Peugot Boxer Reversing Switch Feed

speedy999

Hi,

New to the forum and motorhomes (finally got hacked off of being rained on in tents). Deciding to fit a rear view camera after I 'lost' a focus in my mirrors for a while.

Anyone fitted a rear view camera that switches on the reverse being engaged to a Boxer?

The fuse box look like it shares reversing with some other functions and I wondered if I can avoid having to run the trigger feed from the gearbox itself?

Thanks

One alternative is to run the trigger feed from the + side of the reversing light lamp holder. You should be able to use a "piggy back" connector. It is a long feed, and will need protecting, and a lot of clipping up under the van, but at least the lamp holder is relatively easy to get at. :-) Any use?

On a 2007 reg it could be one of the last X244 or a X250, x244 is the older shape with more rounded front end, x250 is the new shape front with a significant "chin".

On X244 models a reverse light feed can be found behind the passenger side oddments box in the dash (small inset shelf if you like just below the outermost air vent. Prise this box out from the top and pull out the nest of wiring, in among all the harnesses you should find one with a smallish (about 12 wire positions from memory) and there will be two wires going in on one side with no corresponding wires on the other, one white one white red. Check with a volt meter but both should go live in reverse with ign on.

On X250 models open the drivers side dashboard fusebox, at the bottom right of this fusebox is a multiplug plugged into the fuesbox that is covered by a steel plate, in amongst the various wires going into this plug will be a slightly heavier green wire, again check with voltmeter but this should go live in reverse ign on.

HTH.

D.

Now you know where to find the power feed it is much simpler to fit a Reversing camera kit where the camera takes its power from the monitor.

Run the on-power and reverse feed to the monitor, connect the composite cable between the monitor and the camera, job done.

These types of kits are usually supplied with a sturdy cable with lockable connectors so there is no problem in running the cable along the underside of the van.

This type of installation will also avoid all the problems discussed in the following post;

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Reversing-camera-wiring/35265/

I'm not sure if speedy999 is actually considering fitting a 'wireless-camera' system (though I admit that the mention of a "camera" in the original posting suggests he might be.)

In principle, if 'only-on-when-reversing' is required, it ought to be possible to power/trigger a wireless camera via a reversing-light as Brian suggests. The cable run would be quite short and the monitor would need to be separately powered, but it ought to work. However, a potential obstacle to this might be if the motorhome has a CANBUS wiring system that includes the reversing-light.

Dave , Thanks I now know its a 244.

Its a wired twin camera. And I am going to mount it above the back rack, run it through all the cupboards and then (now I know where to look) take the power feeds for the cameras and TFT and the reverse switching feed from the wires on the left hand side.

Thanks for your help,

Ian

speedy999 - 2014-07-18 2:14 PM

Dave , Thanks I now know its a 244.

Its a wired twin camera. And I am going to mount it above the back rack, run it through all the cupboards and then (now I know where to look) take the power feeds for the cameras and TFT and the reverse switching feed from the wires on the left hand side.

Thanks for your help,

Ian

Take the main power feed from the orange wire at the ignition switch, the reverse light feed should only be used as a signal wire to tell the system to switch cameras, not as a power feed.

D.

Archived