IS IT ME?

John H

OK - so if you see a thread becoming what you consider to be OT, then add your own comments to bring it back on topic! How sad it is when people won't 'chat' - I joined to see what types of motorcaravans were popular; what problems others' experienced; where to camp; but if it's done in a question and answer only way then it gets dull and boring. I note also that my thread in the 'walking' room hasn't had one response - maybe no one walks any more? So in answer to your question - yes it probably is you. So lighten up and add your comments!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well said Lizzy, So Is now a time to return to harmony ? Hopefully we can all get on in peace, as said by so many. The forum is open to everyone laugh's or not . If people wish to laugh then let them & at the same time, let the serious be serious. I also add in some people's defence . I don't think people intentionally do it. The intention is not to upset people . Why can't we all just get on in harmony after all it's a short life. :-S

My two penneth...

What an interesting read this has been!  I came back from holiday and needed lots of forum catch-up, and hence I have come to this thread cold.

I think we all need to have a good think about what this forum is about, and what we personally want from it.  My reason for joining was to learn anything and everything, and hopefully contribute where I can.  I am certainly not short of a laugh, and will be first in at every party (I'm Australian, after all!), but I do want a place where I can drop a question and have it answered seriously.  Some humour is always good for the soul, and I believe there is plenty of room for it in this forum, but it all comes down to a matter of degree. 

Despite what some would like to believe, a forum is not a conversation, it is a series of discrete comments, without body language, tone or expression to guide us.  If someone starts a thread, it is only by the good will and discipline of others that it will complete successfully.

There is an etiquette that should be followed, I believe.  Here are some of the issues discussed above...

1. The regular question, answer or comment.  Described as boring by some, and the reason for joining by others.  This is the bread and butter of this forum and the reason for being.  Without it, the forum will close.  Respect the people who only ever ask a serious question and need a serious answer.

2. A thread that goes off-topic, sometimes never to return.  If the thread started as a question or a comment, this can leave the originator very angry; it is akin to losing the wind when sailing, and if done without the originator's consent, it is disrespectful.  It leaves the originator to have to work hard to get the thread back or to start another.  Or to simply go elsewhere.

3. A thread that is sprinkled with humour.  Assuming the humour is well received, it adds life and bounce to a topic, keeping the forum and us interesting and interested.  Remember, though, that we are a group of people of all ages, and all walks of life.  "Funny" is objective.

4. Chit Chat threads.  I'm suspicious this is the one that is the most contentious.  Some amongst us, who see this forum as a place for serious people with serious topics obviously want this stopped.  But unless the moderators state otherwise, chit chat threads are going to continue.  Given that we are a diverse lot, chit chatters might simply want to remember that "moderation" will keep the moderators away and the rest of the forum of your back!

My humble opinion.  Hiding in the corner lest someone throws something at me!!!

hi Another reason is that people come on forum who dont know each other then after a period of months get to know certain people and it turns into a chit chat which goes off topic just natural evolution i am afraid you can not stop it all forums evolve the pub analagy is a good example. was likened to going down the pub with your mates. Yes, you talk about the beer, the surroundings, the bar peronnel, but you also talk about football, politics, religion, work, hobbies, interests, music, etc etc etc. I think this is a particularly good analogy. some agree some dont that s life but it does crate me when the main question does not get answered ! and gets hijacked on any forum S

mom You talk a lot of sense! I had decided yesterday to walk away and not bother with the forum again but when I saw your post I thought it deserved a reply. I think that, like most things in life, there needs to be guidelines to be worked to because if there are none, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will take things to the extreme and spoil things for everyone else. As you said in your post "There is an etiquette that should be followed". I suppose this will be looked on by some as being stuffy and restrictive but if it is, I suppose it must be me. A lot of people have jumped on the humour bandwagon but as I have mentioned in previous posts, I like a laugh as much as anyone else but as you said "Funny" is objective. I will say again that it is not the humour I complained about, it was the huge amount of drivel. John

[QUOTE]John H - 2006-09-17 9:04 AM mom You talk a lot of sense! I had decided yesterday to walk away and not bother with the forum again but when I saw your post I thought it deserved a reply. I think that, like most things in life, there needs to be guidelines to be worked to because if there are none, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will take things to the extreme and spoil things for everyone else. As you said in your post "There is an etiquette that should be followed". I suppose this will be looked on by some as being stuffy and restrictive but if it is, I suppose it must be me. A lot of people have jumped on the humour bandwagon but as I have mentioned in previous posts, I like a laugh as much as anyone else but as you said "Funny" is objective. I will say again that it is not the humour I complained about, it was the huge amount of drivel. John[/QUOTE] John, I subscribe to about 20 motorhome/travel/camping forums and most go through this phase now and again. It will pass, but this forum will never get back to the MMM forum days and we will just have to except that. Don

So am I and others to take it that you want us off permanent. Only we have moved said sorry said our bit's you have said your bit's . and I notice that people are still having a go. We are not all the same thank god or the world would not go round . Like the good lady said yesterday . If you see something that is off thread SAY SO that way it wakes everyone up..........

