Sleeples in Gravelines

Cliffy

We stopped over night at Gravelline Aire last week. I say stopped rather than slept as they have a couple of roads closed for major repairs and the trafic is being diverted to the road behind the Aire. Between 4 am and 6 am all the port staff seem to pass that way, then it goes quiet for an hour then starts again. We did at least get home earlier than expected as we got up and went for an earlier crossing but driving 300 miles after only 5 hours sleep is not good.

We have been looking for the location of the Gravelines Aire for a couple of years now and never managed to find it and had to move on. Our Aires Book is 3rd edition and I know they have changed it, but the map references and the 'instructions' in the book lead us to a housing estate.

Glad you found it, but by the sound of it, not a place I want to stay even if I managed to get there. Hope its better for you next time as agree 300 miles of 5 hours of sleep is not good. :-S

Its a pity about the noise as this is an excellent aires in a very nice location and very handy for an overnight before ferry. Hopefully works completed for my next visit.

As far as finding the aires, the aires book is slightly misleading as when you come up to the canal you bear right across the canal and at the traffic lights turn left along the side of the canal. At the roundabout straight on and then immediately turn left. Aires is on right just past garage workshop. Google shows motorhomes parked on quay side but this is now for use by marina which is being extended. Third time lucky :-D

Turn left here https://www.google.com/maps/@50.982839,2.12118,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scxGZBaUN0psSpL3IG1SvVw!2e0

Pass straight through with road to old town on right

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.986773,2.122723,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stxDy7b9B4rGYU2LQLvK3tw!2e0

Go straight through at roundabout and turn next left https://www.google.com/maps/@50.987302,2.122883,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s32jB2eukBigfTswNhJqjsQ!2e0

Aires

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.988228,2.122472,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLZ4ivQ-LNyofWqsundU5Lw!2e0

You will need to use the "rotate button" to get correct view

Guest JudgeMental
Gravelines a good aire in comparison to many and normally peaceful......have you never heard of ear plugs.

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-07-16 10:40 AM

Gravelines a good aire in comparison to many and normally peaceful......have you never heard of ear plugs.

My new gasmask will have built-in ear plugs for only £20 extra. An essential item for anyone travelling to lawless France, which is full of thieves with large gas tankers just waiting to pounce.

£319.99 isn't too much to pay for peace of mind surely? PM me for full details.

Guest JudgeMental

sorry but I'm one step a ahead........we favor full biological suits (bargain USSR stylee)

attached a picture from Calais Aire last year of the Mental clan....

suits.jpg.7c9ccf2da61fda24c00a6ac7c8f4c560.jpg

sshortcircuit - 2014-07-16 9:56 AM

Its a pity about the noise as this is an excellent aires in a very nice location and very handy for an overnight before ferry. Hopefully works completed for my next visit.

As far as finding the aires, the aires book is slightly misleading as when you come up to the canal you bear right across the canal and at the traffic lights turn left along the side of the canal. At the roundabout straight on and then immediately turn left. Aires is on right just past garage workshop. Google shows motorhomes parked on quay side but this is now for use by marina which is being extended. Third time lucky :-D

Turn left here https://www.google.com/maps/@50.982839,2.12118,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scxGZBaUN0psSpL3IG1SvVw!2e0

Pass straight through with road to old town on right

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.986773,2.122723,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stxDy7b9B4rGYU2LQLvK3tw!2e0

Go straight through at roundabout and turn next left https://www.google.com/maps/@50.987302,2.122883,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s32jB2eukBigfTswNhJqjsQ!2e0

Aires

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.988228,2.122472,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLZ4ivQ-LNyofWqsundU5Lw!2e0

You will need to use the "rotate button" to get correct view

Thanks for this explicit information. I have saved it and hopefully we will get there next year, at least, one lives in hope :-D

JudgeMental - 2014-07-16 10:40 AMGravelines a good aire in comparison to many and normally peaceful......have you never heard of ear plugs.

Brilliant why didn't I think of that?
Maybe because they are uncomfortable to use for long periods, don't kill the noise and vibration and if they did we would probably sleep in and miss the early morning tunnel booking. 

I, like many others on here have stopped over at Gravelines a number of times  I was trying to give people the heads up if they were planning to stop there in the near future. 

What value did your post add to the thread?

Nil I think.

Guest JudgeMental
Ah! but there are different quality and types of ear plugs...As for what my post adds it is that sometimes sh*t happens and you end up staying somewhere with noise so choices are: move on or use decent ear plugs....While your tendency is to announce your fickle prejudices and discourage others from staying at perfectly good overnight stops....

Just to make you aware. Stopped briefly at Gravelines, which is a regular stop off for us when using Dunkirk, a couple of weeks back but left due to severe rat infestation. They have made 'nests' in the banking to the rear of the parking and can be seen running out to the waste bins looking for scraps, some of which they found on the parking area! We are talking major amounts of rats here not just one or two, at one point we counted 11 at the same time running under vans as well as the waste bins.

We wondered why several vans had parked then left, when we realised we moved too and stopped on the quayside instead.

Your choice, obviously, if you don't mind the possibility of getting rats on board somewhere, makes a change from migrants at Calais though I suppose!

Basil

Basil - 2014-07-23 9:54 PM

Your choice, obviously, if you don't mind the possibility of getting rats on board somewhere, makes a change from migrants at Calais though I suppose!

Basil

The French will find a way of getting the Rats to "prefer" to live in UK, probably help hem to board

PJay

Basil - 2014-07-23 9:54 PMJust to make you aware. Stopped briefly at Gravelines, which is a regular stop off for us when using Dunkirk, a couple of weeks back but left due to severe rat infestation. They have made 'nests' in the banking to the rear of the parking and can be seen running out to the waste bins looking for scraps, some of which they found on the parking area! We are talking major amounts of rats here not just one or two, at one point we counted 11 at the same time running under vans as well as the waste bins.We wondered why several vans had parked then left, when we realised we moved too and stopped on the quayside instead.Your choice, obviously, ifo you don't mind the possibility of getting rats on board somewhere, makes a change from migrants at Calais though I suppose!Basil

No doubt Judgmental will reply shortly to say "Have you not heard of rat poison"

Sorry couldn't resist it. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
That's a shame won't be using that stop again on our return! Always liked staying there as an easy walk into town for a few drinks and a meal . But being by water I guess the rats have always been there but maybe not in that number! Cheers Basil fir heads up..........currently in the Alsace doing some cycling on way to Italy.......

Brian Kirby - 2014-07-25 12:46 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-07-25 8:31 AM..............currently in the Alsace doing some cycling on way to Italy.......

Blimey! You won't arf be fit by the time you arrive! Didn't know the batteries lasted that long. :-D

....only on a quality German e-bike, Brian. Yer cheap Chinese rubbish wouldn't get him beyond Dulwich.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Got drenched today as weather has turned..it's all thunder and lightening. Plus anywhere we are heading on route to Italy don't look much better! Destination mixed as well.....ah well at least we managed to get away....."

Archived