Aires in England?

jmfernan

Hi,

I am a Spanish motorhomer planning to visit England again. I was there two 4 years ago and. I had some problems to find places to spend the night. However, I got to enjoy about 25 days from London to Liverpool passing even across Wales. I wonder if things have changed and there are more facilities. On the other hand, what happens in Scotland? In that trip I usually parked in the street or in parking places.

Hi, we have just returned from lytham st annes ( not far from Liverpool). There is motorhome parking behind the swimming pool in st annes right on the seafront.no facilities at the moment but very central for shops, restaurants etc. there are 7 large bays and more smaller ones. The cost is very reasonable, 3 days for £21 ( maximum stay) or less for 1 or 2 days.lovely seaside town.

Short answer is that there are very few Aires in England still, so in that regard situation is little changed to when you were here four years ago. Regarding Britstops then this is like the France Passion scheme you may well be familiar with. To join just look on line, not available in book shops etc. Yes there are a lot of campsites in England but in peak summer time you will often need to book ahead which might well not fit with your view of motorhoming.

Nearly forgot! We also visit stratford upon Avon and stay on the racecourse which is a pleasant 15 minute walk along the river into town. Think it's approx £14 a night , all facilities included. And if you go for the racing ( must be there the day before) you get the entrance free. Lots to do here, plenty of restaurants, shops etc.

Thanks a lot for this valuable information. By the way, Contributor, Stratford was one of the place we visited when we was in England. It was just one of the few places with a special park place for motorhomer, like Canterbury, for instance. We visited Bath, York, Brighton, Cambridge, Oxford, Stonehenge, Glastonbury, Liverpool and Cardiff in Wales. At least these are the towns that I remember now. We didn't have many problems though we sometimes had to dedicate a long time to find a place. We are going to have a look at Britstops.

Guest JudgeMental

That's right you need. tobuy the book..

as for your original question "aires in England" fat chance I would think!

Best to join one or both of the clubs, CC and/or CCC and use their network of CL's which are basic and relatively cheap

peejay - 2014-06-28 10:13 AM

Hi,

You can get temporary 3 month overseas membership of the Camping and Caravanning Club, see....

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/aboutus/join-the-club/overseas-visitors/visitors-from-spain/introducci-n/

Pete

And with that if you were to join at any of the sites you will get the Big Sites Book which has all the sites in the U.K including C.L,s Same with the Caravan Club .

Hi

there are plenty of suitable parking places in uk but only a few aire type places. One is at Old Dover Road park and ride in Canterbury. Otherwise its a car park or street parking. I have been camping off site for about 10 years and never had a problem. Avoid big cities and the centre of town or popular sea fronts and you will have no problem finding a suitable spot. Some areas are better than others indeed North Devon has just relaxed its parking to allow overnighting in its car parks. When you need water just find a cheap site ( £7.00) to overnight and fill up . There are a number of uk web sites that have locations shown and wifi hotspots are plentiful so you can look them up on internet. Have fun ....

Just pull into any lay-by with space for a 44 tonne truck, draw the curtains around the cab and sleep.

Truck drivers can park almost anywhere and sleep, their rules control when they must rest and that is just what they do.

Why can't we? Or can we but just don't do it?

Archived