is this the most expensive site in Europe

Cliffy

We are at Camping Oasa Mira in Draqe, Croatia, which is a really good site at 18 Euros per night with ACSCI so we thought we would stop a few extra days and pay the full price as the ACSI period was over until we found out they wanted 51 Euros plus tax per night.

In a country where a coffee cost the equivalent of 75p and a room for two with sea view is only 40 Euros per night, this is robbery or am I used to paying off peak rates and other sites charge scandalous prices in high season.

Guest JudgeMental
they only have a short period of 2 months during school holidays July/August to make the most money as this when demand high...its natural. Site we use in Lake Garda cost the same, and worth every penny what do you expect when camping in the Italian equivalent of Beverly hills. I far more resent CC site pricing, where your in the middle of nowhere with bugger all facilities! *-)

I'm gobsmacked by those prices, I thought the most expensice campsites would be under 40€ per night!

MInd you we stick to low season and use Aires quite a lot - and our favourite site (the Municpal at Chateaudun) is under 11€ per night in low season, including a 10 amp hook up. No swimming poolor clubhouse mind, but the dog prefers swimming in the river anyway.

I don't think you can compare special deals off peak with premium period prices in Campsites, any more than for Hotels and Ferry/air costs.

We were at a site on the Med a couple of weeks ago paying €16 using ACSI against the then standard cost of €30 pn, and at the end of that week no more ACSI, and cost went up to €37pn.

You have to consider the often quite(just over short periods some of the sites on the continent are open, and on the whole even at peak prices still provide far lower costs then Uk sites.

In addition when we drove down though France in early June we found Gazole at €1.23 per litre,(just over £1.00 at present rates) which when filling the tank in a motorhome makes a considerable price reduction to the almost £1.40 per litre we were paying...I know which I would rather have....

However if you do have to travel at peak times (and they vary country by country!) then a premium will always be expected.

My vote for the most expensive site is rip off La Bien Assise just south of Calais.

30 Euros a night at the moment and getting dearer in the holidays.

OK it's a Castels site and it has a pool - and I guess most important for some is that it's convienient for Calais if you don't want to cram into the quayside aire (and pay for it).

We met friends there for one night only and it took me two G&T's to get over the price!

Plus their ACSI cut off date is 20th June and it doesn't restart until 4th September. Money grubbers!

IMO the restaurant has got worse over the last couple of years. We don't eat there any more.

Anyway - our next overnight campsite pitch cost 11 Euros and we got full services plus a sea view - sanity restored!

JudgeMental - 2014-06-30 9:34 AM

they only have a short period of 2 months during school holidays July/August to make the most money as this when demand high...its natural. Site we use in Lake Garda cost the same, and worth every penny what do you expect when camping in the Italian equivalent of Beverly hills. I far more resent CC site pricing, where your in the middle of nowhere with bugger all facilities! *-)

depends on what you call 'facilities' to me, plenty of 'Pitch Room', 16amp Electric hookup, Decent dog walk, Hard standing, and 'Always' very clean Showers and Loos, plus a motorhome service point, are all I need. (And the Centre of Bristol is hardly in the 'middle of nowhere' , which is where i am typing this from at the moment,).

The Swimming Pools, Childrens amusement arcades and Donkey rides I can do without, and would begrudge paying extra for.

Ray PS. Sadly the 'Baltic Wharf' CC site is closing at the end of this year, the Council want the site for a new School.

Guest JudgeMental
donkey rides?..sounds like you've never been on a decent site. if you consider CC sites worth the money.....knock yourself out.

You live and learn(hopefully) just back from France,before we went I thought,let's choose a nice place,book it,and stay a week,on web I chose camping lie d' offard, Saumer,saw special prices for campers,7nights for Price 6 booked,paid dep.6 weeks ago,for prestige pitch,great till I realised on arrival that English couple on next pitch,didn't book,had Hobby 6 wheeler plus 2alsations and only paid E19.00 per night,our special,low price prebooked pitch cost us E24.24 per night! No,I will never learn!

peacock312 - 2014-07-01 3:27 PM

... booked, paid dep.6 weeks ago,for prestige pitch,great till I realised on arrival that English couple on next pitch,didn't book,had Hobby 6 wheeler plus 2alsations and only paid E19.00 per night,our special,low price prebooked pitch cost us E24.24 per night!..

