Mad conversion idea

SimonH

Having just bought a Renault Grand Espace (we needed 6 full size seats and a VW Caravelle was just way too expensive) I'm thinking it'd make a good day van. Kind of a half way house between an MPV and camper.

With the rear seats removed it's certainly big enough for a double bed. I now just need to work out if I can build removable kit to fit into the existing seat runners.

These are the kinds of daft things you think of with too much time available :)

car_photo_298930.jpg.e092fb3547aa60fcdaa22ba6659b6a40.jpg

Not mad at all and sounds like an excellent project to me!

Maybe try looking at the various Mazda Bongo etc converters for ideas as they too are a 'compact' vehicle?

People like O'Learys have a wide range of van fittings etc and there are lots of dealers not so far from Bourne for you to visit and have a gander for inspiration.

Good luck and please keep us up to date with developments.

SimonH - 2014-07-01 9:44 AMThanks for the replies and links, I'll be spending a few office hours researching today :)I'd already contacted the Swiss Room Box people but unless I can get myself over to Geneva they don't have anything to look at. It's pricey but looks well thought out.I'll let you know how it goes

The nearest dealer is in Belgium so no excuse for a winter holiday! Swiss box dealers

Hi Simon..

I'd agree with Tracker, it'd be worth checking out some Mazda Bongo type sites...

For ideas,take a look at the pinned "Show us yer insides .." thread( under the "Campervan conversions in Bongos" section),on the Bongo Fury! forum...

(..they've got examples of "proper" conversions costing thousands , through to simple homemade stuff, based on Ikea type cupboards). http://www.bongofury.co.uk/

I've knocked up a very basic, wooden slide out and fully removable bed set-up in our Hiace "camping-van" and when used along with our existing camping kit(stored under the bed in a couple of sturdy stackable plastic crates), along with a tarp or pop up awning, it makes a very usable "weekender"/festival vehicle..

(We've actually used it more than we had originally envisaged, so much so that we've ended up getting rid of the MH).

I'm keeping an eye out for used seats so that I can use the runner brackets. A lot of the existing conversions I've seen are OK but there is nothing specific to the Espace so it would be a bit of a compromise. Being so tight for space anyway I don't want to waste any.

However they have given me a few ideas so it should be easy enough to get something made to measure for the espace.

Cheers for the input so far :)

Archived