Damp underside

Max Speed

Greetings all,On changing the spare wheel on our 2003 Burstner T625 Harmony I noticed a patch of underfloor to the rear nearside in front of the bumper about 75 mm wide running for around 800mm forward, showing delamination of the ply under skin and also very wet ,on further examination the timber side rails are rotten. I have now stripped out all the bad bits and is now drying out using a hot air blower.

I am going to use "West Epoxy" and colloidal filler (structural boat building stuff) to fill the voids,and then level off with epoxy resin and glass cloth , and finally coat with under seal.

Has any one had any similar problems? I have had a good look at all the sealed joints above and all looks OK ,looks like a check round all over the underside to check on any further problems

Guest pelmetman

I'd be inclined to turn the hose on it, one side at a time to ensure there are no leaks.................Then pour water down the sinks and shower plug holes ;-)................

Hi Max'...

At least it sounds like you've managed to get on top of it...;-)

I'm not familiar with your model of vehicle..but do you reckon it's "just" down to road spray/crud, that has caused it to delaminate.

..or is there a chance that it's been making it's way from higher up?...maybe down the panel face(.or via any internal pipework?)

I fitted decent sized mud flaps(homemade from rubber car mats) to the rear wheels of our last two MHs...as I wasn't comfortable with road spray, gravel, mud etc, constantly getting fired at the underside of the ply floor(..and at any wires and pipes, clipped to it)..

Sorry Dave,I crossed your post :$

Cheers both for your comments,

I fitted truck sized rear mud flaps a few years ago to try and keep the underside protected, also I checked all the inside basin & shower fittings and all seems OK, I also checked the joints to the side & rear panel above where the damp was and again all seems OK, have now also re applied "Sikaflex" to poss suspect joints. Thought it might have seeped from the toilet cassette compartment,but again all seems OK?

Hope to repair the damage over the weekend ,weather permitting up here in the Scottish highlands?

Looking foreward to a very large G&T

• 2 weeks later...

Archived