That'd pee me right off!...What did the 'site have to say?....:-S

I did complain,but they simply were not interested,I have filled satisfaction report since back with full complaint but don't expect a reply,oh and the head waiter in restaurant overcharged on two occasions for drinks we never had,I got me money back ,over 12Euros,not a lot,but it's my money.

You live and learn(hopefully) just back from France,before we went I thought,let's choose a nice place,book it,and stay a week,on web I chose camping lie d' offard, Saumer,saw special prices for campers,7nights for Price 6 booked,paid dep.6 weeks ago,for prestige pitch,great till I realised on arrival that English couple on next pitch,didn't book,had Hobby 6 wheeler plus 2alsations and only paid E19.00 per night,our special,low price prebooked pitch cost us E24.24 per night! No,I will never learn!

There is usually a 'fee' for booking on these sites, that's in addition to the site fess themselves. Our experience over 25 years on many sites in France from May - October is that unless you want ot be by the sea inMid July/August there is no need to book for a motorhome.

pepe63 - 2014-07-01 3:39 PM

... booked, paid dep.6 weeks ago,for prestige pitch,great till I realised on arrival that English couple on next pitch,didn't book,had Hobby 6 wheeler plus 2alsations and only paid E19.00 per night,our special,low price prebooked pitch cost us E24.24 per night!..

That'd pee me right off!...What did the 'site have to say?....:-S

.........bof......... ?

;-)

JudgeMental - 2014-06-30 9:34 AM

Must say agree with this. We were paying over £30 a night in Italy, Switzerland and Scandinavia over 10 years ago but they were in places we wanted to visit and facilities such as site restaurant were often excellant, as was nearness to place we wanted to visit. Would not however be happy to pay the eye watering amounts some are quoting for sites not near to top class visitor attractions, capital cities etc. Correct also to point out that sites make most of there money in a couple of peak months, and just wonder how long some will think it worthwhile to stay open in off peak times charging what must soon be uneconomic rates.

Think might head back to Itallian lakes sometime next year, and there will be heading for sites know will be expensive but setting makes worth it, coupled with fact that although enthuse about French Aires have no interest in staying on the Italian Sostas.

We have just struck lucky stopped for a overnight at an ACSI site, Camping Oberdrauberg in Karten, Austria just over the Italian border. Although out of the ACSI period they have a special offer of 15.5 Euro per night, fantastic mountain setting, free swimming pool fantastic showers, free Wifi on pitch.

One night is going to turn in to three. A family run site who also provide hot food at low prices, it shows what can be done for at a reasonable cost. 

Evening all,

Last Tuesday night we spent on the aire at Le Touquet which cost 13 euros +cost of water at " euros and limited elec @ 2 euros waste facilitieswere free. Two night ealier was spent on a acsi campsite with 5 swimming pools, shop ,fronting the sea and all toilet and washing facilities 14 euros.

norm

A couple of weeks ago we stopped for 5 nights at les Huches just outside Chamonix all facilities including shower and toilet  free BBQ with fantastic views all for free . O sorry forgot to mention it was at my son's chalet. 

goldi - 2014-07-01 10:38 PM

Evening all,

Last Tuesday night we spent on the aire at Le Touquet which cost 13 euros +cost of water at " euros and limited elec @ 2 euros waste facilitieswere free. Two night ealier was spent on a acsi campsite with 5 swimming pools, shop ,fronting the sea and all toilet and washing facilities 14 euros.

norm

Yes it's obvious that Le Touquet really don't want those nasty white motorhomes - low class wheeled trash to the posh residents. The Hipperdrome aire is cheaper and much larger but no sea views. We recently parked for free (legally) by the sports stadium and walked in for lunch then went to an ACSI site with all usual facilities for 13 Euros. Why bother with a crowded no facility aire where your neighbour is within handshaking distance??

