Off To France Soon - Last Minute Tips?

Gravemaurice

We are off to France in two weeks - our first overseas jaunt in the van.

I started to prepare a while ago but it seemed so far away and trying to pre-plan our route seemed a head twister.

We intend to travel down to the Greonoble stage of Le Tour, most of those five days are sorted, then have five days to wind our way back to Calais with none of that planned out

We have two nights booked on a site near Masevaux but otherwise hope to use Aires or stumble on a municipal site.

Any last minute advice or tips before we get ready to go?

I always try to avoid buying fuel on a Sunday over there.

It's O.K. ( but more expensive ) on the motorways but can be a bit hit and miss elsewhere.

I don't know if you've driven on the other side of the road before, if not, just take your time at first and you'll find it comes easily.

Have a good trip.

;-)

Have the numbers for breakdown and insurance handy (see my other thread)

A sanef toll tag saves a lot of hassle, especially if the person paying can't reach the toll booth easily.

Have a phrase book with technical terms in it (eg brakes, tyres, spanner, fan belt)

Just go with the flow and don't worry where you are going to spend the night. Something always turns up.

.... come to think of it - don't expect to do any shopping between 12 noon and 2 pm on any day of the week as most of France seems to shut down between those hours -

although a lot of shops do stay open til 7 pm.

;-)

Guest Had Enough

Our most valuable assets are the ACSI sites' book, the Caravan Club Europe book, which lists loads of sites including many municipals, and the aires book for when we're looking for a one night stand - if you know what I mean!

You should have no problem just rolling up to a site. They don't get full until mid-July and even then we've never had a problem.

Keep a separate purse handy with 1eur pieces and 50cents for use on Aires water/electric machines. Dont forget to give way to THE LEFT on roundabouts and have your passenger help with using left mirror when joining motorways indicate in good time they are very good at moving over. A Sat Nav is essential bit of kit for us I would hate to be without it.

Enjoy your trip :-D we have just returned from a 6 week jaunt and I wish we could go back next week.

maggyd - 2014-06-29 10:12 PM

Keep a separate purse handy with 1eur pieces and 50cents for use on Aires water/electric machines. Dont forget to give way to THE LEFT on roundabouts and have your passenger help with using left mirror when joining motorways indicate in good time they are very good at moving over. A Sat Nav is essential bit of kit for us I would hate to be without it.

Enjoy your trip :-D we have just returned from a 6 week jaunt and I wish we could go back next week.

We found that some bornes now only take a 2 Euro coin!

At particular risk of getting it wrong are some roundabouts where you approach from a weird angle and/or the roundabout has no arrows or road markings, pulling out from a lay by or garage and forgetting which side of the road to be on, staggered road junctions, car park exits and any unmarked road junction. It gets easier with practise but an observant passenger can be a great aide memoir!

Brian Kirby - 2014-06-30 12:20 AM
Gravemaurice - 2014-06-29 7:19 PM..................................Any last minute advice or tips before we get ready to go?
YES, DRIVE ON THE RIGHT! :-D
Keep to the speed limits and always Stop at a Stop sign.

Guest JudgeMental
was in last weekend Sunday times that french police really coming down hard on speeding and using a lot of sneaky hidden mobile detectors..On the spot fines, plus if your going to fast its court. I know this really only applies to cars as we are in general a sensible bunch, but its easy to miss speed changes on unfamiliar roads and they revel in this!

Wasn't Me - 2014-06-30 11:17 AM

Hi can someone please direct me to somewhere that lists the speed limits for French roads and if they are any different for a m/h?

We are under 3.5 tonnes

Thanks in advance

Sorry but if you really need to ask about this then I have to wonder about your level of preparation?

Anything you need to know like headlight beam adapters, speed limits, French law and road rules, simply Google it - try Googling 'French speed limits' just for starters and then 'legal requirements for driving in France' for another.

Gravemaurice - 2014-06-29 7:19 PM

We are off to France in two weeks - our first overseas jaunt in the van.

Any last minute advice or tips before we get ready to go?

Hi;

We've just got back from our latest trip; Scandinavia; and for the first time we had trouble accessing the Electric Hook-up on several sites.

We only had 25M of cable. Can't remember how things were on our last France trip, but in future we'll take at least another 25M of cable. Better safe than sorry,

regards

alan b

Hi Tracker, don't trust google to be accurate, even less Wikipedia. Any joker can alter an entry even the Leveson Enquiry was fooled by a spoof entry.

This site, in contrast, is populated by knowledgeable, experienced and courteous motorhomers.

Isn't it?

Wasn't Me - 2014-06-30 11:17 AM

Hi can someone please direct me to somewhere that lists the speed limits for French roads and if they are any different for a m/h?

