IS IT ME?

John H

Am I alone in thinking that this forum has gone down the tubes over the last few months. It seems to have been hijacked by people who think the aim of the forum is to see how many stars they can get by their name and nothing at all to do with motorhomes. I joined the forum when we were looking for our first motorhome, last year. I found the information on the forum very helpful and the advice given by people such as Derek, Clive, Dave, Don etc etc was invaluable. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble for them to give good advice to people such as myself. In the past few months, I have had to plough through pages and pages of drivel, consisting of silly, single line posts which have nothing to do with motorhoming. Surely, this sort of bilge would be more suited to MSN Messenger or a teenage chat room. I suppose I will be accused of being a sad, boring old fart who hasn't got a "GSOH" and am unable to "LOL" at every conceivable moment but the forum is called "Motorhome Matters", after all and unless people want to contribute or learn from it, they should look for a forum that better suits their needs. My post are mainly ones, asking for advice from people with more experience than me. I have chipped in when I can with advice but I am still quite new to motorhoming and people who know more than me have usually answered the questions. I am a great believer in speaking when I've got something to say. John.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:-D Hi John H. I have asked this question many MANY times on other forums. The answer is ALWAYS the same. Some people like to chat about things that are in a way (very small) connected with Motorhomes and the Motorhome lifestyle. I personally am with you. Happy Motorhoming. May your travels be many and your troubles be few. ;-)

Hi John H- I do so agree with you, I said the same thing last spring time and was informed that it did not say anywhere on the forum that people could not pratt around ( or words to that effect) but some of the pages of drivel would not even be allowed in a school farce. I am afraid that as soon as I see how a topic is desending into garbage I quickly look else where. I dont want members to think I am a miserable sod either, I like a joke the same as anybody, but come on. Matters on motorhoming is what its all about, if people want to become stand up comics, I am sure there is a web site somewhere for them. Yours respectfully . Chas

John, I also agree. I fear I may have unwittingly contributed to the malaise with a recent thread that I instigated - it had a serious motorhoming subject, but quickly degenerated. >:-( Perhaps the moderators could consider a separate forum for social chit chat. (?) (?)

Robin, That's an excellent idea - a separate chit chat forum. I agree with the basic premise. Too often now I go back to a thread to check whether the original question has been answered only to find that it's been hijacked by a lot of off-subject chit chat. It's a pity because it seems that more and more of those who can answer queries are choosing to absent themselves from the forum. I wonder if any of the 'chatters' will respond to this thread?

Hi, I too have to agree , although only been on here 2 days , I have asked a number of questions but to no avail, we are desperate to know all about buying our first motor home, and the ins and outs of the things we think we need but not sure on. I am sorry I started the one about my name but I had no idea how to get rid of it and the moderators kindly put me straight in the end. Some of the facts you have written Mel have been excellent, I am trying to soak as much as I can up of what you have said, to take to York with us next week, Keep up the good work. thanks to you all :-D :-D

I am going to be the first dissenter to this thread. The forum is open to all now wheras before it was limited to readers/subscribers to MMM this has led to the chit chat that you so dislike perhaps the moderator should set up a seperate chit chat forum. H However that will not stop threads being replied to in a humorous fashion if it is appropriate it happened several times in the old MMM forum. On this aspect is a moderator going to examine every reply and decide whether or not it is too funny, or whose sense of homour applies? Questions about motorhome matters are in the main replied to promptly. A quick checkof the first thrfee pages revealed only one question unanswered but the question was aking about problems people had with a particular van. With no answers I would interpret this as no problems experienced. I think that the forum is not nescessarily now about motorhomes but about motorhomers. People with a shared interst in life who feel that they can use this forum to communicate with like minded people about their shared interest and other matters as well. I suppose that the original post is not about motorhome matters so should it have been posted on this forum? There is enough censorship re certain dealer on the forum please do not try to impose any more. A happy forum contributor.l Docted

Docted, you have said it in one . When I first joined I asked serious questions. I cannot have a control over the replie's that come back wether they are funny or not ....Still I have plowed on perhap's being silly at times & I am the first to hold my hand's up& appologise. However as you state, Question's about Motorhomes are in the main replied to straight away. I agree it is not nescessarily about motorhomes but about motorhomer's and hoping to find like minded people on here . we only have one life surely there is room for a giggle. I wish to point out that I do avoid people's serious conversation's if I have nothing to contribute good. And also wish to point out that I have given a few good reply's . This may not meet everyones high standard of reading & writing but never the less I have tried . Don't take away all the giggles there's room for both Perhap's those that like agiggle should move up to the chit chat forum. and only pop down now and again when they need serious reading or have a serious question . After all surely you can't have serious question's all the time. but find it still nice to read other's stuff . :-(

