Reject van, where do we go from here?

ColinT

Called Swift and had a chat with someone in their "escalations department"? and although she apologized for what we have put up with over the last 12 months seemed quite curt and may not be able to help. Swift have a dealer network and marquis sold me my van so they are responsible for warranty repairs. Swift only have a small workshop so it seems it can't go there. She said that they will try and find another dealer to take on our repairs but could not promise to find one!

When I went to our van Wednesday I pressed the remote key fob to open the habitation door and although the door unlocked the step didn't come out. I went into the van without using the step did what I needed to do then locked the van. I then tried the unlock again and this time the step came out. Is this yet ANOTHER fault developing???

When checking over the van the other day I also notice the two rear corner shelves coming away from the side of the van, now this has only done 3000 miles!!! It looks if left they will pull two holes in the side wall of the van, but at least this is a new fault!!!

Colin

006a.jpg.47da2320b7c558cfc103b8cac225c102.jpg

005a.jpg.968249f156ff2cfebe383c3c5e1df16b.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ColinT - 2014-08-16 2:34 PM

Called Swift and had a chat with someone in their "escalations department"?

When checking over the van the other day I also notice the two rear corner shelves coming away from the side of the van, now this has only done 3000 miles!!! It looks if left they will pull two holes in the side wall of the van, but at least this is a new fault!!!

Colin

When a complaint cannot be resolved by the normal customer service people, it is "escalated" up the line. It's a bit worrying that Swift feel they need to have a separate department for that!

Well, we got our van back last Monday, haven't been away yet but have gone in and out of the van approximately 12 times through the habitation door. I have just been to the van and opened the habitation door and the door stay is loose yet again. If left another few uses it will fall off. This is the 5th time it has come loose and would be the 3rd time it comes of if I miss tightening it up!! A new habitation door has been fitted so I assume a new stay? I have contacted Swift and they can't tell me if a new stay has been fitted or not. Surely there must be something else wrong with the fitting on the van for this to keep coming loose. 5 times in 12 months, we haven't been away in the van more than about 15 days altogether because it'e been with the dealer. Is this just another bit of quality work by marquis. What's going on hear, anyone??

Oh I am now posting on the Swift site but haven't had any answers yet. Swift will try and find another dealer for me!

Colin

Went out for a short trip in van this morning and noticed this (picture) as I was waiting at a junction. It is the liner above "grab handle" on drivers side. As you may see the liner is creased up but the marks just below handle, hardly visible on phone, are of yet again more dirty fingerprints!! Just unbelievable, I don't know why the liner would have had to be removed for the work marquis have tried to do?

I am presuming that I will have to put all this right myself as I cant expect another dealer to clean up after marquis's failed attempts. All this is after we had our Free valet from marquis!! HaHa If it wasn't true it would be so funny!

Positive news Swift are going to arrange for a rep. from Miriad, the Hab. door supplier to call and sort out the problems with the door stay keep coming loose. I'll let you know if it works.

Colin

009a.jpg.6561b5c8e0a2e1770d98b3b6dd9bb5a7.jpg

009a.jpg.992ccaba6290c6904c1f505200164422.jpg

010a.jpg.dfad1b6ea883d4406f8215b789b507c8.jpg

Just had 4 days away in the van and the only thing we found loose was the trim around the microwave. marquis did change the microwave, (because the glass tray was missing!!!) yes changed the whole microwave, and this trim would have had to be removed to do that. There are 4 pieces of sellotape, one on each corner of the microwave but I'm sure this is not what is supposed to hold the trim on. Anyone know?

What a nice drive the van is, still haven't done many miles but it does seem to go well. One thing I haven't managed to get used to is the "one touch" indicators, and find that if I'm trying to dip the lights 50% of the time I put the indicator on, this then flashes for the 5 or 6 times. Is there a way of switching that function off or will I get used to it?

Colin

Having followed this post from the start I really think you have some sort of personality disorder and motorhome dealers across the country must shudder at your presence. Having bought a second hand (pre-registered is second hand) Motor home you have pursued negligible and imaginary faults ad nauseum in some sort of personal vendetta.

( this is an attempt to bring some controversy back to the forum as recent posters have complained it is getting to sedate)

Well, not according to Swift, we are the first owner, and when the van had to go into Fiat for a recall they also said we were the first owner, so perhaps your "facts" are incorrect?