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2014-07-02 8:37 AM

Hmmm..so with all this talk of "fees" for booking onto sites and "paying over £30 a night..over ten years ago", where are the customary howls of "Rip off!"?....

or is it only a Rip Off, when it's this side of the channel...? ;-)

difference being, for your £30 + here you get very little in comparison!

A businessman will charge what the market will stand and he will not be above exploiting captive markets, like people who wanted the security of booking in advance.

And I suppose there is a market for unusually expensive sites which offer a special location or an associated special event (like camping on the NEC car parks at Show Time or near an F1 Circuit at Race Time. Mere special facilities don;t seem likely to have the same pull so how a campsite which isn't near some special attraction and merely relies on its own pull factors can survive by charging spectacularly more defeats me..

Matrix Meanderer - 2014-07-01 9:33 AM

My vote for the most expensive site is rip off La Bien Assise just south of Calais.

30 Euros a night at the moment and getting dearer in the holidays.

OK it's a Castels site and it has a pool - and I guess most important for some is that it's convienient for Calais if you don't want to cram into the quayside aire (and pay for it).

We met friends there for one night only and it took me two G&T's to get over the price!

Plus their ACSI cut off date is 20th June and it doesn't restart until 4th September. Money grubbers!

IMO the restaurant has got worse over the last couple of years. We don't eat there any more. ................

We were there last week for one night. It is reasonable value at the ACSI rate though not, IMO, particularly good value at €30, but I don't see how that makes it a rip-off. Just not particularly good value. But, they clearly know their market, as it was nearly full mid-week with the extension area in full use. Many left after one night, it is a vary popular transit site, but I would say the majority did not, and the great majority of "stayers" were UK registered vehicles, with a high proportion of trailer cravans. Netherlanders were the second most prevalent, but quite some way behind.

So, if folk are happy to pay the price asked, and a lot of people plainly are, they presumably think it fair value. Having tried several other sites in that area over the years, it is still the best in the area by quite a margin. Perhaps that explains its success: no equivalent competition. It is well maintained, has quite good facilities, and is handy.

Haven't used the restaurant, but it seems to get generally good reviews - albeit a few are less complementary - and was busy when we were there.

But, as stated above, it is a long way from being the most expensive site in Europe, or France, or even Spain for that matter.

Matrix Meanderer - 2014-07-02 4:39 PM

Evening all,

norm

Yes it's obvious that Le Touquet really don't want those nasty white motorhomes - low class wheeled trash to the posh residents. The Hipperdrome aire is cheaper and much larger but no sea views. We recently parked for free (legally) by the sports stadium and walked in for lunch then went to an ACSI site with all usual facilities for 13 Euros. Why bother with a crowded no facility aire where your neighbour is within handshaking distance??

Yes on a like for like facilities basis the aire at Le Touquet appears poor value, and as pointed out is crowded with vans parked close. Why then would any sane person stay there? Well it is within walking distance, or in summer season free bus distance, of beach, restaurants, shops etc of the upmarket resort of Le Touquet which for all the 5 swimming pools the site mentioned is not. Yes you can park up, walk in and have lunch but not have a nice glass of rose` with it and then drive to a site. So maybe staying on the aire is not so crazy after all.

robertandjean - 2014-07-03 8:46 PM

Matrix Meanderer - 2014-07-02 4:39 PM

Evening all,

norm

Yes on a like for like facilities basis the aire at Le Touquet appears poor value, and as pointed out is crowded with vans parked close. Why then would any sane person stay there? Well it is within walking distance, or in summer season free bus distance, of beach, restaurants, shops etc of the upmarket resort of Le Touquet which for all the 5 swimming pools the site mentioned is not. Yes you can park up, walk in and have lunch but not have a nice glass of rose` with it and then drive to a site. So maybe staying on the aire is not so crazy after all.

If the Aire in question is the one at the horse centre then I guess there must have been many improvements since I was last there. At one time it was free and then a few euros when anyone bothered to collect the money. I now stay on the airport car park which was free when I last used it a few years ago.

Archived