is this the most expensive site in Europe

Cliffy

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-07-03 7:33 PM

Matrix Meanderer - 2014-07-01 9:33 AM

My vote for the most expensive site is rip off La Bien Assise just south of Calais.

30 Euros a night at the moment and getting dearer in the holidays.

OK it's a Castels site and it has a pool - and I guess most important for some is that it's convienient for Calais if you don't want to cram into the quayside aire (and pay for it).

We met friends there for one night only and it took me two G&T's to get over the price!

Plus their ACSI cut off date is 20th June and it doesn't restart until 4th September. Money grubbers!

IMO the restaurant has got worse over the last couple of years. We don't eat there any more. ................

We were there last week for one night. It is reasonable value at the ACSI rate though not, IMO, particularly good value at €30, but I don't see how that makes it a rip-off. Just not particularly good value. But, they clearly know their market, as it was nearly full mid-week with the extension area in full use. Many left after one night, it is a vary popular transit site, but I would say the majority did not, and the great majority of "stayers" were UK registered vehicles, with a high proportion of trailer cravans. Netherlanders were the second most prevalent, but quite some way behind.

So, if folk are happy to pay the price asked, and a lot of people plainly are, they presumably think it fair value. Having tried several other sites in that area over the years, it is still the best in the area by quite a margin. Perhaps that explains its success: no equivalent competition. It is well maintained, has quite good facilities, and is handy.

Haven't used the restaurant, but it seems to get generally good reviews - albeit a few are less complementary - and was busy when we were there.

But, as stated above, it is a long way from being the most expensive site in Europe, or France, or even Spain for that matter.

Our favoured stop just before the chunnel is at Equihen Plage ;-)...................but I'm quite happy by the sewage works.............and if you leave before 9am then you'll save yourself 5€ :D...............

Archived