12 Volt Isolation Relay

Smiteman

Sorry if this is already covered.

I have a Bessacarr E760 Motorhome on a Fiat /Alco chassis 2.8 Diesel. Registered 2006.

This vehicle has a relay that performs 3 functions when the engine is started - like many other British Motorhomes.

1 Disconnects the habitation 12 volt system

2 Pulls the electric step in if this has not already been done

3 Allows the Fridge to run on 12 Volts

Whilst away in France I noticed that none of these things were happening any more, although they had been when we set off.

I am not knowledgeable about electronics or relays but have read everything I can in the Bessacarr Manual and Fiat Handbook - nothing helpful.

I have checked all the fuses in both of the in-cab Fuse Boxes as well as the ones in the Fuse/Relay box in the engine compartment. All seem to be well.

Any ideas please?

.... there are likely to be a separate couple of fuses, and the appropriate relays, for these functions on a bracket underneath the prominent black plastic cover at the top/back of the engine compartment.

Have you found and checked these?

Check not only the fuses but that the connectors to the fuse holders / relays are all clean and tight, especially any under the bonnet.

They might look OK but you may well have to pull each one off to check that they are clean and making firm contact.

Who would ever think of looking there?

So, when I did, I found a blue 15 amp fuse that had blown!!!!

Once replaced, everything worked just fine. Hopefully it won't blow again which will require an investigation as to why.

In the meantime, I am extremely happy.

Robinhood - you are indeed a STAR. Many Thanks.

Regards

John

Smiteman - 2014-07-18 6:14 PM

Sorry if this is already covered.

I have a Bessacarr E760 Motorhome on a Fiat /Alco chassis 2.8 Diesel. Registered 2006.

This vehicle has a relay that performs 3 functions when the engine is started - like many other British Motorhomes.

1 Disconnects the habitation 12 volt system

2 Pulls the electric step in if this has not already been done

3 Allows the Fridge to run on 12 Volts

Whilst away in France I noticed that none of these things were happening any more, although they had been when we set off.

I am not knowledgeable about electronics or relays but have read everything I can in the Bessacarr Manual and Fiat Handbook - nothing helpful.

I have checked all the fuses in both of the in-cab Fuse Boxes as well as the ones in the Fuse/Relay box in the engine compartment. All seem to be well.

Any ideas please?

Just for the record, there will normally be a separate relay for each of the three functions you mention, not just a single relay. There's a basic wiring diagram here

http://buildacampervan.com/electrical-systems/

showing a system incorporating a fridge relay and isolation relay. Your motorhome will have another relay to control automatic retraction of the step.

....glad you found them and it solved your problem.

If you find it re-occurs, you may find the appropriate wiring diagram from the Sargent site here, useful:

http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/eshop328964.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Categories/TechData/%22System%20Schematics%22/%22Swift%20Group%22

Edited to add (as Derek has edited his above post whilst I was typing).

There are separate relays, but as the wiring diagram indicates, the fridge and step circuit are both protected by the same 15 amp fuse.

AFAIK, the 12v isolation is provided "internally" in the Sargent unit, and my suspicion is that this is controlled by sensing on the same fuse-protected circuit (hence your symptoms).

Archived