Motorhomes and ferries

ladydodd

Hi, brand new to the forum and yes I know that theoretically MH can be taken on ferries BUT...

Ferry comparison sites seem to stop at 3 metres height and our Barry is 3.2 metres high. Does this mean 1) we always have to phone up (which costs more) and can't book online or 2) only certain ferries oblige by allowing us on board or 3) we lie and keep our fingers crossed or 4) what???

Thanks

I reckon you'd be OK as long as it's an operator that takes HGVs, in my experience they just tend to group anything over 2m high in with the lorries anyway. they may view it differently on the Tunnel but ferries should be OK.

Merely because ferry comparison websites may limit vehicle-height to 3 metres does not automatically mean ferry companies will view this as a maximum height for motorhomes. For example, this Brittany Ferries webpage shows that motorhomes up to 4 metres in height are permissiible.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/booking-info-correct-vehicle

I suggest you browse the websites of those ferry operators you might be interested in travelling with to confirm what their vehicle dimension-limits are. If you do find a particular ferry operator sets a height-limit below the height of your motorhome and choose to ignore this when booking, you might well hit problems when you arrive at the ferry-port or when embarking.

http://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/motorhomes-and-ferries/

http://ferrycrossings.org.uk/ferry-travel/travelling-with-a-motorhome-or-caravan-by-ferry/

Provided that a ferry operator's vehicle dimensional maxima permit your motorhome to be carried, it should be possible to book crossings on-line via that operator's own website.

We are 3.2 meters high. Used the tunnel once, no problem with height. we were on it behind a bus which is much higher We regularly use Brittany, no problem with height. We mainly use the fast cat from Portsmouth, and you have to back on to that. You find that although some only go up to 3 mtr, there is room above, but it is best to state your height when booking.

PJay

Just another note on the ferry comparison websites, they do not always give the best price. The past few times we've gone to France P&O offered the best prices at the times we wanted to travel on their own website.

Thanks to one and all for replying. Sounds like I just need to be thorough in my research and clear about the height of my van and use MMM as a starting point.

Cheers again, it's a relief to know we're not restricted to the uk anyway.

JD

Tunnel and ferries have decks for cars and decks for anything over 2m, you pay more for the height but you just go in with the coaches. Don't forget Ireland as an option, they drive on the left , speak English, although very quickly with a few consonants missing. Empty roads and cheaper diesel. Look out for ferry deals, or it can be expensive.

ladydodd - 2014-07-15 4:29 PM

Thanks to one and all for replying. Sounds like I just need to be thorough in my research and clear about the height of my van and use MMM as a starting point.

Cheers again, it's a relief to know we're not restricted to the uk anyway.

JD

Our van is on ly over 3 mtr because of having a dome. Ferries are usually very good with hieight, as they are experienced (Most) The ferry is the least thing to worry about, just make sure to drive on the correct side of road!!

Enjoy your trip, once over the water, you will never want to stay in Uk. Weather better (mostly) and much more Mh friendly than in UK

OH and welcome to the forum. You will get good answers, (and some sarcastic!) so don't be afreaid to ask.

PJay

Archived