I have stopped looking in as regularly as I first did due to having to trawl through masses of trivial and nonsensical posts that have no bearing on motorhomes at all. I am not a kill joy, I have a strong sense of humour and I believe that humour can be injected into replies whilst still staying true to the post one is answering. As has already been pointed out there is an outlet for those who wish to chat about non motorhome matters and I do not understand why it is not used. If others stay away for similar reasons there will be less likelihood that questions will be answered in the detail that has been the norm in the past and that will be a loss to all. It is after all a forum for motorhome owners and those considering purchasing one and I do not think that it is valid to simply label those that wish to see it remain such as humourless stuffed shirts.

And to think that when I opened this thread I expected to see a comment from dear old Wogan ;-) 'is it me?' is probably a trade mark by now :-D [TOGS will understand!] Life's too short to be glum ...... or to lack a sense of humour ....... having survived breast cancer any day for me is a bonus so on each Forum I subscribe to I skip threads that don't appeal ....... have a giggle where appropriate [or not ;-) ] try to answer newbies queries so that they don't feel they've been ignored ........... How can we achieve World Peace if we bicker on a Forum *-)

Lizzy, I will probably be moaned at for going off thread :-( Anyway I am going to say it . Well done you, something that makes you wonder about life & that could take anyone of us at anytime .........There for the grace of God go I ......you are amazing and you still keep smiling threw it. (lol) well done lizzy I wish you all the best & yes a sense of humour makes things better . If you can't laugh at yourself have a joke who can you laugh at. Wish you all the best lizzy ;-)

Thanks Michelle I also have a long history of depression .... whoops OT again ;-) Lighten up - it's a free World and we're a long while dead! If peeps weren't here moaning about OT threads, what else would they be doing *-) ??? Off to look round 'chat' :-D .......... then lunch, then walk the dogs, then make the builders a cuppa ........ anyone bringing eclairs (?) :D

Could even be exchanging medical experiences John. Something to keep us occupied on cold winter nights. Half my gubbins are sitting in a laboratory jar somewhere. Any takers. With over a thousand viewings, doesn,t this give us insight into how peoples minds work. Howard.

Thank you so much John for standing up & writing this artical Its so good to see that you have posted this piece & it looks like there are lots of peoplebeing put off posting anything on this forum Due to there piece being taken over by a few people that A use ths forum as a chat room & B just post any drivle to get a score against their name I belivethat they all now who they are & i would ask that they refrain from posting such one liners over & over again Im not going to state that i dont approve of this kind of humur because i do not like it in any way This used to be a good forum for those of us that needed genuine answers or guidence to questions & problems that caused us consern or anguish.From others that could help or give somtimes much needed support I have posted warnings to others in the post to help other motorhomers It then does no help so ever with the postings of such drivel all it does is put people off our forum So whoever you are your doing this forum no good service I would re iterate that could those that can post a suitable helpfull reply to the forums please carry on using the forum And lets all start making it the 1st place anyone choses to post letters People like me need there input & support from time to time & the others (Mr Or Mrs one linerers ) go take thier motor home with your humor & drive off into the sunset Please

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-09-21 11:21 AM If peeps weren't here moaning about OT threads, what else would they be doing *-) ??? [/QUOTE] B-) They could be asking and discussing how to fit and charge batteries. How to fit a Split charge relay. How to fit Solar Panels and their advantages. How to fit a ..................... How to fit a ..................... How to buy an RV/Motorhome from the USA/Europe. How to Insure an RV/Motorhome in the USA and tour with it. How to ship an RV/Motorhome back from the USA/Europe. How to convert a USA/European RV/Motorhome to UK specs. How to save money buying an RV/Motorhome. How to save money touring in an RV/Motorhome. How to .......... How to .......... How to .......... *-) Forget it the list is endless. Let's just chat. (lol) (lol)

Archived