Calais aire closure

ham

I Was on the beach side Aire last night there are 3 notices fixed to the lamp standards. The whole parking area from the Aire across the sea front of the restaurants and bars across the roads is closed from 14th JULY to 15th July. The next official sign advised the bottom half of the Aire is to close 17th July to 20th Aug. There is a large floating crane on the harbour wall and they appear to be excavating the harbour wall. One Dutch guy tried to explain that they are painting new lines on the surface but a French guy insisted that the lower half was shutting. Maybe they are shutting the lower Half but extending the Aire in front of the top half to the area behind the chippys.

July the 14th is Bastille Day and nobody in France works that day and July the 15th is Sober Up Day.

Could that have anything to do with the 1 day closure?

Is it just my PC that's going slow or is this site taking an age to load?

Apologies for the duplicate.

That's what we thought .However the lad that came around to collect the 7e . confirmed that there was going to be work done on the car parks and the camping car Aires closes from 15.00 on the 14th of July until late 15th July and the bottom part of camping car Aires would be closed until 20 Aug And pointed to the sign with tow away on it. But confirmed the yacht basin Aires would be still open. On the bottom part of the Aires the harbour wall is being removed and they Started work at 6:45am with diggers and trucks they could be rearranging the parking spaces to move vans away from the work zone as this is part of the construction work taking place on the now closed camp site

We were there last week and yes, it was noisy from 7.30 am when the repair work on the harbour wall started. My understanding was that the whole beachfront aire was due to close within the next 18 months in order to build a new conference centre with its associated tarting up of the area. They will not want a load of motorhomes parking and empting their waste detracting from their hoped for sophisticated arena and clientele! Lets hope the developers do not cast their eyes on the yacht basin as well - in Britain it would have been long since scooped up for executive flats. There may be plans for a new aire somewhere but without spending hours looking through Calais town council minutes I have nothing definite.

There is another aire at Calais on sloping ground, some cobbles.  if you are heading off to the ferry from the main aire go over the roundabout and go on a bit further and it is just before the mini roundabout near high buildings.  

I've tried looking on google earth but google isn't opening properly, sorry

Archived