advice for a newbie please

ccj71

Hi. We are planning on buying our 1st motorhome.

weve done lots of research online and in magaxines, and been to 4 different showrooms looking at different models and layouts.

this is where I need some help.

we had decided we lijed the swift kontiki 669 or the autotrail comanche.

however today, having for the first time seen the shear size and length of these, my partnerhas said no way. Too big.

so. I would like a fixed island bed.

a door to seperate the bedroom.

Preferably the loo not to be ensuite.

either a coachbuild or high line as we want the over cab bed for kids.

and a double dinette with 4 seat belts so 6 can travel safely.

but not an 8 metre beast!!

Is there such a thing on the market??

Any help and advice gratefully accepted. :)

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the forum......

Frankly if you want everything on your wish list ;-).......................You'll need a big van to fit it all in...........have you tried a test drive?...............as there is little difference between driving a 6 metre van and a 8 metre in my view ..............Maybe hiring one for a week will help you decide (?)

Welcome to the Forum Claire,

Are you looking to buy a new one of these big beasts? If so, that's an awful lot of dosh if you get it wrong!

Pelmetman's 'hire before you buy' advice is good.

Do either or both of you have the necessary C1 licence to drive a van over 3.5 Kg.?, which both of these behemoths would appear to be, as would most motorhomes withe 6 belted seats.

Take a look at some of the continental vans, Claire; Burstner, in particular, might just suit your requirements.

As a mere 2-person campervanner, I don't feel that I can add much more, but there are likely to be others who will come along who can probably help you -- particularly the Hymer fans!

Good luck in your search!

Colin.

Guest JudgeMental
new or used? C1 licence as already mentioned. if used proceed with caution and get it damp checked. You are probably looking at a 4.5 ton van to be anywhere near practicable for 6 people and there stuff...Small is beautiful I say, my kids where always happier sleeping in a tent. very easy to get carried away when looking at the big shinny boxes..but when away your normally out of the van most of the time enjoying yourselves......... think long and hard about this!

Hi all. Thank you for your help already :)

As I am quickly discovering the kind and helpful people in the motor home community seem 2nd to none :)

We are both pretty 1997 so c is not a problem. And my partner drives asda delivery vans bringing out the home shopping, so he's had some experience of driving a truck.

We are looking used. New ones look gorgeous but mega bucks for all the whistles and bells!

Guest JudgeMental
in that case there are lots of potential problems and considerations (buying new bad enough) dont get carried away....

Hi We have discovered that it would be best to make a list of the Wants and Would be nice features. The top of the list seems to be a proper double bed with some shut off space away from the kids. I am also thinking 6 berth with 6 seats with seat belts would be nice,but that all depends on how often everyone will want to come away with us. The size of the van only really bothers me if the sat nav sent me down a country lane and no possible turn around point as we found recently on isle of wight in a 7 seater car ! Mind you it gave loads of dog walkers something to moan about I suppose :) sorry sat nav honest :)(Ccj71 other half. :) )

Guest pelmetman
There's your first lesson..................don't trust the satnav :D...............I work on the bus stop principal..........if a road has bus stops then you'll get a camper through ;-)..............

Afraid not Colin, that one has an end kitchen and no rear bed, also at that age the rear facing seats may only have lap belts. I do think they stand more chance of getting something suitable in an A Class if they can live without an island bed.

Archived