Glastonbury

Pampam

Guest Had Enough
Pampam - 2014-06-27 9:39 PM

Are there many on this forum who have had the good fortune to go and camp at glastonbury this year? (Thats on my wish lust of things to do ) pp:)

I once stayed on a super CC farm CL just outside Glastonbury. It had a lovely view of the Tor. But I don't think I could stand the noise of the festival.

I've never had a wish lust although when I was younger I had many lust wishes. ;-)

They have one near me at clumber park (80's) festival my daughter goes every year she fancies glastonbury for her 40th next year and i thiught i might go too if ive got a new van by then (fingers crossed) i dont want to rough it ive done all that in me youth like a bit of comfort nowadays :will watch it ont telly cos Dolly Parton is on and i luv her(hubby hates country music). Hes a northern soulie lol

Bath Festival 1971 (I think), Led Zeppelin! Been to a few since but nothing compares. I was 18 just finished A levels at Preston GS, me & my mate hitched it down the M6, I don't think we slept much for 4 days, got woke about 6am one day to Country Joe 1,2,3 what are we fighting 4....

Just watching Metallica at the mo, wish they'd stop effing...no need.

regards

Allen

Guest JudgeMental
Pampam - 2014-06-28 9:41 PM

Judge :- has your lad learnt the jolene dance for glastonbury ? Its on utube ,weve been doing it at work today lol pp :) give it a bash

I would think he has as much interest in DP as me :D there is so much on, so many stages....they do a spreed sheet on line that you can work out your preferences and arrange timings..there's an art to this stuff. I'm going to see Neil Young with him at Hyde park in a few weeks...can handle that :-D

I priced it up for the van and it was over £500!

Used to go in the late 80's early 90's when I was a youngster. Back then you could drive your car into the main field. I remember in 1989 sat on the roof of my battered Renault 5 (complete with glittery stars on it) drinking scrumpy in the sun parked right in front of the Pyramid stage watching the sound checks on the Wednesday afternoon. bet you cant do that now.

I really enjoyed the coverage last night but I do wish they would show some of the other stuff going on in the other fields and tents. It really is a big city and probably warrents an entire program about the other stuff going on not just the music.

I suspect its like a lot of these things you did when you were younger. Try and revisit them and its never the same. Bit like an old Girlfriend or mistress that was super sexy 25 years ago! 8-)

JudgeMental - 2014-06-29 8:29 AM

I'm going to see Neil Young with him at Hyde park in a few weeks...can handle that :-D

.....your level of enjoyment will depend on "which" Neil Young turns up. ;-)

I saw him in concert in Nottingham just before his Glastonbury performance 5 years ago, and he was excellent (one of the best gigs that I have been to and an absolute Tour de Force), but if not in the mood, he can be dire. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2014-06-29 1:08 PM

What I admire about pop fans is the fact that they seem to be able to understand what the groups are singing about. ;-)

yeah but the fans now the lyrics backwards...

they do show other stuff from other stages. it is on 3 channels after all, BBC2/3/4. really thought those four south american DJ's/dancers (cant remember their name) hilarious......real characters :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Barryd999 - 2014-06-29 1:58 PM

Yes but all they show is music. There are 101 different things going on at Glasto. Not just music.

I think it would be entertaining enough just to send a camera crew around the festival. Talk to the festival goers etc.

your right..they used to do far more of that in other years, all the alternative characters the funniest part to be honest..shame really

JudgeMental - 2014-06-29 2:18 PM

Yes but all they show is music. There are 101 different things going on at Glasto. Not just music.

I think it would be entertaining enough just to send a camera crew around the festival. Talk to the festival goers etc.

your right..they used to do far more of that in other years, all the alternative characters the funniest part to be honest..shame really

Used to meet some right nutters years ago. Some of them made me look normal.

One year we met some blokes who were Warlocks or White witches or something like that drinking scrumpy out of WWII shells. Probably accountants from Basingstoke or something.

There used to be a Travellers field down a lane about quarter of a mile from the main festival area. That kicked off on the Wednesday and went on for about a week. The stage was a flat bed truck and it was like a scene out of a Mad Max movie. I saw Devo and Hawkwind there though. I think it was banned in the early 90's though.

Guest JudgeMental
Barryd999 - 2014-06-29 2:25 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-06-29 2:18 PM

Used to meet some right nutters years ago. Some of them made me look normal.

One year we met some blokes who were Warlocks or White witches or something like that drinking scrumpy out of WWII shells. Probably accountants from Basingstoke or something.

There used to be a Travellers field down a lane about quarter of a mile from the main festival area. That kicked off on the Wednesday and went on for about a week. The stage was a flat bed truck and it was like a scene out of a Mad Max movie. I saw Devo and Hawkwind there though. I think it was banned in the early 90's though.

Tab of acid and a hawkwind gig, Ah..those were the days! Usually followed with a lights on police raid! :D

''Tab of acid and a hawkwind gig, Ah..those were the days! Usually followed with a lights on police raid! :D'

Just as an aside re. Hawkwind. Two original members, Robert Calvert and Dave Brock have reformed as Hawklords and are appearing in Chester on Oct 22nd.

JudgeMental - 2014-06-29 3:11 PM

]

Tab of acid and a hawkwind gig, Ah..those were the days! Usually followed with a lights on police raid! :D

Saw Hawkwind 1971, Amethyst club Preston. During the day it was The Hibernian (an irish drinking club) but the student types (me included) had a blues night when it transformed into the Amethyst.

Acid...who the fec is acid......nothing stronger than a few puffs of mary wanna make those eyes at me!

Severe coughing fit put me off bob hope forever.

It'll soon be over, then back to vanning!

regards

Allen

Barryd999 - 2014-06-29 12:32 PM

I really enjoyed the coverage last night but I do wish they would show some of the other stuff going on in the other fields and tents. It really is a big city and probably warrents an entire program about the other stuff going on not just the music.

I bet you do too. :D

Been to Glastonbury Festival 5 times,lucky enough to work there for 2 of them,litter picking sounds a rubbish job(lol),but we had a great time and you certainly find some strange things,for instance enough beer to have 3 or 4 cans every evening,and some sort of mixed herbs in a baggy! Everything each team finds is shared out amongst that team and food was provided by the festival,plus the ID card gave you discounts at the food stalls.Great all round and you can still catch the bands

Oh and saw hawkwind and another brilliant band who's name escapes me on the travellers field one year aswell,had a walk about and looked at some amazing bus and truck conversions even looked in a few that were very well converted,didnt see many tax discs tbough-------- (lol)

Archived