advice please about taps in a caravan

ColinP

I have an old caravan with the brown plastic mixer taps. All has been fine until one of the taps started making a noise after use. My pet caravan engineer told me that perhaps the washer has got some dirt in and may need replacing. To save money I am trying to do the job myself. I have removed the tap but cannot dismantle it any further. The micro switch wires are still attached as I cannot see how to get to them. Any replies would be very helpful.

Hi Colin, and welcome to the madhouse!

Any chance of posting a picture of your tap, or a makers name or model number, or a link to a replacement supplier if they are still available as it will be hard to identify them from your description?

It may be that your taps are sealed at manufacture and cannot be serviced but without knowing what they are it is impossible to tell?

Some taps to get at the gubbins you remove the handle and under that or maybe under a cover is a removable nut not too dis-similar to a domestic tap type set up.

What sort of noise is it and how long does the noise continue after turning off as I don't quite understand how a tap can make a noise when not in use other than maybe the contacts and valve in a built in pressure switch oscillating open and closed, or is it possible that the noise seems to come from the tap but maybe coming from the pump? What is the water flow like when on and do they turn off and on OK?

No doubt a real expert will be along shortly who will hopefully be better able to help by maybe knowing more than what I does on the subject!

Hi Tracker

thanks for your prompt reply. The noise sounds like a kettle when it starts to sing the water flow is very good and taps turn off and on okay. My local chap says that it is probably air being sucked back in through the tap and past the washer. Here is a link to the type of tap from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brown-Double-Caravan-Mixer-Tap-c-w-Microswitch-FREE-DELIVERY-/261521097562?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3ce3df435a

It is a long long while since I had these taps but I seem to recall that on some, or similar taps, you might be able to prise out the red and blue discs on top of the heads, remove a screw and get at the insides?

Have you asked your favourite engineer how it's done seeing as how 'twas he that suggested it!

On t'other hand for the sake of £21 is it really worth struggling with?

Hi thanks for your posts, I have just had another look at the taps and found that the tops will prise off and then I found a sort of plunger with a screw thread on it and at the other end 2 '0' rings one of which was slightly damaged and seems to have been what the trouble was. Many thanks for your time. Colin

So all you have to do now is find the right size O rings!

New ones may well be slightly different sizes to rectify and stretching and squashing that the years have imposed so don't worry if they look a bit different.

Glad to be of help, and thanks for the thanks!

Archived