We are under 3.5 tonnes

Thanks in advance

Motorhome under 3.5 tonnes same limits as cars. All limits (except for built-up areas, see note 1) are indicated by the familiar speed limit signs, albeit in kph. 90kph on normal two lane roads unless otherwise indicated. 110kph on dual carriageways (but see note 2) and most non-toll autoroutes, 130kph on most toll autoroutes.

Lower limits may also be indicated for wet, icy, or foggy conditions. Some judgement will be required as to when these conditions are deemed to obtain. Take your cue from other drivers.

If oncoming traffic is flashing headlamps at you, it is almost certain there will be a police speed trap (possibly hidden) somewhere not too far ahead. Take note!

Most French drivers drive to the limit, and become a little impatient following vehicles that are driven significantly slower. If someone catches you up they are highly likely to overtake, and highly unlikely to just follow you. If you catch a slow moving vehicle its driver is likely to expect you to overtake. Overtaking is not, generally, seen as a competitive sport by the French! My understanding (unchecked) is that the Code de la Route enshrines the right to overtake without impediment.

Note 1. On approach to a town/village there will be its nameboard. This signifies the beginning of the mandatory 50kph speed limit; there will not be a 50kph sign. In some cases, with small settlements, this limit may only apply over a few hundred metres. Don't be tempted to ignore these, the French police do not make their presence obvious!

If there is also a 70kph sign then the limit through the built-up area (unless signed otherwise) is 70kph. However, side roads will almost invariably be limited to 50kph. Be aware that if a 70 kph sign significantly precedes the town name board, it is there to slow approaching traffic in anticipation of the 50kph limit, and the 50kph limit will still apply from the nameboard on.

The 50kph limit ends at the end of the built-up area, indicated by the town name board with a single diagonal red line through it. This may co-incide with a 70 kph limit sign, imposing that limit for a short distance before the 90kph limit is signed.

Be alert to the increasingly popular 30kph limits in the centres of even quite small villages. Be aware that some urban speed humps have a profile similar to the north face of the Eiger! Treat with caution.

Note 2. Where a two lane road becomes dual carriageway there may, or may not, be a 110kph sign. If in doubt stick to 90. The rule on dual carriageways is that 110 kph only applies where the two lanes are physically separated by a central reservation - usually also with central crash barrier/s. Dual carriageways merely designated by road paint are not eligible for 110kph. Similarly, three lane roads with permitted overtaking in alternate directions are not subject to 110kph where overtaking is indicated.

As said above, a "STOP" sign means stop. Your wheels must actually stop turning to comply. You will note that the French rigourously stick to this. OTOH, the triangular "give way" sign (Cedez le passage) does not require you to stop.

General rule: do not cross solid white lines, even single ones, and never cross double solid white lines. To pass tractors etc it is common to cross a single white line, but it is a calculated risk, and if anything goes wrong you will automatically be in the wrong. If you are spotted crossing a double white line under any other than exceptionsl circumstances (e.g. broken down vehicle) you will be in deep doo-doo!

All that said, driving in France is, generally, a doddle, because most roads (relative to the UK) carry only light traffic, and many carry almost no traffic at all, just the odd vehicle.

Final point: roundabouts. Having been late adopters, the French now have roundabouts all over the place, most seeming to be used as a traffic calming measure rather than to ease the flow of traffic. They almost invariably have a central feature (some quite spectacular) designed to stop you seeing what is approaching from other directions. There have been three signalling conventions taught over the years, and many older drivers have never had any training on how/when to signal. The result, generally, is chaos, with various drivers applying various signals, or none, on approach and/or when leaving! Just be cautious, and don't assume that the driver indicating right turn as they approach in the outside "lane" will turn right. Some just keep the indicator going until they leave the roundabout at whatever exit. Also be aware that the French seldom use the inside lane, even if they are effectively turning left, because they were taught that this lane is reserved for the "cut in" of articulated truck semi-trailers. In northern France, and in urban areas, the same signalling logic as in UK is more generally, but not invariably, applied. Further south, and in more rural areas, anything goes. Just take your time, and keep your sense of humour to the fore. It's fun, really - honest! :-)

TomTom* satnags can be set to give you a speed warning when approaching the limits, usually right 80% of the time so care is still needed.

TomTom's* speed indicator is also more accurate than most speedos and of course you can calibrate in KPH.

*Most sat navs will also fuction the same.

Guest JudgeMental

yes sat navs have it, mine certainly do but you just need to keep you eyes open..

Relax!..you will have a great time :-D

First thing to remember is France is a great country to visit, particularly in a motorhome, so you will enjoy it and want to return as soon as you can! Regarding your overnight stops up and down to your destination then suggest you have a look at a couple of web sites, campingcarinfos.com, and i-campingcar.com, which provide comprehensive listing of Aires, often with picture and comments, so you can try before you buy so to speak. (Although in French are fairly easy to follow and gives you chance to brush up the old language skills before you depart).

Archived