Michele and Docted, I think the problem arises when a reasonably serious question is hijacked by a lot of - perhaps humorous to some - idle chatter. Yes, Docted, you're broadly right - most questions do get an answer. But, until recently, others would add their own two-penn'orth thereby increasing enormously the richness of the responses. I perceive that we're in real danger of losing that richness, which would be a great pity, because the thread has moved off subject into totally 'other' territory. Of course it's an open forum and anyone can post whatever they like, within the rules of decency and the law. But it would be really nice to keep this forum as a real help to each other - I post questions as well as attempting to answer others' and have found it invaluable in the past. Perhaps the answer is to try and confine the social intercourse to threads specifically titled for such a purpose.

hi Another reason is that people come on forum who dont know each other then after a period of months get to know certain people and it turns into a chit chat which goes off topic just natural evolution i am afraid you can not stop it all forums evolve the pub analagy is a good example. was likened to going down the pub with your mates. Yes, you talk about the beer, the surroundings, the bar peronnel, but you also talk about football, politics, religion, work, hobbies, interests, music, etc etc etc. I think this is a particularly good analogy. some agree some dont *-) that s life but it does crate me when the main question does not get answered ! and gets hijacked on any forum saruman

Mel E , Taken on board what you have said . I am guilty of answering some of them with humour . On the whole I stay out of people's serious thread's you must agree and usually start my own silly or not to people. I do not hijack your thread's and leave well alone when people are learning and contributing.. but I can not take all the blame for the way people start them some yes .....not all . :-S

Mel E , Taken on board what you have said . I am guilty of answering some of them with humour . On the whole I stay out of people's serious thread's you must agree and usually start my own silly or not to people. I do not hijack your thread's and leave well alone when people are learning and contributing.. but I can not take all the blame for the way people start them some yes .....not all . :-S

Believe it or not even a large group of motorhomers will have all different types of personalities , some are technical, some are not, some are funny, some are not, some enjoy chatting to other people, some do not. Some mix with others on site, some don't. Lets keep it like that. If someone wants to chit chat with like minded people they won't find it on msm. So live and let live and don't be so stuffy. Personally I enjoy the funny and the serious stuff and have contributed both. After all there only so many questions. The end is nigh!!

Its not you John. As I said before, this is a minagery, as the last few posts display. You would think that as its a motor home forum, then a picture of a motorhome would be appropriate. Just dogs cats and ferrets. Its like Compo emtying his pockets. How do you take these contributers seriously, as said on another forum., the cat and doggy brigade

I am trying to see both sides of the coin: To everyone who is against the 'chit-chat' as it's called, can I please suggest that you have a look at your own replies to postings before condemning others and making comments about those in your eyes who do it, you'll probably find that you've done it as well, whether purposely or inadvertently. Yes sometimes it goes a bit too daft but then again I'd rather that than not at all as it would be pretty boring without some of the wonderfully observant and funny comments - some of them have had me in absolute stitches and cheered me up no end when I've had a hard day at work. If it's not your cup of tea then that's fine, but please don't condemn those of us that actually enjoy a bit of pratting around every now and then, I'm sure we try not to spoil it for others and hope that others have a giggle as well. Even the 'wise ones' who have been contributing valuable info for ages have their moments of fun as well. What I find annoying is when someone posts a legitimate question and it is ignored and doesn't get a response at all, it must be really frustrating from them not knowing if anyone is really bothered. If that's the case then I'd rather put a one line answer to keep them interested and know that someone is at least reading their posting, even if I can't answer it. I just hope that we don't loose people by making them think TOO much and be overly concerned about what others think if they crack a joke, or have a bit of fun etc, when responding/writing to postings or, indeed, that they refrain from posting at all in case they get chastised, that would be the end of the forum totally. We're all different, all have different ideas, views and senses of humour, lets keep it that way. Mel B PS: As for the pictures, it's up to the individual to put a pictures of whatever they feel they want to display, if we want to look at pictures of just motorhomes we can look at the MMM mag and all the ads from dealers and private ads, I'd rather see something a bit different from time to time. I had a black rat earlier as my posting picture, not a ferret, if that's the one that is being referred to, and the relevance was that he used to go everywhere with us in our motorhome, as do the dogs that some are putting on their postings, individuality again, we make our own choices.