Most of these faults I would not not accept on a second hand van either, but obviously your standards are a lot lower than mine!

I would suggest that next time you hover you mouse button over my posts you don't click but move on to another post to submit your opinions there, because I'm not interested in them!!

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Had another 5 days away and nothing fell off, well only the door stay again but we knew about that. It must have come out as the door shut or as travelling because we couldn't open the door! Have noticed another couple of small problems though, one of the cupboard doors doesn't fit properly and one of the window catches doesn't close as it should. We were approached by two couples asking how the van was? both had problems with their vans one having traded it back to the dealer that sold it to them and bought another van from them?? They bought an Autotrail which they were very happy with. The other couple battled on to get everything fixed.

Swift have been in touch and we are trying to find another dealer with a proper workshop.

Miriad are coming to fix the door stay. He said it's an easy fix, a bit of copper grease on the screw bush and some thread-lock on the screw thread, why didn't the dealer do this 12 months ago?? We'll see if it all gets fixed before anything else goes wrong.

Colin

Hi Colin...

Nothing fell off!? Result! (lol)

Putting the seemingly poor service you've received from your dealer aside, I think you do need to keep hold of the fact that, build wise, motorhomes are relatively low tech', low volume vehicles, that are usually stuck,/screwed/nailed together as quickly and cheaply as possible and using the lightest(cheapest?) components the manufacturer can get away with.

So things will rattle,wind will whistle over roof vents, fixings will occasionally work loose and components will occasionally fail..

I agree that 45k is A LOT of money(in my book it is anyway) but that doesn't mean you're going to get 45k car levels of build or design quality.

(..and unfortunately you've spent your 45K on a Swift, who, judging by forum chatter, as far as build quality goes, only aspire to be "average" on a good day...Sorry....)

That aside, to the impartial observer(ie us readers) it is hard to judge whether your van is really a rough 'un ..or whether it's just that the poor service you received from the dealer has now left you overly critical...?

I'd guess it's probably a bit of both... ;-)

I reckon it's a safe bet that the vast majority of MH owners have at one time or other chosen to fix something themselves(eg retighten/replace some fixings, re-glue some trim, eradicate a rattle etc..), rather than take it back to the dealer and risk having it sitting there for weeks at a time...

I still find it incredible, after all this time(well over a year?) and with all this talk of Trading Standards, "Rejecting" and now BBC's "Watchdog", that you or Swift STILL have yet to sort out an alternative dealer... :-S

pepe63 - 2014-09-04 9:01 AM

Hi Colin...

Nothing fell off!? Result! (lol)

Putting the seemingly poor service you've received from your dealer aside, I think you do need to keep hold of the fact that, build wise, motorhomes are relatively low tech', low volume vehicles, that are usually stuck,/screwed/nailed together as quickly and cheaply as possible and using the lightest(cheapest?) components the manufacturer can get away with.

So things will rattle,wind will whistle over roof vents, fixings will occasionally work loose and components will occasionally fail..

I agree that 45k is A LOT of money(in my book it is anyway) but that doesn't mean you're going to get 45k car levels of build or design quality.

(..and unfortunately you've spent your 45K on a Swift, who, judging by forum chatter, as far as build quality goes, only aspire to be "average" on a good day...Sorry....)

That aside, to the impartial observer(ie us readers) it is hard to judge whether your van is really a rough 'un ..or whether it's just that the poor service you received from the dealer has now left you overly critical...?

I'd guess it's probably a bit of both... ;-)

I reckon it's a safe bet that the vast majority of MH owners have at one time or other chosen to fix something themselves(eg retighten/replace some fixings, re-glue some trim, eradicate a rattle etc..), rather than take it back to the dealer and risk having it sitting there for weeks at a time...

I still find it incredible, after all this time(well over a year?) and with all this talk of Trading Standards, "Rejecting" and now BBC's "Watchdog", that you or Swift STILL have yet to sort out an alternative dealer... :-S

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Pepi 63.

One thing that always has to be considered with a coachbuilt motorhome is expansion and contraction of the bodywork during hot weather, for example the internally fitted furniture can part company from the sidewalls and roof with screws being unable to cope. The sidewalls usually belly outwards. Anyone who owns one can hear the creaky noises when the weather is cooling down.

Archived