Hobby Tag Axle.....what load will it carry

wints

Looking at swapping vans and was wondering if anyone had any info on what would be the usable payload of a hobby tag axle ?

I know they are 4500 kg gross wt, but would I be able to carry a scoot / bikes / tools etc ? Oh, and lots of wine / beer, and all her stuff as well ?

Previous van Hymer 614 was rated at 4000 kg, and was bang on that fully loaded.

I think the hobby is about 50 cm longer, and it looks very solid so that would be extra dead wt, maybe not leaving me with much margin.

I know I should take it to a weighbridge before purchase, but was hoping somebody has been there done that with a hobby tag axle.

regards

Allen

Theoretical weights are notoriously optimistic - generally from the converter's point of view.

If you know the theoretical unladen weight of your Hymer and deduct that from 4000 kg you might get an idea of what was added and carried by you.

Add that to the unladen weight of the Hobby plus all the extras fitted and that you may want to add or carry and if is less than 4500 kg it is maybe worth getting the Hobby weighed unladen to verify?

Extras very quickly add up - battery, gas bottles, spare wheel, tools, awning, solar panel etc can soon add 100 to 200 kg.

Tracker - 2014-07-09 3:42 PM

Theoretical weights are notoriously optimistic - generally from the converter's point of view.

I am not disagreeing with you Rich but it is not always the case, both our Hymer's have been 50kg under the brochure weight. :D

wints - 2014-07-09 3:05 PM

Looking at swapping vans and was wondering if anyone had any info on what would be the usable payload of a hobby tag axle ?

Which model (and year of manufacture) 3-axle Hobby are you interested in, as they've been made across a long period and in various sizes?

If you can live with ball-park figures, based on a selection of Hobby catalogues from 2005-2011 the gross weight was always 4500kg and the 'weight in travel-ready state' ranged from just-under 3700kg to just-over 3800kg depending on the particular model. The 'weight in travel-ready state' included allowances for fresh-water and gas, so is likely to be a realistic starting point from which to calculate usable payload. As Tracker says, heavy accessories (eg. awning, tow-bar) will erode that payload, as would the vehicle having a heavy motor option (eg. a 3.0litre motor rather than a standard 2.3litre).

I'm not aware of any complaints that Hobby errs on the optimistic side when it comes to quoting the 'weight in travel-ready state' datum and Hobby construction methods (in my view) are no more 'solid' than many other converters.

If you are considering carrying a scooter within a rear 'garage', I strongly suggest you check a) that it would fit inside a Hobby 3-axle's garage and b) that the garage has been designed to take the necessary weight.

If you want practical advice on Hobby weights, your best bet is likely to be the Owners Club

http://www.hobbyowners.org.uk/

Thanks Tracker, Lenny, Derek....Checked one out yesterday, and looking at another today.

Garage looks massive, couldn't see any weight restriction notices for the garage, and yes, I would be putting a scooter in there.

Never thought of the Hobby OC. Something to look at after I've mended the car port roof and before I view the 2nd hobby later today.

Lagers in the sun will have to wait.

thanks

Allen

Archived