Docted I have no problem with humour. Clive who I think is one of the most informative members of the forum, often gives answers to questions in a humorous way. It's the drivel that I object to. I am not trying to censor people. In fact, I think it works the other way because I think people are not bothering with the site anymore because they haven't got the time or patience to plough through the garbage to get to the interesting stuff. I realise that people with a common interest will go off thread and talk about other stuff but when it comes to pages and pages of absolute rubbish, I think it's a bit much. John.

John H I think you'll find that the forum went pretty quiet BEFORE a lot of the funny bits started up, I put this down to many being away on holiday over the summer and some of us trying to liven things up a bit before they got back. I think it's a bit out of proportion to suggest that the funny stuff is putting people off, it can also encourage others to use the forum as they can see that we're not all stuffy and restrictive - the forum is still very lively and informative, and has variety, something for all, let's keep it that way.

I for one totally agree with John's comments,and have become increasingly dis enchanted with this forum because of the increase in "off thread" chit chat. I do not think that those of us who agree with John lack a sense of humour,as has been suggested. I personally have enjoyed much of the humour on this and the previous MMM site but believe that there is a difference between humour and spurious chat chat has only a vague association with the thread and motorhoming in general. Thank you John for raising this matter. Geoff

John H , If it's me you are having a dig at why not just come right out and say it. I see the comment's you made re the stars and nothing to do with camper van's. Does that apply to everyone who ask's in your mind, a silly question? What I mean by that is lot's of people ask question such as how do you get a pic on here, I want to change my name & me such as the one you mention above . Now I am guilty of having a laugh for that I do not appologise . To single me out, in my mind is a bit unfair. If you look closely you will see that I did not start this thread it was started week's ago by someone. It became a standing joke between a few & why not I ask. To put that, which is obviously directed at me is slightly cutting to say the least . If you see something with my name on then it is obviously dribble don't waste your time in reading it .To get personal is a bit close to the mark. Some people like it you only have to look at the ratings as pointed out to me . As said before by quite a few others there is room on here for both & may I remind a few on here they have thanked me for being so friendly with a joke because in their word's they saw the others as to serious and did not know how to take them... & as you say vice versa. Well we can't win em all. Anyone who is interested will stick around. Some are put off by the jokes & some by the seriousness why can't we all live together in harmony. I agree with melB lot's are away on holiday's and the forum went quiet age's ago. For everyone's info I did not just join a few month's ago I originally joined Oct 05 when I had to log in with a MMM number from the mag. My question then was serious Re oxygen up the french Alp's & I got very helpful serious informative reply's. I have sat in the background for nearly a year with nothing to say & I have never once butted into anyones thread's in that year just watched and read Michele. :-S

From my point of view some of the questions and answers throughout the summer have been good for a laugh. Yes ther has been serious questions and answers. We cant please everyone all of the time. Life is like the giant Roller Coaster, it has its up and downs. But the answer to the forum is if you dont like it get off. The same applies to Sites CC and C&CC, Commercial sites CLs, CS. Some people like big noisy sites others like quiet friendly ones and theres those that want to be on there own some of the time. Its a funny old World out there so lets live and let live. If more people in this World just got on with there lives and did not interfere with other people lives there would be less trouble in the World today. There thats got that off my chest. Keep up the good work everyone whether you be serious or funny. Keep posting. David PS OK Mel I expect some of the spelling is wrong, but as long as its readable.

[QUOTE]David Dwight - 2006-09-15 9:38 PM If more people in this World just got on with there lives and did not interfere with other people lives there would be less trouble in the World today. David, I think the question John H is trying to ask is 'who's doing the interfering' on the forum. I have absolutely no problem with humour - it's the only thing that stops most of us from going mad! I also have no problem with daft chit chat, provided it's confined to threads established for the purpose. Like, I suspect, many forum users, I frequently scan threads which I haven't responded to in order to see what I can learn from the answers. It has become quite difficult, as John H says, to find the genuine answers amongst the idle banter. That's, I think, is all anyone is suggesting needs attention. . . .

[QUOTE]sshortcircuit - 2006-09-15 7:55 PM Its not you John. As I said before, this is a minagery, as the last few posts display. You would think that as its a motor home forum, then a picture of a motorhome would be appropriate. Just dogs cats and ferrets. Its like Compo emtying his pockets. How do you take these contributers seriously, as said on another forum., the cat and doggy brigade[/QUOTE] Fail to see why anyone with a picture of a dog cannot make a serious contribution to motorhome matters. I hope some of my previous contributions have been both serious and informative and personally would happily accept serious advice from motorhome users that don't have a dog. Regards, david

Archived