry-port is still possible of courese (if you can find a suitable space) and the (pay-to-park) aire de camping-cars close by remains an option.

Thanks Derek - useful info

( Just missed you - I was there on Tuesday ).

That car park has always been a bit tight so I'm not surprised they are limiting entry.

Not an easy town to park in I've found - on the odd occasion I've just ended up in a side street

The aire has always been pretty full when I've seen it.

;-)

If we are talking about the same Aire which is on Blvd Maritime it is an 8 Euro charge per 24 hours or part thereof and is payable only by credit card which was causing all manner of issues for those that were trying to use it last week.

The 8 Euros does include water etc as I understand it but the place is very noisy and busy with ferries and vehicles coming and going and we didn't fancy a stop so moved on to one of the several free and quiet village type Aires nearby where we got a good night's kip followed by fresh baguette etc in the morning.

The motorhome aire de services at Ouistreham is well described here

http://www.campercontact.com/fr/campersite/detail/id/2128

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/calvados/14-ouistreham

Its obvious attractions are its nearness to the ferry terminal, to the beach and to the town - otherwise it's a miserable place to stay in my opinion.

The 8€ charge is for 24h parking, 10 minutes-worth of water-replenishment, and waste-emptying, but one can stay at Camping Municipal Les Pommiers on the way out of town where 230V electricity is included in the 11.60€ 'camping-car' 1-night tariff.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-06-28 11:54 AM

Its obvious attractions are its nearness to the ferry terminal, to the beach and to the town - otherwise it's a miserable place to stay in my opinion.

Agreed - but there are plenty of other beaches and many other pleasant towns and villages close at hand!!

Archived